Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My first trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My first trip

Hi John
    I like you thought Greenbergs was just local to Grimsby & Cleethorpes...Mike from Humberston

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could not think of anything else so I am posting this My First Trip again

.............................. MY FIRST VOYAGE TO SEA AS A DECK BOY. 1952..

I had spent twelve weeks on the Training ship, VINDiCATRIX, in Sharpness, Gloucestershire. I signed on at the Pool in Canning Place in Liverpool and after six weeks of waiting I got the a ship, the Commodore Grant, ex Fort Grant. She was owned by a London Greek company, North East Freighters NEF of Montreal.
    I joined the ship in Brocklebank Dock in Liverpool on 18 July 1952 where she had just finished discharging grain.
    I signed on as Deck Boy on £10 a month for a voyage to India via Antwerp where we were to load bagged fertilizer for Madras.
    I climbed the gangway with my gear and went amidships to find the Mate. The deck was littered with hatch boards, beams, wires and the Dockers wearing flat caps and long greasy overcoats puffing on Woodbines.
    I found the Mate’s cabin on the port side and knocked on the door and walked in. There was the Mate, fastening his wife’s bra, “What the hell do you want”? he shouted as he tried to stand in front of his wife who was looking embarrassed.
    “I am your new Deck Boy” I said, “Well Eff off down aft, I’m busy”.
    So I Effed off down aft and found the mess room on the poop.
    The deck crowd was in there, six ABs and three Ordinary Seamen with the Bosun. The most miserable bunch of bullying bastards I have ever had the misfortune to sail with. For fifty years I have searched every Bar and Whorehouse around the world looking for them to repay them for the misery and beatings that I experienced during that voyage but never saw one of them.
    The accommodation was not good. On the poop was two mess rooms, one for the Sailors and one for the Lascar Firemen and two bathrooms , one each side.
    Down below on the tween deck was three cabins for the Sailors and three for the Firemen. I was in a four berth cabin right next to the steam engine in the Steering Flat.
    My job as Mess Peggy was to clean the Bosun and Chippy`s mess and cabin amidships and the Sailors Mess Room, bathroom, alleyways and cabins down aft. Also I had to carry all the Sailors food from the galley amidships down aft to the Mess Room. Sometimes in heavy weather when a green sea came over the after deck and I was washed into the scuppers losing the kits of food I would get battered off the Sailors and when I went back to the galley another thumping off the big fat ugly Cook from Cardiff.
    I also had pump up the water from the after peak tank below, to a tank on top of the mess room several times a day, The pump was a wooden handle on the bulkhead, I had to push it backwards and forwards for a long time to get the water up to the tank Then the Lascars would be using it for showers and running taps faster than I could pump it up and then the Sailors would batter me again because there was no water left. After all that I would have to work on Deck in the afternoons chipping and painting or greasing wires.
    On Monday, 21 July we battened down the hatches and dropped the derricks, shifted all the dunnage off the decks and made ready for sea at noon.
    We sailed light ship for Antwerp where we were to load 10,000 tons of bagged fertilizer for Madras and we were there for ten days loading.
    I found Antwerp a fascinating place, my first foreign port with all the colourful lights and bars around Schipper Straat, or Skipper Street, A very nice barmaid took a fancy to me and I was on free ale for my services.
    When we had completed loading we battened down, dropped the derricks hosed down the decks and sailed at 2200 stowing ropes as we sailed down the River Scheldt.
    I was on nine pennies an hour for overtime.
    After a five day run at ten knots we passed Gibraltar and entered the Med and then an eight day run in beautiful weather to Port Said for the Suez Canal.
    As we were mooring to the buoys in Port Said, I happened to swear at one of the ABs, Clarence. He battered me up and down the after deck accentuating with each smash of a big iron fist that I should not call him a bastard. I took a hint as in a situation like that I was a quick learner.
    We loaded bunkers, fuel oil, and fresh water, then loaded two Canal boats on deck. We hoisted up the Canal Searchlight over the bow and made it fast.
    George Roby, the famous Bum Boat man came on deck and spread his wares on the hatch. I bought a music box for mother off him.
    .Just after midnight we let go and joined the Southbound Convoy sailing through the Suez Canal.
    After an interesting passage we past Port Tewfik and dropped off the
    Two Canal Boats and the Searchlight into the water and sailed into the Red Sea.
    The heat in the Red Sea was terrific and the Sailors and Lascars were using more and more water for showers and I was spending more and more time pumping up water for them, As soon as I had finished pumping up the water the Lascars would run it off and the Sailors would scream abuse at me in between thumps shouting `Get pumping you lazy bastard`
    Five days later we were mooring up to the buoys in Aden to load bunkers again. We were soon surrounded by bum boats and a few cartons of ciggies were swopped for tea sets and music boxes.
    Eight hours later we let go and the sailed round Steamer Point and towards the Indian Ocean.
    We were in the South West Monsoon then with heavy seas sweeping over our decks. I lost a few meals trying to carry them from the galley amidships to the Mess room down aft. So I was hammered again by the deck crowd and the fat ugly Cook from Cardiff.
    I got my own back on the Cook, he had a trumpet that he played very badly every day, the noise was diabolical. One day he turned in during the afternoon and left his Trumpet in the Galley. He had left his Trumpet in the Galley so I poured a load of chip fat into it and turned it round a few times and then when the lard set later it seized up all the valves.
    When he went to play it that evening he was going demented, he was going to take a cleaver and kill the bastard who had done that.
    Fortunately he never found out and the ship was a little quieter after that.
    Eight days after leaving Aden astern we arrived in Colombo, Ceylon and moored up to buoys in the harbour to load bunkers.
    Astern of us on the same buoy was the Cape Wrath, another old tramp that looked in a worse condition than we did.
    The Sailors on the Cape Wrath shouted across to us that they had no cigarettes but had some cans of beer to do a swop with us.
    Our Sailors got a wooden box made a lashing on it and put a few cartons of ciggies in and told me to swim over to the Cape Wrath.
    The distance from our gangway to their gangway was a few hundred yards, I told them I couldn’t swim that far.
    After being thumped a few times I decided that I was a fantastic swimmer and was over the side in no time at all.
    It was a long hard swim across to the other ship dragging the wooden box, the water was quite choppy with the movement of ships and tugs in the harbour. The Sailors were jeering and cheering all the way.
    When I got on board the Cape Wrath the Sailors were gasping for a ciggie, they had run out a week before. I had a beer with them, they told me they had been out for eighteen months and didn’t know when they were going to get home.
    After hearing our Sailors screaming abuse across the water I put 18 cans of beer into the box and went back down the gangway and into the water again. It was a long hard swim to get back to the Commodore Grant. I was totally worn out when I got back on board.
    I never got any beer, the Sailors drank the lot without offering me any. I must have been mad to have done it. When the Galley Boy dumped the garbage over the wall a big shark zoomed in alongside to eat it.
    We let go later that evening, sailed around Dondra Head and headed north into the Bay of Bengal. Two days later we tied up alongside the wharf in Madras, we were to be there for around ten days to discharge the bags of fertilizer.
    Madras was hot stinking, sweaty and noisy. What a contrast to being at sea with the cool refreshing breeze and only the sound of the sea.
    As soon as we were alongside the deck was swarming with hundreds of Indians shouting, screaming and stripping the hatches of tarps and throwing hatch boards and beams on deck and the clatter of the steam winches as they started discharging.
    The deck was soon filthy with the spilt fertilizer and red betel juice spit all over. The Indians had no toilets and would just squat in the scuppers and crap filling the ship with their stink and millions of flies.
    We had to keep the ports and doors locked or they would have stolen everything and made a stinking mess on the bathroom deck.
    Every day the beggars would come down to the ship begging for food scraps, the saddest ones were the little kids who were like skeletons pleading with squeaky voices, `No Mamma , No Poppa, dash me baksheesh.` I would give them any gash food left over by the Sailors if they left any.
    Dhobi Walla’s would come down and ask if they could do our dhobi. Washing clothes.
    The Sailors decided to hire one and made me in charge of him, I had to watch him all the time to make sure he didn’t steal anything.
    He eventually did, stealing all the Sailors dungarees, shirts and our towels. We had to provide our towels in those days.
    This resulted in me being beaten up again by all the Sailors.
    On the first Saturday in Madras I heard there was a dance at the Anglo Indian Club in town. By the time I had scrubbed out both mess rooms and pumped up the water tank, showered and changed all hands were ashore and I went ashore on my own.
    I didn’t know where this club was so I got a Rickshaw to take me. The rickshaw boy towed me around the City for a couple of hours and ended up at the gangway again saying he didn’t know where the club was. He was demanding 15 rupees, I only had a sub of 25 rupees and so I told him to get stuffed and gave him five and went to climb the gangway. He started to scream and grabbed my shirt and in an instant I was surrounded by a big crowd of screaming Indians.
    I got a bit scared then so I gave him another ten and ran up the gangway. I thought what a lousy night out, first night ashore for over one month and it cost more than five days wages just to have a ride in a rickshaw.
    On Sunday afternoon the galley boy, a lad called Keating from Wallasey, and I went to the beach a few hundred yards from the docks. It was a beautiful beach, completely deserted and stretch for miles with clean white sand and lined with palm trees, we spent a couple of happy hours swimming in the surf.
    The following Saturday night there was another dance at the Anglo-Indian Club so this time I walked into the city and found it, no more rickshaws.
    In the Club I saw an attractive young lady, I danced with her, she was the same age as I was 17, and she told me her name was Elizabeth.
    After the dance she took me over to the table where her mother was sitting and introduced me to her. Her mother, Mrs Thompson, was an Anglo-Indian and before she was widowed was married to a Liverpool man and they had lived there for many years before returning to Madras, where Mr Thompson had died. As I lived near to Liverpool they were quite interested and we got on quite well with each other.
    At the end of a pleasant evening, dancing and talking, they invited me to dinner their home on Sunday evening.
    They lived 30 minutes ride on a train south of Madras, so I finished work early and arrived at their house around 7pm.
    They had a beautiful home built in Colonial style and surrounded by lush tropical gardens.
    We had a fantastic dinner, waited on by Servants, it like something out of a movie for a young lad out of Bolton on his first trip.
    Elizabeth introduced me to her brother, George, who was around 20 years old, he had been born in Liverpool and was easy to get along with.
    All to soon the pleasant evening ended and I had to get the train back to Madras. Elizabeth and I wrote to each other for a while then it faded away and I never went back to Madras.
    .................................. ********************************************
    42 years later, in June 1994, my elder brother, Jim, and I went to London to see the Liberty ship, JEREMIAH O`BRIEN that had sailed from San Francisco to London for the 50th Anniversary of D. Day. We had both sailed on Liberty ships and so it brought us a few memories.
    We stayed at the Merchant Navy Hotel in Lancaster Gate.
    In the evening we went into the hotel bar which was empty except for one very attractive young barmaid. We got chatting to her and found that she was a Student from Liverpool who worked in the Hotel in her spare time.
    I could see that she was part Indian and mentioned this to her. An incredible story unfolded. She told me her father was an Anglo-Indian who had lived in Madras for many years before returning to Liverpool where he got married.
    I had a strange feeling, and said, “Is your name Thompson?”
    She gasped in amazement. I told her that I knew a family by the name of Thompson who lived outside Madras and there was a pretty young girl called Elizabeth, way back in 1952.
    I described the house and location and her brother George.
    The barmaid confirmed that was right, George was indeed her father and incredibly Elizabeth still lived in the house, she had never married. I wondered if she was still waiting for me.
    The barmaid had been to the house many times on holiday to stay with her aunt Elizabeth.
    My brother, Jim, could not believe it, an incredible story, of all the Gin Joints in all the world we had to choose this one.
    We went into the bar on the next two nights but she was not there, another barmaid had taken over. It was amazing to have found her that night.
    ...............................******************* **********************************
    Meanwhile back in 1952 in Madras, we completed discharging, battened down the hatches and dropped the derricks, hosed down the decks to clear the filth away.
    Then a little Indian fellow turned up, he was a tattooist, and said he would tattoo all hands if we would stow him away and take him to Vizagapatam a couple of hundred miles up the coast. After he had tattooed us all we stowed him down the dunnage hatch with a load of burlap bags to sleep on. I had to feed him now and again.
    Two days later we docked in Vizagapatam where he disappeared into the jungle of a million shanties.
    Vizagapatam was just a stinking port, the town just consisted of filthy hovels and shanties and what seemed to be millions of Indians screaming “Baksheesh, Baksheesh.”
    I only walked ashore once and that was enough. No one went ashore there.
    We were her for seven days to load Manganese Ore for Birkenhead, great we were homeward bound.
    We completed loading and battened down again ready for sailing, dropped and secured the derricks and then hosed down the to get rid of the ore dust then let go and sailed south down the Bay of Bengal.
    Four days later we moored to the buoys again in Colombo Harbour for bunkers. I bought 12 pounds of Broken Orange Peko Tea for mother back home. Tea was still rationed in those days.
    Eight hours later we let go and sailed into the Indian Ocean bound for Aden eight days away.
    On the voyage across the Sailors were getting a bit bored so for entertainment they would beat me up on Number five hatch every evening, they all thought it was funny, I was only a skinny kid and had no chance against the big ABs.
    Some nights I was so fed up with it all I would climb over the rails lean out, count up to ten and when I got to ten I would let go and end it all.
    It looked very tempting, looking into the dark water which was lit up with swirling patterns of phosphorous. In the end I would climb back inboard. Those bastards were driving me to suicide, but I put a stop to it when we were berthing in Aden.
    As we were approaching the buoys in Aden one morning a big fat AB called Mush, started to knock me about the after deck.
    By this time I had had enough, I had nothing to lose now and so went berserk. I smashed him several times in the face with my fists, bursting his nose and lips. I got him by the rails and heaved him over, I don’t know where I got the strength from.
    He was clinging to the bottom rail on the outboard side hanging over the propeller, screaming for help while I was stamping on his fingers to make him let go, then I got the chain stopper and started to lash him with it, I just wanted to kill the bastard.
    The Second Mate and one of the other ABs dragged me away from the rails and pulled Mush back inboard. He had to go below to his bunk to recover. He was a quiet man for the rest of the voyage after that and all the Sailors treated me with a bit of respect. I should have done that earlier in the voyage, I felt ten feet tall.
    Any whinging off the Sailors after that I would just snarl at them. Some of them even helped me to pump up the water and occasionally washed the dishes in the mess after the evening meal.
    I was never beaten again in all my years of seafaring.
    After leaving Aden we steamed up the Red Sea to arrive in Suez Bay and then anchored to await our turn in the next convoy.
    The sight there is something we will never see again, the bay was full of dozens of British ships, Union Castle, P&O, Orient, Blue Star, Blue Funnel, Federal, Clan, Shaw Savills, Port line, troop ships and so on.
    Later in the morning it was our turn and we heaved up the anchor and followed the convoy into the Canal. A couple of hours later we anchored in the Great Bitter Lake and the convoy anchored again while the South bound convoy slowly steamed past. We were there for a few hours and so we had time to leap over the wall to swim in the warm turquoise waters of the lake. It was very refreshing as the heat was terrific. Once the South bound convoy was clear we heaved away and sailed on towards Port Said.
    Next morning as we steamed between the lines of ships at Port Said, we lowered the two Canal boats into the water and dropped off the searchlight, the Agents boat came out with mail and papers.
    We sailed past the statue of Ferdinand de Lesseps and out of the breakwater dropping off the Canal Pilot and into the Mediterranean.
    We didn’t load any fresh water there so water was rationed. The Mate had a padlock on the pump and water was only allowed to be pumped for one hour in the morning and one in the evening, that suited me fine, save quite a bit of work.
    The voyage to Birkenhead took 14 days along the Mediterranean and up the Atlantic coast. We picked up the Pilot at Point Lynus off Anglesey and on a cold grey Friday morning at the end of October and docked at the East Float in Birkenhead docks.
    What a contrast Merseyside was with its forty shades of grey compared with the bright colours of the tropics, still it was good to be back.
    The following day Saturday the Liverpool fellows and I went home for the weekend except the two Southampton ABs, when I got back on Monday morning the two of them had used every plate and piece of cutlery in the mess, they had not washed their own dishes, saving it all for me when I came back. Mush started to shout abuse again for not staying on board to look after them but when I threatened to throw him over the wall again he shut up.
    We stayed in Birkenhead for ten days discharging the Manganese ore then we were to take her to Glasgow dry dock. I thought the breakers would have been more suitable.
    On a cold wet windy day we sailed light ship, We cleared the Mersey Bar dropped the Pilot off and headed north into a screaming northerly gale which turned into a hurricane force 12. The ship being light was bouncing and rolling her guts out, after two days and nights we were off the North Wales coast making no headway. Eventually the gale eased and we crept up the coast to Glasgow four days out from Birkenhead. We entered the dry dock at 6 am and were paid of by 11am.
    I paid off with £8 and a train ticket home, not bad for four months hard labour. I packed my bags and went down the gangway for the last time and into the taxi for Glasgow Station, I looked at the Commodore Grant for the last time as we moved away, lying in the dry dock, rusty and battered looking, I never saw her again, thank God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I could not think of anything else so I am posting this My First Trip again

.............................. MY FIRST VOYAGE TO SEA AS A DECK BOY. 1952..

I had spent twelve weeks on the Training ship, VINDiCATRIX, in Sharpness, Gloucestershire. I signed on at the Pool in Canning Place in Liverpool and after six weeks of waiting I got the a ship, the Commodore Grant, ex Fort Grant. She was owned by a London Greek company, North East Freighters NEF of Montreal.
    I joined the ship in Brocklebank Dock in Liverpool on 18 July 1952 where she had just finished discharging grain.
    I signed on as Deck Boy on £10 a month for a voyage to India via Antwerp where we were to load bagged fertilizer for Madras.
    I climbed the gangway with my gear and went amidships to find the Mate. The deck was littered with hatch boards, beams, wires and the Dockers wearing flat caps and long greasy overcoats puffing on Woodbines.
    I found the Mate’s cabin on the port side and knocked on the door and walked in. There was the Mate, fastening his wife’s bra, “What the hell do you want”? he shouted as he tried to stand in front of his wife who was looking embarrassed.
    “I am your new Deck Boy” I said, “Well Eff off down aft, I’m busy”.
    So I Effed off down aft and found the mess room on the poop.
    The deck crowd was in there, six ABs and three Ordinary Seamen with the Bosun. The most miserable bunch of bullying bastards I have ever had the misfortune to sail with. For fifty years I have searched every Bar and Whorehouse around the world looking for them to repay them for the misery and beatings that I experienced during that voyage but never saw one of them.
    The accommodation was not good. On the poop was two mess rooms, one for the Sailors and one for the Lascar Firemen and two bathrooms , one each side.
    Down below on the tween deck was three cabins for the Sailors and three for the Firemen. I was in a four berth cabin right next to the steam engine in the Steering Flat.
    My job as Mess Peggy was to clean the Bosun and Chippy`s mess and cabin amidships and the Sailors Mess Room, bathroom, alleyways and cabins down aft. Also I had to carry all the Sailors food from the galley amidships down aft to the Mess Room. Sometimes in heavy weather when a green sea came over the after deck and I was washed into the scuppers losing the kits of food I would get battered off the Sailors and when I went back to the galley another thumping off the big fat ugly Cook from Cardiff.
    I also had pump up the water from the after peak tank below, to a tank on top of the mess room several times a day, The pump was a wooden handle on the bulkhead, I had to push it backwards and forwards for a long time to get the water up to the tank Then the Lascars would be using it for showers and running taps faster than I could pump it up and then the Sailors would batter me again because there was no water left. After all that I would have to work on Deck in the afternoons chipping and painting or greasing wires.
    On Monday, 21 July we battened down the hatches and dropped the derricks, shifted all the dunnage off the decks and made ready for sea at noon.
    We sailed light ship for Antwerp where we were to load 10,000 tons of bagged fertilizer for Madras and we were there for ten days loading.
    I found Antwerp a fascinating place, my first foreign port with all the colourful lights and bars around Schipper Straat, or Skipper Street, A very nice barmaid took a fancy to me and I was on free ale for my services.
    When we had completed loading we battened down, dropped the derricks hosed down the decks and sailed at 2200 stowing ropes as we sailed down the River Scheldt.
    I was on nine pennies an hour for overtime.
    After a five day run at ten knots we passed Gibraltar and entered the Med and then an eight day run in beautiful weather to Port Said for the Suez Canal.
    As we were mooring to the buoys in Port Said, I happened to swear at one of the ABs, Clarence. He battered me up and down the after deck accentuating with each smash of a big iron fist that I should not call him a bastard. I took a hint as in a situation like that I was a quick learner.
    We loaded bunkers, fuel oil, and fresh water, then loaded two Canal boats on deck. We hoisted up the Canal Searchlight over the bow and made it fast.
    George Roby, the famous Bum Boat man came on deck and spread his wares on the hatch. I bought a music box for mother off him.
    .Just after midnight we let go and joined the Southbound Convoy sailing through the Suez Canal.
    After an interesting passage we past Port Tewfik and dropped off the
    Two Canal Boats and the Searchlight into the water and sailed into the Red Sea.
    The heat in the Red Sea was terrific and the Sailors and Lascars were using more and more water for showers and I was spending more and more time pumping up water for them, As soon as I had finished pumping up the water the Lascars would run it off and the Sailors would scream abuse at me in between thumps shouting `Get pumping you lazy bastard`
    Five days later we were mooring up to the buoys in Aden to load bunkers again. We were soon surrounded by bum boats and a few cartons of ciggies were swopped for tea sets and music boxes.
    Eight hours later we let go and the sailed round Steamer Point and towards the Indian Ocean.
    We were in the South West Monsoon then with heavy seas sweeping over our decks. I lost a few meals trying to carry them from the galley amidships to the Mess room down aft. So I was hammered again by the deck crowd and the fat ugly Cook from Cardiff.
    I got my own back on the Cook, he had a trumpet that he played very badly every day, the noise was diabolical. One day he turned in during the afternoon and left his Trumpet in the Galley. He had left his Trumpet in the Galley so I poured a load of chip fat into it and turned it round a few times and then when the lard set later it seized up all the valves.
    When he went to play it that evening he was going demented, he was going to take a cleaver and kill the bastard who had done that.
    Fortunately he never found out and the ship was a little quieter after that.
    Eight days after leaving Aden astern we arrived in Colombo, Ceylon and moored up to buoys in the harbour to load bunkers.
    Astern of us on the same buoy was the Cape Wrath, another old tramp that looked in a worse condition than we did.
    The Sailors on the Cape Wrath shouted across to us that they had no cigarettes but had some cans of beer to do a swop with us.
    Our Sailors got a wooden box made a lashing on it and put a few cartons of ciggies in and told me to swim over to the Cape Wrath.
    The distance from our gangway to their gangway was a few hundred yards, I told them I couldn’t swim that far.
    After being thumped a few times I decided that I was a fantastic swimmer and was over the side in no time at all.
    It was a long hard swim across to the other ship dragging the wooden box, the water was quite choppy with the movement of ships and tugs in the harbour. The Sailors were jeering and cheering all the way.
    When I got on board the Cape Wrath the Sailors were gasping for a ciggie, they had run out a week before. I had a beer with them, they told me they had been out for eighteen months and didn’t know when they were going to get home.
    After hearing our Sailors screaming abuse across the water I put 18 cans of beer into the box and went back down the gangway and into the water again. It was a long hard swim to get back to the Commodore Grant. I was totally worn out when I got back on board.
    I never got any beer, the Sailors drank the lot without offering me any. I must have been mad to have done it. When the Galley Boy dumped the garbage over the wall a big shark zoomed in alongside to eat it.
    We let go later that evening, sailed around Dondra Head and headed north into the Bay of Bengal. Two days later we tied up alongside the wharf in Madras, we were to be there for around ten days to discharge the bags of fertilizer.
    Madras was hot stinking, sweaty and noisy. What a contrast to being at sea with the cool refreshing breeze and only the sound of the sea.
    As soon as we were alongside the deck was swarming with hundreds of Indians shouting, screaming and stripping the hatches of tarps and throwing hatch boards and beams on deck and the clatter of the steam winches as they started discharging.
    The deck was soon filthy with the spilt fertilizer and red betel juice spit all over. The Indians had no toilets and would just squat in the scuppers and crap filling the ship with their stink and millions of flies.
    We had to keep the ports and doors locked or they would have stolen everything and made a stinking mess on the bathroom deck.
    Every day the beggars would come down to the ship begging for food scraps, the saddest ones were the little kids who were like skeletons pleading with squeaky voices, `No Mamma , No Poppa, dash me baksheesh.` I would give them any gash food left over by the Sailors if they left any.
    Dhobi Walla’s would come down and ask if they could do our dhobi. Washing clothes.
    The Sailors decided to hire one and made me in charge of him, I had to watch him all the time to make sure he didn’t steal anything.
    He eventually did, stealing all the Sailors dungarees, shirts and our towels. We had to provide our towels in those days.
    This resulted in me being beaten up again by all the Sailors.
    On the first Saturday in Madras I heard there was a dance at the Anglo Indian Club in town. By the time I had scrubbed out both mess rooms and pumped up the water tank, showered and changed all hands were ashore and I went ashore on my own.
    I didn’t know where this club was so I got a Rickshaw to take me. The rickshaw boy towed me around the City for a couple of hours and ended up at the gangway again saying he didn’t know where the club was. He was demanding 15 rupees, I only had a sub of 25 rupees and so I told him to get stuffed and gave him five and went to climb the gangway. He started to scream and grabbed my shirt and in an instant I was surrounded by a big crowd of screaming Indians.
    I got a bit scared then so I gave him another ten and ran up the gangway. I thought what a lousy night out, first night ashore for over one month and it cost more than five days wages just to have a ride in a rickshaw.
    On Sunday afternoon the galley boy, a lad called Keating from Wallasey, and I went to the beach a few hundred yards from the docks. It was a beautiful beach, completely deserted and stretch for miles with clean white sand and lined with palm trees, we spent a couple of happy hours swimming in the surf.
    The following Saturday night there was another dance at the Anglo-Indian Club so this time I walked into the city and found it, no more rickshaws.
    In the Club I saw an attractive young lady, I danced with her, she was the same age as I was 17, and she told me her name was Elizabeth.
    After the dance she took me over to the table where her mother was sitting and introduced me to her. Her mother, Mrs Thompson, was an Anglo-Indian and before she was widowed was married to a Liverpool man and they had lived there for many years before returning to Madras, where Mr Thompson had died. As I lived near to Liverpool they were quite interested and we got on quite well with each other.
    At the end of a pleasant evening, dancing and talking, they invited me to dinner their home on Sunday evening.
    They lived 30 minutes ride on a train south of Madras, so I finished work early and arrived at their house around 7pm.
    They had a beautiful home built in Colonial style and surrounded by lush tropical gardens.
    We had a fantastic dinner, waited on by Servants, it like something out of a movie for a young lad out of Bolton on his first trip.
    Elizabeth introduced me to her brother, George, who was around 20 years old, he had been born in Liverpool and was easy to get along with.
    All to soon the pleasant evening ended and I had to get the train back to Madras. Elizabeth and I wrote to each other for a while then it faded away and I never went back to Madras.
    .................................. ********************************************
    42 years later, in June 1994, my elder brother, Jim, and I went to London to see the Liberty ship, JEREMIAH O`BRIEN that had sailed from San Francisco to London for the 50th Anniversary of D. Day. We had both sailed on Liberty ships and so it brought us a few memories.
    We stayed at the Merchant Navy Hotel in Lancaster Gate.
    In the evening we went into the hotel bar which was empty except for one very attractive young barmaid. We got chatting to her and found that she was a Student from Liverpool who worked in the Hotel in her spare time.
    I could see that she was part Indian and mentioned this to her. An incredible story unfolded. She told me her father was an Anglo-Indian who had lived in Madras for many years before returning to Liverpool where he got married.
    I had a strange feeling, and said, “Is your name Thompson?”
    She gasped in amazement. I told her that I knew a family by the name of Thompson who lived outside Madras and there was a pretty young girl called Elizabeth, way back in 1952.
    I described the house and location and her brother George.
    The barmaid confirmed that was right, George was indeed her father and incredibly Elizabeth still lived in the house, she had never married. I wondered if she was still waiting for me.
    The barmaid had been to the house many times on holiday to stay with her aunt Elizabeth.
    My brother, Jim, could not believe it, an incredible story, of all the Gin Joints in all the world we had to choose this one.
    We went into the bar on the next two nights but she was not there, another barmaid had taken over. It was amazing to have found her that night.
    ...............................******************* **********************************
    Meanwhile back in 1952 in Madras, we completed discharging, battened down the hatches and dropped the derricks, hosed down the decks to clear the filth away.
    Then a little Indian fellow turned up, he was a tattooist, and said he would tattoo all hands if we would stow him away and take him to Vizagapatam a couple of hundred miles up the coast. After he had tattooed us all we stowed him down the dunnage hatch with a load of burlap bags to sleep on. I had to feed him now and again.
    Two days later we docked in Vizagapatam where he disappeared into the jungle of a million shanties.
    Vizagapatam was just a stinking port, the town just consisted of filthy hovels and shanties and what seemed to be millions of Indians screaming “Baksheesh, Baksheesh.”
    I only walked ashore once and that was enough. No one went ashore there.
    We were her for seven days to load Manganese Ore for Birkenhead, great we were homeward bound.
    We completed loading and battened down again ready for sailing, dropped and secured the derricks and then hosed down the to get rid of the ore dust then let go and sailed south down the Bay of Bengal.
    Four days later we moored to the buoys again in Colombo Harbour for bunkers. I bought 12 pounds of Broken Orange Peko Tea for mother back home. Tea was still rationed in those days.
    Eight hours later we let go and sailed into the Indian Ocean bound for Aden eight days away.
    On the voyage across the Sailors were getting a bit bored so for entertainment they would beat me up on Number five hatch every evening, they all thought it was funny, I was only a skinny kid and had no chance against the big ABs.
    Some nights I was so fed up with it all I would climb over the rails lean out, count up to ten and when I got to ten I would let go and end it all.
    It looked very tempting, looking into the dark water which was lit up with swirling patterns of phosphorous. In the end I would climb back inboard. Those bastards were driving me to suicide, but I put a stop to it when we were berthing in Aden.
    As we were approaching the buoys in Aden one morning a big fat AB called Mush, started to knock me about the after deck.
    By this time I had had enough, I had nothing to lose now and so went berserk. I smashed him several times in the face with my fists, bursting his nose and lips. I got him by the rails and heaved him over, I don’t know where I got the strength from.
    He was clinging to the bottom rail on the outboard side hanging over the propeller, screaming for help while I was stamping on his fingers to make him let go, then I got the chain stopper and started to lash him with it, I just wanted to kill the bastard.
    The Second Mate and one of the other ABs dragged me away from the rails and pulled Mush back inboard. He had to go below to his bunk to recover. He was a quiet man for the rest of the voyage after that and all the Sailors treated me with a bit of respect. I should have done that earlier in the voyage, I felt ten feet tall.
    Any whinging off the Sailors after that I would just snarl at them. Some of them even helped me to pump up the water and occasionally washed the dishes in the mess after the evening meal.
    I was never beaten again in all my years of seafaring.
    After leaving Aden we steamed up the Red Sea to arrive in Suez Bay and then anchored to await our turn in the next convoy.
    The sight there is something we will never see again, the bay was full of dozens of British ships, Union Castle, P&O, Orient, Blue Star, Blue Funnel, Federal, Clan, Shaw Savills, Port line, troop ships and so on.
    Later in the morning it was our turn and we heaved up the anchor and followed the convoy into the Canal. A couple of hours later we anchored in the Great Bitter Lake and the convoy anchored again while the South bound convoy slowly steamed past. We were there for a few hours and so we had time to leap over the wall to swim in the warm turquoise waters of the lake. It was very refreshing as the heat was terrific. Once the South bound convoy was clear we heaved away and sailed on towards Port Said.
    Next morning as we steamed between the lines of ships at Port Said, we lowered the two Canal boats into the water and dropped off the searchlight, the Agents boat came out with mail and papers.
    We sailed past the statue of Ferdinand de Lesseps and out of the breakwater dropping off the Canal Pilot and into the Mediterranean.
    We didn’t load any fresh water there so water was rationed. The Mate had a padlock on the pump and water was only allowed to be pumped for one hour in the morning and one in the evening, that suited me fine, save quite a bit of work.
    The voyage to Birkenhead took 14 days along the Mediterranean and up the Atlantic coast. We picked up the Pilot at Point Lynus off Anglesey and on a cold grey Friday morning at the end of October and docked at the East Float in Birkenhead docks.
    What a contrast Merseyside was with its forty shades of grey compared with the bright colours of the tropics, still it was good to be back.
    The following day Saturday the Liverpool fellows and I went home for the weekend except the two Southampton ABs, when I got back on Monday morning the two of them had used every plate and piece of cutlery in the mess, they had not washed their own dishes, saving it all for me when I came back. Mush started to shout abuse again for not staying on board to look after them but when I threatened to throw him over the wall again he shut up.
    We stayed in Birkenhead for ten days discharging the Manganese ore then we were to take her to Glasgow dry dock. I thought the breakers would have been more suitable.
    On a cold wet windy day we sailed light ship, We cleared the Mersey Bar dropped the Pilot off and headed north into a screaming northerly gale which turned into a hurricane force 12. The ship being light was bouncing and rolling her guts out, after two days and nights we were off the North Wales coast making no headway. Eventually the gale eased and we crept up the coast to Glasgow four days out from Birkenhead. We entered the dry dock at 6 am and were paid of by 11am.
    I paid off with £8 and a train ticket home, not bad for four months hard labour. I packed my bags and went down the gangway for the last time and into the taxi for Glasgow Station, I looked at the Commodore Grant for the last time as we moved away, lying in the dry dock, rusty and battered looking, I never saw her again, thank God.
    hi capt
    still a good read second time round for me.
    tom

5. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fouro,
    Well I did an Engineer Cadetship with Australian National Line where you came out with everything in your Part A & B 2nds and Chiefs except for Engineering Knowledge. Then all you had to do was 15mths "deep" sea time to sit for 2nds and then 15 mths for Chiefs. You would think the World was your Oyster. Also apparently I was in line for Cadet of the Year finishing in 1976. So what did I do.....left ANL and joined Bank line as 6/E. On paper I was the next most qualified after the Chief. 2/E was dispensation.

But they were "Engineers". Best thing I ever did. Had 7 wonderful years tramping and doing double headers. Had a great time....work hard and played hard and got my Chiefs. In that time did the Orient Africa, Bugis St to Sunshine Bar in Mombasa........West coast of South America and through Magellan Straits 3 times. Sweden to China, then NZ. The Jungle in North Shields and the one in Port Klang and even MoD charter to the Falklands War. Every trip was a lottery....

So unmanned E/Rs with ANL to two handed watches with Bank Line and then back to unmanned.

Happy Days!!!
    Last edited by Rod Nissen; 29th October 2020 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Nissen View Post
    Hi Fouro,
    Well I did an Engineer Cadetship with Australian National Line where you came out with everything in your Part A & B 2nds and Chiefs except for Engineering Knowledge. Then all you had to do was 15mths "deep" sea time to sit for 2nds and then 15 mths for Chiefs. You would think the World was your Oyster. Also apparently I was in line for Cadet of the Year finishing in 1976. So what did I do.....left ANL and joined Bank line as 6/E. On paper I was the next most qualified after the Chief. 2/E was dispensation.

But they were "Engineers". Best thing I ever did. Had 7 wonderful years tramping and doing double headers. Had a great time....work hard and played hard and got my Chiefs. In that time did the Orient Africa, Bugis St to Sunshine Bar in Mombasa........West coast of South America and through Magellan Straits 3 times. Sweden to China, then NZ. The Jungle in North Shields and the one in Port Klang and even MoD charter to the Falklands War. Every trip was a lottery....

So unmanned E/Rs with ANL to two handed watches with Bank Line and then back to unmanned.

Happy Days!!!
    sounds like the real world to me Rod

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To go to sea and have a first trip you had to have a well thought out reason for going. Mine was money, a girl and then nothing else to do. Madly in love with girl. Apprentice wages not enough. Ad in papers for 5/E/O with B.I. for extra £5/month. Idea - go to sea for year, nothing to spend money on so save money, come back, get married. Job done. At end of apprenticeship so applied and got job starting in November. Had lovely summer holiday with girl. Came home with her. Her family moved to Ongar. Two months, no word. Drove across to Ongar, found she had met somebody else. What to do? Sod it, with nothing else to do went to sea. First ship M.S. Chilka. Joined in Tilbury. The only thing left in the crankcase was the crankshaft. Something to do with sabotage and African crew? Thought this was normal practice. Get in port and strip engine. We left Tilbury about 2000 I think. Was on 12-4 watch with 3/E/O, Mr Robert Dick (Moby). When I went down, ship was just starting to "move". I felt sort of OK, but not looking 100%. Moby gave me a menu card and told me to trace out the main engine cooling system. I never looked back. The ship was on "homeline" going to ports Bay of Bengal and then back to UK. 7 monthsish. Err no. We were seconded to Eastern Service And ended up doing an Aussie coastal, through Indonesia Singapore, Penang, back to Bay of Bengal and then back to UK. Err no. I was relieved in Colombo to join Chakdina in Trincomalee. Then down to an NZ coastal and back to UK. So my 7 months started on 17/11/69 in Tilbury and ended on 8/1/71 in Dundee. But what a trip. After that, did I want to carry on? Bloody right. and on an Eastern service contract. 11 of the best years of my life where I managed to circumnavigate, going through both canals and have a "home" run between the Persian Gulf and Japan for 4 years and marrying a beautiful Japanese princess. I feel really sorry for the lads at sea now. I was in the Mish in Kobe a few year ago and they said how things had changed from the 70's, with everything container, no time in port and too far to travel to get there.
    Have fun,
    Geoff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the end of the 70's shipping companies were short of staff so when I applied to 3 different companies for a deck cadetship (Cunard, RFA,BP) i had 3 interviews and was offered a cadetship by each (the industry was a lot different at the end of my training!). I chose Cunard for its range of different ship types (helped by them acquiring 10 reefer ships fron Island Fruit just before my interview).
    During a 2 week induction course at School of Maritime Studies in Plymouth (just so we knew the difference between the bow and the stern and port and stbd!) I had the details of my first ship the Lumiere, a products tanker which at the time was on the South African coast. A week later I flew to Cape Town with a 5/E - the first time I had flown. The ship was delayed so we had a few nights in a hotel and time to kill . A trip up Table Mountain was a must. We eventually joined the ship and began a 5 month trip loading in Cape Town and Durban and taking the cargo anywhere between Walvis Bay on the west coast and Beira in Mozambique on the east coast. I loved every minute of it ,even the tank cleaning with the butterworth machines after heating oil cargoes! It was helped by having a great Capt. - Jack Fillingham who delighted in giving me an electricity bill after my first month on board! Everyone was in on it right up until the disciplinary hearing after I didnt pay .
    He also had an ' education budget ' which meant free trips for us cadets (4 of us) and the couple of wives to vineyards and Cango Caves in the Western Cape. We even had Xmas and New Year alongside in Cape Town though did have to sail on New Years Day.
    I learnt to get the best curries from the Indian Crew from the galley door on the after deck. The pursor was an excellent feeder anyway- a scouser called Peter.
    All in all a great introduction with everyone mucking in and everyone socialising together.
    I said I joined Cunard for the variety, well the next ship was a major culture shock after a tanker, the Port Chalmers for a couple of fruit runs, back to S.Africa!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice little Story Julian
    Always good to read of others experiences.
    Glad you enjoyed the South African Shore capers, and yes there is lots to see there especially in Cape Town, which i still call my Home Town. Kango Caves are Wonderful as are those lovely Wine Vineyards in the Cape Areas, have been to many there as well .
    Of course as you say that Table Mountain is just something else!
    Been to those East Coast Ports you mention ,as well as many others along the East Coast, plus a few on the West as well.
    Walvis Bay a good Fishing port , with many small craft around.
    Of course Durban too where we lived after i got Married, was a great place and spent many Years of Happiness there, but must say in the Summers and a lot of the other Months of the Year, it is one Hot place, and the Humidity really gets to you, but that was ok when we were young and fit!
    Thanks for the post
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Thanks Julian Norman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Geoff #27 did you ever find out what happened to the girl??

Cape Town Christmas an New Year, a pure bloody nightmare for me and a few others.
    Between the Navigators Den, Cape Brandy and the local ladies we were dragged into more trouble than Flash Gordon.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All that Cape Brandy was a killer then John, no wonder! But really some of the finest Brandies in the World you got there.
    Terrific Stuff! But yes i know exactly what you mean, may be not at Xmas time for me, but Oh Boy! Those Black Marias were bleedin hard when thrown in head first! Ouch!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast