Thread: A view of Scotland/ RNLI

Lewis McColl Guest

Default A view of Scotland/ RNLI

It was a lovely clear day today. Popped down the coast road as I am seeking answers from the RNLI about the Cushendall (Red Bay)Trent class lifeboat , Corinne Whiteley. This boat is on a mooring buoy and this is a very exposed coast line. I have passed this boat station many times and looking out at the mooring the boat is on during some horrendous weather the boat takes a beating. I asked the RNLI why they did not build another life boat station for the Corinne Whiteley 14-32. Trying to get onboard that boat in bad weather cannot be fun. The station also has an Atlantic 85 RIB which is housed in the station.
    I imagine that is used to board the crew in bad weather. I have seen this boat moored in Glenarm harbour when the weather gets really lumpy as it is a well sheltered harbour. Seems daft to me that in bad weather the lifeboat cannot stay on station and they have to move her off station by about 8 miles. Why not just station the boat in Glenarm all year round. Glenarm does not dry out at any state of the tide. Strange one this as by stationing the Trent there and the Atlantic 85 at Red Bay would give better life boat cover.
    Anyway I am sure the RNLI think they know what they are doing. Usually boat crews live local, how long on a dark wet and windy night does it take to drive 8 miles on a twisty road from Cushendall to Glenarm at best 15 minutes.

This last photo is from Cushendun and that is the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland really clear day today.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th April 2021 at 12:45 AM.