Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crossing the line.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crossing the line.

Hi this my first post, re crossing the line. A relative of mine was a young sailor on the Franconia’s world cruise in 1939, I have the passengers log, given to all passengers showing the cruise itinerary, and photos of the trip, this included crossing the line, of which I have a few photographs of the “ ceremony “ looks like an excuse for having a good time

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Line crossing ceremony - Nitsichin (Ces) and Glannarg (Cam).jpg

Hope you can see the photo I've tried to attach! It's my grandad and a friend from probably the 1940's - I assume it's a line-crossing ceremony due to the outfits, but you may be able to advise me otherwise?

It's probably from the 1940s, but he was at sea from 1928 to 1958 and sailed to South America many, many times - so the date is a bit tricky to pinpoint!
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img20200221_10410346 (3).jpg

Crossing the line in Blue Star (or at least on my ship the New York Star back in 1977) left something of an impression on me. I was asleep after being on watch when a bunch of guys burst into my cabin, stripped me naked then dragged me out onto deck and strung me up from a crane cable. They'd been saving up kitchen scraps and engine oil for a week and they covered me in it. After that it got a bit brutal when they obligingly washed me down with a high pressure (sea water) hose, just about blinding me in the process.
    Is it too late to take Blue Star to the Court of Human Rights?

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Did not take part in any Den , but do recall the Ceremonies had many as the UCL both Mail and Intermediate Runs had them on each trip. They were good fun to watch (when one could ) and there were many good laughs!
    Good old King Neptune of course always made his appearances!
    Cheers
    Yes great memories I too was with the Union Castle Line as a 4th Engineer on board the Rochester Castle when King Nepture welcomed me to the southern hemisphere

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was a deck boy on the athlone castle i have still got my certificate of the crossing the line ceremony in november 1954.good fun was had by all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My husband told me he did . I cannot remember which ship it was though. His name Stanley Grinham. Aka Goolie. Some of the ship's he was on were:
    Mv Hauraki 1962, MS Ruahine 1962/63, MS Turakina 1963/64, MV Gloucester 1964-1966 The Hauraki again in 1966, TSS Hororata 1966, MV Nottingham 1966 and SSDevon 1967.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am most upset, as I wasn't given a certificate. I was on the MV Orbita, end of March 1980. I had heard all the stories, so wasn't particularly looking forward to the experience. We were at anchor just outside Guayaquil, having the traditional BBQ. After much alcohol was consumed, a fairly large scrum ensued, whereupon myself and another first tripper were unceremoniously dumped in the swimming pool. I thought at the time, I had got away with it very lightly.... Happy days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First trip junior eng in 1972, I was 21 and as of the time was very proud of my shoulder length hair! Never gave a crossing the line ceremony much of a thought to be honest, but quickly started to worry that I would end up with a "hot cross bun", what a relief when the furthest south we would go was Panama, however, there's always a however, the 2nd bent the line, I had one side of my pride and joy locks shortened, considerably!!! We were due into some gulf ports where they thought I would have to stay on board, no chance of that no matter how daft I might have looked, a good time was had by all(including me) and one of my many happy memories. Never had a crossing ceremony on any other ship, I think it must be reserved for passenger ships now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First trip to sea early 70's with John I Jacobs on MV Laurelwood crossed the line, myself and two other first trip 5th engineers underwent the ceremony, all ended up with shaved heads, I was worried sick about returning home bald. 14mths later after the best trip of my life around Pacific Islands I need not have fretted. A different man came back!!!

15. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    How many of us took part in 'crossing the line ceremonies'?
    I for one, first trip on The Warwick Castle, was too busy to even know there was such a thing.
    In fact, on future ships, I still never saw it.
    Hi Dennis,

My dad served on the warwick castle as a steward, fairly sure in 49/50, don't know what year you served, but maybe your paths crossed? His name was Peter Burrell, sadly crossed the bar now, but I am studying his time in the merchant. Please let me know if he rings a bell.
    Thanks,
    Jeff Burrell.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast