Thread: 11 month articles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile 11 month articles

See Australian government through AMSA are now enforcing repatriation after 11 months on board. Would not have suited me, as in Mollers we did crew change normally in early April so we could get financial tear out of UK and hence not pay any income tax. Company always paid for hotel when joining a ship, but could make you pay for hotel if you stayed oversears for a few days when returning home, though I was never actually charged. We also registered our home address as Hong Kong office so dis A book registered as OUK
    . Saved thousands of dollars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 11 month articles

The Financial year April 5 to April 5 was in force when I was on foreign flag. But believe it was changed for British seafarers sometime in the 70s or 80s , and could get tax exemptions for less time away out of the country. Cant remember the details but many on site should know. As are still at sea and paying it. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th November 2020 at 07:14 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The actual years I don't recall, but by mid 70s we were allowed 30 days in the UK and got 100% discount on tax. By late 70s it was 90 days, and then by very early 80s
    it had gone up to 184 days in the UK. According to my young lad, it's the same today.
    Early on the 'in the UK' was enforced strictly, so e.g. if you called at Houndpoint to load crude for 18 hours, you were considered to be in the UK. Bear in mind, my experience of this was all on non-UK flag ships.

4. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not that many Australian crew on ships now.
    If joining overseas it is fine, but most companies will not take them on in an Australian port.
    If they do they must pay them under Australian rates of pay and other benifits such as superannuation.
    Bit expensive for many companies.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have never really understood the Australian tax system. Is good for the tax accountants as keeps them in Business. In uk was PAYE on British ships and could if necessary was easy to do oneself . When second mate and deputised by the master to do the accounts the tax for a pay off of 40 men was a piece of cake. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tax break for U.K seafarers. Is called overseas earnings allowance and in any 365 days period you are allowed 183 days in the U.K, however this does not necessarily mean that doing a 6 months trip where you never visit the U.K means that you can spend the next 6 months at home.
    For every day spent in the U.K the previous and following day must be spent outside the U.K. holidays abroad can help in counting days out of the U.K. In counting days in its where your ship is at midnight on the day and must be outside port limits.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Have never really understood the Australian tax system. Is good for the tax accountants as keeps them in Business. In uk was PAYE on British ships and could if necessary was easy to do oneself . When second mate and deputised by the master to do the accounts the tax for a pay off of 40 men was a piece of cake. JS
    John mate, welcome to the club.
    At times when I was working I found t one of the hardest to understand, particulary with what you were allowed to claim for.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post