Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dogs you have sailed with

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Dogs you have sailed with

I am sure a few on here have sailed with a few dogs onboard. Especially on passenger ships. One of the few classes of ship I never sailed on was a full blown passenger ship. Sailed on a couple 12 pass ships.
    When I sailed on ED's Ebani we usually carried a few priests south bound and Nuns north bound. One thing about carrying Priests no matter what watch you were on there was always someone to have a drink with in the bar when you came off watch lol. I cannot remember sailing with a Priest who was not Irish, same with the Nuns.
    But back to dogs. We carried a few down to west Africa two stick in my mind. We had Freetown crew and they were terrified of these two big boys(not these actual dogs) but the same breed. I love dogs and used to play with these two boys after watch. They lived on a purpose built kennel which was aft of the bridge. There was a wire runner and the dogs could get about the deck but not enough so they could get over the wall.wolf.jpg, masstiff.jpg, poddle.jpg, sometimes a dog can say a lot a nation!!!!
    Always preferred sailing with the priests you could have a good laugh with them father ted.jpg, the Nuns , well !!! my wife went to a Catholic school, never had a good word to say about nuns, obviously she did not meet this crowd then.Nuns.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dogs you have sailed with

We took A priest and 10 nuns down to the Congo on the Secondi EDs. Not long after the country erupted into violence and missionary's were being slaughtered, I often think what happened to those young nuns. first time out of Ireland and thrown into that situation. Den

3. Thanks N/A, cappy, Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

#2 Does not bear thinking about Denis, god willing they all made it out safely.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi denis Oshea#2
    good evening, its a pity that we have this woke and easily upset society, whom sadly want to re-write history,
    why you may ask ? well i remenber watching on all the relevent news programs of the day the BBC included, nuns whom may have or may not have been those same nuns or of the same order as the nuns that you fondly remember making passage on the Secondi,
    they where being dragged into the street by those very noble savages whom proceeded to stab, mutilate and eat one of the nuns hearts, The camera close ups distinctly showed the murderer cannibalise the nun and with the blood all around his mouth and face and hands he was shown eating the womans heart,
    i much doubt if the re-writers of the history of the immigrants into this country from africa will ever refer to this example of the noble savage, but i shall always remember how firstly that poor women must have suffered and her fellow nuns what of their fate.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure as to what Year this refers to, but my late Brother was with Colonel Mike Hoare in the Belgium Congo fighting the filth that were doing a lot of what i read here! Those Mercenaries although not liked by many, did a grand job there, sadly it all got pulled out for whatever reason??
    Greg (My Boet) did two stints there, and he was never the same person after that. Eventually Shooting Himself because of the Horrors that he went through and saw, told me many terrible stories about things that happened. Too gory to repeat on here!
    Thanks
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think it was 1969 I was paid off in Durban after 13 months on a Chowgule ship. Must have been just before the end of the tax year as the managers in London asked me if I wanted to stay in the hotel at their expense until April 5 th.which was about a week away . At first I said ok. Then this big scouse arrived at the same hotel , he was on RnR from the Congo and a mercenary. Saw me and took me as wanting to be his bosom drinking partner.He abused all the Cape Coloured catering staff in the hotel and I had visions of me finishing up beside him with my throat slit. So to hell with the tax rebate , phoned London and said get me out of here on the first flight. Don’t know if he was or had been with Hoare , but that was 68/69 ish at the end of March. JS...
    PS wrong again memory not what it was. Just had a look at records and was 21 March 1970 left ship in Durban , say 3 days before surrendering and wanting to go home. So missed being clear of the tax man by about 10 days .
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th April 2021 at 10:23 PM.
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Dogs you have sailed with sea dog.jpg from #4 the thread has been ruined. If you want to talk about a bunch of savages start another thread eh!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its the wind change Lewis, took it off course like many other Threads , so whats new !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Its the wind change Lewis, took it off course like many other Threads , so whats new !
    Cheers
    tee hee smacked botty lewis ....lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always nice to start the new week with a good laugh Cappy, kt
    R689823

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast