Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: My first trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My first trip

Vernon, I was once told that KWV brandy was every bit as good as the French stuff.
    Won a number of awards I believe, it was a good drop.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My first trip

Brian, thanks for posting that brilliant chapter from your early seafaring life. Your usual excellent style of writing. One thing that stood out was your reference to sorting out that piece of crap 'Mush'. I had a similar run in with the pantry man on my first trip on the Braemar Castle as a pantryboy/galley rat. He was a first class obnoxious fat bastard of a bully weighing about 20stone who would constantly punch and knock us two pantry boys about. One day I couldn't stick it any longer and told him to lay off. He just laughed and asked if I thought I was man enough then take a swing. I only weighed about 9 stone and was a bit like a stick insect but swing at him I did landing a couple of good punches to his face which made him wobble a bit as he wasn't expecting it. My biggest mistake was doing it in the plate house with him between me and the door! He gave me a bit of a beating, but said he admired the fact that I'd had a go. Didn't stop him from being a bully, but he was less violent than before. I also think he was very wary about turning his back on us in the future.
    Jeff'.
    R808042

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4