Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Todays cargo ships.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Todays cargo ships.

Den, how old was that ship at only 80,000, nothing that size now unless it is a ships lifeboat.

AS to going to the malls, where else can they go all the good places are now long gone.

But for many their money was wasted, most went on booze and the ladies.
    the remainder was wasted on food, rent and other such items of little use at that time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Not saying that is bad, just different.
    When we went to sea in the 40's and 50's we had endured the war, post war rationing, austerity on a large scale ashore, going to sea was like a breath of fresh air, Sunday dinner every day, Christmas dinner once a week, food in copious amounts we had never seen ashore. We also sailed with old and young men who had spent the war years at sea and were glad to be alive and never lost that verve of getting to the other side and celebrated that fact, that rubbed off on us newbies. Then ships also docked close to or in town with all its various attractions, though many never got past the first bar. Then you would sail from a dark, drab war torn UK and two weeks later arrive in Havana, sailing past Morro Castle into a bay surrounded by brightly painted dwellings both residential and commercial gleaming in the sun. Go ashore with lovely tanned ladies in abundance dressed in brightly coloured clothes of all descriptions, images you had only seen on cinema posters previously and thought were the figment of some artists imagination. We had it all, we had large crews, some good, some bad, but we had variety, and as far as I'm concerned we had 'tramping' that got us around the world to places not even shown on a school atlas, and showed us how other people lived, tramping was hard at times, but I don't think we had the mental hang-ups that seems to afflict people these days, and we sure as hell didn't worry about a wi-fi signal and run our ship into a reef to try and get one. The war trained us to enjoy every moment as if it was your last, I think that was the prevailing attitude in our time, well that's my theory anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    When we went to sea in the 40's and 50's The war trained us to enjoy every moment as if it was your last, I think that was the prevailing attitude in our time, well that's my theory anyway.

spot on ivan ..ist foriegn port i saw in dec was curacao ......and boats coming out to us with fresh lettuce tomatos and fruit sailing up the main st ...it was like paradise ....and best of all we got paid for it ......happy days indeed and what memories to look back on.....cappy R683532
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd February 2021 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever you came across large congregations of ships such as Suez or Panama all one could see was the red ensign. What a difference today , it is only conspicuous by its total absence. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    When we went to sea in the 40's and 50's The war trained us to enjoy every moment as if it was your last, I think that was the prevailing attitude in our time, well that's my theory anyway.
    hi ivan cloherty
    whilst having a drink with a good mate from school days was discussing time at sea, his description of seeing new york for the first time and nearly falling into the road trying to see to the top of the skyscrapers, was eclipsed by saying ( but the best was seeing the fresh towels and the counterpane with its anchor on his bunk with a wrapped bar of lux soap was luxury )
    tom
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd February 2021 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #1...Denis it is hard for some to imagine unless you have lived with today’s life at sea. As regards jolly jacks exploits ashore is now In the past and to be caught smelling of drink could cost you your job. Whereas most ships were one big happy family covering for each other , today you would be careful of who you spoke to. I even with one set of owners received a letter in confidence to report on anyone who seemed to be intoxitated at any time. I put the letter of confidence up on the ships notice board for all to see. Didnt make me any friends in the office and was still the middle of the pack when it came to redundancies . However I can still sleep at nights. JS.
    hi john sabourn
    ive always made sure in the past of not getting caught as ive always drank it first.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi ivan cloherty
    whilst having a drink with a good mate from school days was discussing time at sea, his description of seeing new york for the first time and nearly falling into the road trying to see to the top of the skyscrapers, was eclipsed by saying ( but the best was seeing the fresh towels and the counterpane with its anchor on his bunk with a wrapped bar of lux soap was luxury )
    tom
    in 1970, went ashore in New York with a rather dopey 1st trip junior eng. who hailed from Yorkshire, his first comment on looking up and around him was "not laak Dewsburry, not laak Dewsbury at aall", he could not really comprehend it and only had experience of Dewsbury.

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Den, how old was that ship at only 80,000, nothing that size now unless it is a ships lifeboat.

AS to going to the malls, where else can they go all the good places are now long gone.

But for many their money was wasted, most went on booze and the ladies.
    the remainder was wasted on food, rent and other such items of little use at that time.
    John get real will you,, there are plenty of modern day ships a lot smaller than 80,000 ton, unless I have misunderstood your humour?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although naught wrong with Replies lads, may i once again ask you ALL to please try and refrain from using the Quote Reply especially those that are long posts, all you have to do as i have pointed out in the past is post something like (Re Post # ?? ) this will save bandwidth and also save me Editing so many Post Replies.
    There are those who seem to use the Quote reply in nearly every Post they put on!
    Please try and not!
    Thanks to one and ALL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Thomas.
    Reading this took me back to my first time in New York, about 1965. A few of us went up the Empire State Building, and when we came out I recall looking up, and I felt that I was losing my balance. After we walked about two blocks away we looked back, and at the top of the radio mast there were three or four men working up there. They looked like ants.

Regards.
    Frank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast