Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Todays cargo ships.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Todays cargo ships.

I have been watching a serious of Life at Sea, on YouTube. Cargo ship out of Singapore with a Philippine*crew.80,000 tone ship. The last series they were in 'heavy weather'. I personally didn't think it was that bad. The chief engineer sat in his cabin*all night in case the ship went down. He admitted he was very nervous. Some of the crew said that they wanted a job ashore. Then they tied up in Singapore. All hands headed to the Malls. Not one went to a bar or house of ill repute. How times have changed. Glad I put my time in during the 50 and 60ties.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Todays cargo ships.

Not saying that is bad, just different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing like our days Dennis, and they will never be seen again. we had it all then, and spent our Youth with not a care how lovely that was. Something that i fear isnt around any longer, even the Seaman as you say are different, not gagging them but seem these days not to have the Bravado we did! No pain no gain as we used to say! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Den.
    Thinking about your post maybe the fact that they mostly have single cabins, and not the sort of home ports that we had;they don't mix all that well, so don't go and get sozzled like we were. They also send most of their money home, whereas we were lucky to payoff with enough for a few days leave.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Des mate
    Dont know what wages you got, but with me and this is honest as i have posted before, i was never short of a Quid, we got our Wages plus Sundays at Sea, Overtime as well. Then at each Major Port on the Mail Run a good Envelope from each Family that i served, always was god and i could never say that i got a bad Envelope!
    On the Round Africa was even better and got some real thick Envelopes when getting to KG5 . I used to send nearly half of what got back home as well, and still had plenty to spend! Zoot Suits, Shoes the Works, and Cash for the Ladies! Booze etc. Never had a worry in the world!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed one time with a chief engineer who was a bit of a social climber and he suggested that if in Yorkshire I should stay at a hotel on the moors called the Maryan Spout not too sure about the spelling , he stayed there every Xmas if at home with his family. He also named a few of the clientele who got there which included noted people trying to keep out of the limelight. So one time when home and doing bed and breakfast in various parts of England stayed there for a couple of nights. My real intention was hopefully to see one of the visitors he said was a regular .He was the ex master of one of the Queens, and wrote a book called I Captained the Big Ships , I had just read and thought he would be a good person to ask about a few of his statements , unfortuanetley he wasn’t there at the same time however. One of his statements was that the first class bar manager was the highest paid man in the crew of the vessel , and whilst he had a Daimler sitting on the quay at Southhampton, he as master had an
    Austin A 30. There were other queries as well of course. The hotel itself may of been ok for those seeking solitude but for two lively kids was boring and we soon moved on. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hey Des mate
    Dont know what wages you got, but with me and this is honest as i have posted before, i was never short of a Quid, we got our Wages plus Sundays at Sea, Overtime as well. Then at each Major Port on the Mail Run a good Envelope from each Family that i served, always was god and i could never say that i got a bad Envelope!
    On the Round Africa was even better and got some real thick Envelopes when getting to KG5 . I used to send nearly half of what got back home as well, and still had plenty to spend! Zoot Suits, Shoes the Works, and Cash for the Ladies! Booze etc. Never had a worry in the world!
    Cheers
    You were lucky Doc. I once did an eight month and paid off with 15 quid.
    Had a lot of happy memories though, and some I couldn't remember the next day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Den.
    Thinking about your post maybe the fact that they mostly have single cabins, and not the sort of home ports that we had;they don't mix all that well, so don't go and get sozzled like we were. They also send most of their money home, whereas we were lucky to payoff with enough for a few days leave.
    Des
    True enough Des.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeez! 8 Months with 18 Quid payoff.
    You must have had a ball along the way Dennis! Wine, Women and Song! Not to mention the rest ! LOL

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve seen seamen pay off in debt and have to re-sign on again , they shouldn’t of had to as today wouldn’t be allowed to get subs on their holiday pay, it it did happen on occasion.
    Being brought up in a tramp company overtime was always kept to a minimum and was always a bone of contention. I can recall at least one seaman for a 6 month trip having 20 hours overtime. Overtime was a life support for most and in some company’s was hard to come by. Today all is different and salary’s are supposed to be consolidated with a basic 12 hours working day for some, whilst good for the overtime keeper , in most cases 12 hours is usually kept to. This loss of sleep somehow disappeared down the cracks many years ago. Don’t think but stand to be corrected Sunday’s at sea no longer exist either. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd February 2021 at 02:39 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1...Denis it is hard for some to imagine unless you have lived with today’s life at sea. As regards jolly jacks exploits ashore is now In the past and to be caught smelling of drink could cost you your job. Whereas most ships were one big happy family covering for each other , today you would be careful of who you spoke to. I even with one set of owners received a letter in confidence to report on anyone who seemed to be intoxitated at any time. I put the letter of confidence up on the ships notice board for all to see. Didnt make me any friends in the office and was still the middle of the pack when it came to redundancies . However I can still sleep at nights. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd February 2021 at 02:50 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast