Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My first trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My first trip

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    On 17th September 1967 I was in the shipping federation offices in Liverpool inquiring if there were any companies taking on deck cadets. . I enjoyed every minute of it, given the chance would I I do it again or would still be doing it if I hadn't been forced into early retirement.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Hi I am just curious about Greenbergs naval outfitters, we had one in Grimsby I was always under the impression it was a local company never came across them in Southampton.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2020 at 07:36 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GREENBERGS were in Canning Place in Liverpool when I was a lad. 70 years ago.
    Brian

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think anyone enjoyed tankcleaning and although you didn't any visits to a gym after hours of heaving Butterworth machines about. Tank diving had its moments although I don't suppose today you would be told to "go aft and have a smoke" to get gas out of your lungs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On liberty ships, there was a tank sounding pipe outside the saloon doorways, and were nearly always bunkering during a meal break.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not on Ships but in my days worked with RJ Southys in Durban and at one time was doing the large Oil Tanks at Caltex Refinery ( Catcracker Unit) there, Sand Blasting now that was hot and hard work and one was exhausted after cleaning up to 3 of those Monsters a day. Had all the Breathing gear , and special Clothing on which saved the Lungs but made it about 10 times hotter . Whew! A well paid job then but boy did you earn every penny!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2020 at 10:00 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent John, cracking start to your sea career. Thanks for posting.
    Jeff
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi George,
    Tank cleaning could be a nightmare, as the only apprentice on one tanker I did'nt see my bunk until it was finished, 36 tanks, just resting in the "office" in between moving the machines. Indian crew used to shout a lot but overall were pretty good. In with the wind drogues for a couple of weeks then down we went. Tank diving not good either, more or less get clean with white spirit then shower just because had to put uniform on to go to the saloon for a meal.
    Was really pleased when we learned we were going 'clean ship', spent two weeks in Port Said having tanks deep cleaned then 1st cargo of kerosene before moving on to petrol, aviation spirit etc.
    Another job I did not enjoy, somehow fuel oil had got into a fresh water tank and I had to crawl inside to clean it out. Happy days!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,
    The other thing was clambering about in the pump rooms setting up the valves for different tanks, white asbestos coming off the steam lines, as you say, no health and safety then.
    Getting ullage readings in heavy weather could be 'interesting' !
    Rgds
    Ken

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first trip was very nearly my last.
    One of my twice daily tasks was to take and record the temperature of the crude oil cargo at 07:00 and 17:00 hours. This was done by lowering a thermometer in a wooden case attached to a length of twine into the cargo to about mid depth, through the tanks ullage port. I would put thermometers in about 10 tanks and then go back to the first tank and pull out that tanks thermometer and record the temperature,
    You had to pinch the twine between thumb and finger to remove the crude oil in order that it would not go over the deck, so for each tank you would spend minutes over the ullage port trying not to breath in the fumes.
    Coming down the east African coast fully Loaded in beautiful hot calm weather, I was up at the No1 starboard tank pulling the thermometer up, looking after I could see the chief officer on the bridge wing frantically waving and shouting at me. "What a nice guy, waving at me" I thought. Then I realized he was warning me. Turning around all I could see was a wall of water from the huge sea we had shipped, rushing towards me. I had just enough time to grab hold of the tank lid before being completely being engulfed by the seas. I was under water for what seemed ages but was probably only seconds but it was enough to break my grasp on the tank lid and wash me towards the ships rail but fortunately came up against a deck fitting that prevented me from going overboard. Came like a drowned rat and shaking at my lucky escape. What did the mate say when I made to the bridge?
    "Hope you got the ullage lid shut before the wave hit, don't want sea water in the cargo".
    I had lost my notebook with the temperature records taken before being nearly washed overboard, so had to go back and start all over again, which made me late for breakfast, and that resulted getting an ear bashing from the steward and the cook.
    A happy chappy I was not!!
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to forget fixing the Butterworths.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast