Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Living through WW2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Living through WW2

Shortly after the war and for a number of years after and before people got sanitised into other people’s beliefs , whale meat and horse flesh had to be queued up for And was considered a luxury. There are today certain sections of our community’s laying down laws that would never have been tolerated during wartime . People all over the world have different beliefs as regards food as feed like their ancient forebears did , and for this they are stigmanized by a few who have never had to go short on anything and live in a fools paradise and expect others to listen to their so called wisdom. War brought out the better or the worse in people , but thank God there were more better than worse in the British people. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The current situation here in the Leper colony, Victoria to those who do not know, is grim.
    Just about all the shops are closed apart from essentials, no restaurants open apart from take away, subjected to a night time curfew and a five kilometer radius of your house as far as you can go.
    Some are happy with it, but many complain.
    It is tough going but not as tough as it would have been in WW2, there are no bombs dropping, no food rationing, and the grog shops have been declared an essential service, and rightly so.

The younger generation do not like it, keeps them locked up they say, the problem is that since the war the amount of good things available far outweigh the bad.
    The young in most parts of society today have never had it tough, they are weak in character in many instances as a result of this.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the very interesting and thought-provoking thread. You might like to know that not all of us born post 1950 re quite so “spoon unable fed and spoilt” that we are unable to take any privation!

Born in 1958, make do and mend – and mend again was very much part of growing up. Both parents had served in WW2 and Mum came from a large family. She ws told to give up her sugar ration as her Dad had a swet tooth. Your post and other members comments brought back fond childhood memories.

Mum told a story of her brother coming home from Australia (I think). No one was home and he was walking along Vauxhall Bridge Road with a pineapple under one arm heading for where my Mum worked. He got so many weird looks he turned into a police station and asked the desk sergeant to look after it for him. Apparently, he never did get the pineapple back! Another fun tale mum told was returning home after a bombing raid. Her dad, who refused to leave the house even in those circumstances would take shelter under the kitchen table. Mum found him covered in soot after a bomb had landed in the next street, laughing. His comment was “Wel, we will not need to pay for the chimney to be swept for a while!”

Although I missed rationing, it was still a “spectre” within our family. If your main meal was not eaten a pudding did not follow. I remember my sisters arguing over Tizer with Sunday lunch (one complaining that the other had ben given more) the whole lot went down the sink – even mine!

I do have one puzzling memory is that my middle sister “remembers” sweets coming off rationing in September 1953 – at that time she would have been barely 15 months old! Thank you, Captain Kong for all the information about rationing. My husband tells of stories of “food parcels” being sent to the UK from Barbados until the mid-1950’s!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

This way, On 20th September 1950, the rationing of soap ended in Wales and the rest of Britain, with the rationing of other essential commodities, such as butter and sugar continuing until 1954.

Also as mentioned in #5: cigarettes and beer, were never rationed,
    due to the effect that might have had on public moral. bread and
    potatoes also were never rationed for the same reason.

K.

5. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith beer and cigarettes may or may not have been rationed but they were certainly in short supply . The beer was frequently watered down by people wanting to Make a bigger profit, and cigarettes were bought from under the counter until at least 1953 to my knowledge . Cigarettes were bought singly and if could purchase 3 at a go were lucky. As a 13 year old in 1950 I was a member of a school group the SSS or secret smokers society and at that age enjoyed my ciggies when could get from under the counter, paid for by my part time job as a butcher boy and later working for a cobbler. I still think we lived a better existence than what the youth of today live , and am pleased I lived through the times that I did rather than the present day . I find little appealing characteristics or traits in the present average modern Populance . The attitude of dog eat dog was never as popular as it is today.
    One of my council schools mottos was Manners Maketh Man , this must have disappeared many years ago. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd September 2020 at 01:08 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    This way, On 20th September 1950, the rationing of soap ended in Wales and the rest of Britain, with the rationing of other essential commodities, such as butter and sugar continuing until 1954.

bread and potatoes also were never rationed for the same reason.

K.
    Don't know where that came from, as I distinctly remember being in a queue with my ration book waiting for my weekly allowance of half a loaf a week, my sister queued with me so that we could get the whole loaf, as some shops were not too good on their half loaf measurements. Loafs were a standard size and there was only one size and one shape and they were not shop sliced or wrapped at that time

Keith at Tregenna Guest

As you say cigarettes and tobacco were not rationed but, supply v demand strict controls produced a thriving ‘black market’

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

#26: Bread Rationing was introduced in the UK by the Labour Government in July 1946 and remained in force for two years. Bread had never been rationed during the war and at the time was seen as the height of austerity.

K.

10. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John F Collier View Post
    I was six months old when the war started and six years old when it ended, so I knew nothing else, regarding food shortages, never had any
    sweets until after the war when things gradually became available but what you hadn't had you didn't miss, my two sisters were much older
    than me, both were spoilt rotten and treated me with disdain, Dad was in the army, so mum had her hand full, feeding clothing three kids in
    times of rationing was far from easy but as kids we didn't realise how hard it was for her. Because of the constant air raid sirens and bombing,
    Mum wanted us all sleeping together together, perhaps she felt it would be better for us to all go together if we were bombed?, we had a bomb
    sheltr in the garden but it was always deep in water. we had some bombs fall in the next street and Mum took us out to see what had happened,
    I can clearly remember seeing air raid wardens digging with their hands in the rubble trying to reach someone, they had a dog with them, maybe
    this was the time Mum decided to have us evacuated?, I can clearly remember standing with my sisters and many other children outside of the
    school, I had a label tied to my coat and my gas mask in a cardboard box, there was a convoy of red London busses ready to take us to our new
    homes. My sisters and me were taken to a village in Derbyshire where we were allocated to new homes, my sisters stayed in the village but I was
    taken to a farm outside of the village, the Farmer and his wife had no children and I was made very welcome, my time at the farm has some of my
    happiest memories, I can remember riding on the haywaggon, and the farmer lifting me up on to the back of the horse pulling the wagon, the men
    in the fields cutting the corn with scythes and others standing back with guns shooting rabbits as they ran out from the corn, I also remember the
    big Harvest display in the church, a completely different world from London. The I was suddenly told we were to be sent home, it seems my sisters
    had been on form and played up so much they were no longer wanted, we came as a unit and as such, we were returned as a unit, it wasn't so long
    after that, we were bombed, I was in the living room with mum when she heard the dreaded sound of a doodlebug overhead, whcn the engine stopped
    she grabbed me and dived under the heavy table that was under the window, there was a huge explosion and the window came crashing down on the
    table, soot came down the chimney and it was pitch black, I remember somebody pulling us out from under the table and leading us out of the house.
    I will never forget seeing our porch hanging from the wall, glass and debris everywhere, mums bed that we all shared was hanging out of what used
    to be the bedroom wall, we walked up the road to my uncle Fred's house. we were rehoused in a flat above a shop at Friern Barnet, only a few miles
    away. Opposite the flat was a very large building set in spacious grounds, it was being used for soldiers etc to recuperate after being wounded, the
    yanks would hang around the gates and we used to go over and asks them "Got any Gum chum" they were a good hearted lot and always gave us
    a stick of gum, that is the only sweets I can remember in the wartime, the building turned out to be a 19th century "mad house" called Natsbury.
    We still lived there when they held the VE day celebrations, there was a big street party "no food" every child got a present, mine was a small sized
    blackboard and easel, there was two effigies hanging from a lamp post, probably Hitler and Mussolini, our house in Wood Green had been rebuilt and
    we went home, dad was demobbed and my first memory of him is at the age of 6.5 years, seeing him in a brown pinstriped demob suit. cheers

'
    CORRECTION: Sorry for my mistake, the Hospital that I named as Natsbury is at St Albans, the Hospital that I knew at Friern Barnet, was known
    in the 19c as Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum, there was a fire which caused many deaths, it was rebuilt in the early 1900s and was later renamed as
    Friern Hospital.That is the building that I knew as a child, again, apologise for my mistake, cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 23rd September 2020 at 04:59 PM.

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    A boys view of the Second World War.

When the Second World War started on 3rd of September,1939, I was five years old, and life as we knew it changed dramatically.
    Suddenly we had no sweets, no fruit such as bananas, grapes or oranges in the shops, our Ice Cream Man, Mr Manfredi, of Italian stock was interned on the Isle of Man for the Duration, so no more ice cream for six years. Food was rationed by the Government, we were issued ration books and when Mum, went shopping the shop keeper cut the coupons out of the book, and that was all you were allowed to have for that week.
    Food Rationing.
    (Quantities shown are per person per week)
    29th September 1939 - National Register set up & Identity cards issued.
    8 January 1940 - Food rationing begins. Bacon, ham, sugar and butter now rationed.
    January 1940 - 4oz. Butter, 12oz. Sugar & 4 oz. Bacon allowed a week for each person.
    March 1940 - 1s.10d worth of meat allowed per person a week (9p today). Sausages were not rationed but difficult to get; offal (liver, kidneys, tripe's) was originally un-rationed but sometimes formed part of the meat ration.
    July 1940 - Tea 2oz 1s 10d (9p). Butter, margarine, cooking fats and cheese rationed. Sugar cut to
    8 oz 1s 10d (9p). The Government announced no more bananas no more fresh or tinned fruit to be imported except a few oranges for children only.
    March 1941 - Jam, marmalade, treacle and syrup rationed. 8 oz per person per week.
    May 1941- Cheese ration increased to 2 oz's per person per week.
    June 1941- Eggs: 1 fresh egg a week if available but often
    only one every two weeks. Meat ration cut to 1s 6d (7.5p) per person per week then to 1s 2d (6p):
    by June 1941 it was down to 1s (5p).
    July 1941- Sugar ration doubled to encourage people to make their own jam during the fruit season.
    August 1941 - Extra cheese ration for manual workers introduced
    December 1941 - Points scheme for food introduced. National dried milk introduced
    December 1941 - Milk went on ration 3 pints per person per week (1800ml) occasionally dropping
    to 2 pints (1200ml). This amount also varied for young children and expectant mothers.
    Expectant mothers, children and invalids were allowed 7 pints of milk per week. Expectant mothers
    and children were also allowed up to 18 eggs per month. Children were allowed orange and rosehip syrup as well as cod liver oil. Household milk (skimmed or dried) was available : 1 packet per four weeks.
    January 1942 Rice & Dried Fruit added to points system. tea ration for under fives was withdrawn. sweets 2 oz per person per week.
    February 1942 Canned tomatoes and Peas. Soap rationed (1 small tablet per month).
    April 1942 Breakfast cereals and condensed milk added to points system.
    June 1942 - American dried egg powder on sale. 1s 9d (9p) per packet (equivalent to 12 eggs)
    Wholemeal loaf
    ("The National loaf") introduced (far more wheat used which meant less wastage.
    Sausages contained less and less real pork or beef , Horsemeat commonly available
    (later whale meat was also available)
    July 1942 - Sweets and chocolate 2 oz per person per week.
    August 1942 - Biscuits added to points system.
    August 1942 - Cheese ration was increased to 8 oz per person per week.
    December 1942 Oat flakes added to points system.
    December 1944 - Extra tea allowance for 70 year olds and over introduced.
    January 1945 - Whale meat and snoek fish available for sale.
    July 1946 - Bread rationed

Dates Items Came off Ration
    July 1948 - Bread.
    December 1948 - Jam.
    May 1950 - Points rationing ended.
    October 1952 - Tea.
    February 1953 - Sweets.
    April 1953 - Cream.
    March 1953 - Eggs.
    September 1953 - Sugar.
    May 1954 - Butter, cheese, margarine and cooking fats.
    June 1954 - Meat and bacon
    So Rationing was ended after 15 years.
    The first bananas to arrive from the West Indies was in November, 1947, so I had gone 8 years
    without seeing a banana. They came on a ship called `TILAPA` and in 1954, 7 years later, I was a Sailor on that very same ship, we carried 250,000 stalks of bananas from Jamaica. every voyage.
    I joined the Merchant Navy in 1951 and was issued with a M.N. Ration Book, we had double the
    rations of ordinary people at home, and Mother got a lot of abuse off other shoppers in the CO-OP
    when they saw the assistant give her more food on my ration book than they got.

Clothing was also on ration, you had to use your coupons to buy new clothes, or as we did, we had to wear clothes from older brothers or sisters, when my 8 year old cousin Richard was killed in 1942 and I was 7 years old, I had to wear all his clothes and shoes, nothing was wasted.

In the gardens we dug up the lawns and flower beds and we had to "Dig for Victory",
    we planted vegetables, potatoes, cabbages, carrots, peas and so on.
    In the council parks they were also dug up for vegetables.
    Every where we went, out playing or going to school, we had to carry our Gas Masks, in a cardboard box and a piece of string that we slung over our shoulder, in case the Germans dropped gas bombs.
    I was always losing mine, the Policeman was always knocking on our door bringing it back, and I would be in trouble for losing it.

When the Sirens went off we had to go into the air raid shelter, at our old terraced house it was a brick built , concrete roof box about six feet square,
    On night in December 1940 our house was hit by a bomb, a terrifying experience, as the house crashed down on top of the shelter burying us and we were trapped for nearly 12 house before we were dug out by the ARP, and Fire Service.
    We had Nothing, no clothes, no money, no food, no belongings at all, just Nothing. no where to go, no home, Nothing. Today they whinge and whine. when they get Benefits of all kinds.

I had to gp and stay at my Grandma`s home 3 miles away, the family split up for two years. Then we got a Council house.in 1942 and became a family again We had a garden with aa shelter in the back garden.

My school was closed and turned into a "Air Raid Wardens Post" which meant that we did not go to school.for a long time. Then sometimes half of us went to school in the mornings only and the other half went in the afternoons only. Then later on in the war we were transferred to another school and joined in the classes there, There were more than 60 children to a class room and some of us sat in the corridor and the teacher kept the door open so we could hear what she was saying. Most of our Teachers were
    called up to go into the Army, Navy or Air Force. My favourite teacher, Miss Dawes, had to go into the Navy or the WRNS. A lot of old Teachers who had retired had to go back to teaching again.
    In the school yard they built air raid shelters, and we had to have air raid and fire drills every week unless there was a real air raid then it was`nt a drill it was the real thing.
    A lot of schools were bombed and a lot of teachers and school children were killed.
    A school in Liverpool was hit and about two hundred pupils and staff were killed, the bodies stayed there, they could not get them out and so they made a memorial park over the site.
    A friend of mine was running to school holding his little sister`s hand and the German fighter plane machine gunned the street and when he got to the end of the street he only had half a sister with him, she was dead and her bottom half was up the street.
    One day we saw a German plane that had been damaged circling around, it passed over my house and in the next road it crashed through the front of a house, killing a lady in the house.
    It came out into the back street in a pile of rubble. My pals and I were the first to arrive on the scene and the smashed up plane was smoking with a few flames coming out of the engine. the Pilot was dead in the cockpit. We were excited because this was the closest we had been to a German plane and it did not bother us that the Pilot was dead. We were scrambling over the rubble to find souvenirs, then the Police, Firemen and Air Raid Wardens arrived and chased us off. It could have exploded and killed us all.
    We collected a lot of souvenirs, such as shrapnel, bullets, bomb tail fins and lots of other objects that fell from the skies.
    At night when the air raid sirens went off to warn us of an air raid, we went into the air raid shelter in the back garden. It was called an `Anderson` Shelter, named after the man who designed it. It was made of corrugated
    iron and was buried in the ground with soil on top of it. Inside it was just big enough for up to six people to hide in there and we had bunk beds to sleep in. One night my Mum was working as a bus conductress and was in the town center in Bolton. She was in a transport cafe with her Driver with a few other transport people.
    The air raid started with bombs dropping and she said to her driver that she was going outside as it would be safer. She just got outside the door when a bomb hit the Cafe and blew it up killing every one inside.
    My Mum was blown up in the air and across the road and hit the church railings. She nearly went through like sliced bread. She was injured but survived.
    We were in our air raid shelter when it happened, about one mile away, and the shock waves from the bomb bounced us out of our bunks, just like an earthquake. We didnt know Mum, had been blown up until next morning when Dad went out to look for her. She was found injured covered in rubble.
    Air raid shelters did not protect you if you got a direct hit from a bomb. Many air raid shelters were hit and everyone killed. One Shelter that was bombed in Liverpool killed 166 men, women and children. In the May, 1941, Blitz, or air raid, in Liverpool in one night nearly two and a half thousand people were killed by the bombing.
    Manchester and districts were heavily bombed and thousands of people killed. Some times at night when the blitz was on we stood on top of our air raid shelter and watched Manchester burning, all the night sky was lit up as bright as day with all the flames.
    In the houses people stuck sticky paper across the windows in patterns. This was supposed to stop broken glass flying around the room if there was a bomb blast. There was a complete `black out`. which meant you had to have a thick black blind that came down over the windows and your curtains so not even a chink of light showed out. The Air Raid Wardens walked around the streets checking all the houses to see if any light showed,
    There were no street lights at all, everywhere was in total darkness. A bit scary as a child walking home at night.
    There were no or very few cars on the road and they had no lights on.
    Some houses, like ours, had a sign in the window saying. "STYRUP PUMP HERE"
    which meant we were issued with a pump so if there was a house on fire in the street we could get a bucket of water put the pump in and push the handle up and down and get water through the hose pipe. They were not very successful, but we had great fun squirting water on each other.
    We had no sweets during the war so some times we made our own kind of sweet.
    We would get some sugar put it on a board and get a red hot poker and roll it over in the sugar, and when it cooled it was like a sweet. or we chewed the wax off a candle and when it melted it was soft like chewing gum, or we had a bag of oats and sugar.
    The best thing to do was when the American Soldiers were over here, driving around town in their jeeps.
    We would run after them shouting, "Any Gum Chum" or "Any Candy Sandy" and they would throw handfuls of candy bars and Wrigleys Chewing Gum out onto the road and all our gang would be scrabbling on the ground after it.
    Some times they threw packets of Lucky Strike and Chesterfield cigarettes, we would then sell these to the grown ups for spending money.
    Near my house was a road, Beaumont Road, about one mile in length, surrounded by fields, no one lived there, in the middle was a bridge over the railway line. Suddenly one day thousands of tanks,armoured cars and self propelled guns appeared and there were armed soldiers at each end of the road to stop people going near them.
    But our `gang` walked along the railway line and climbed up the supports of the bridge and then we climbed into the tanks, fantastic. this was our play ground ,wonderful, we didnt need toys we had the real thing. and we never got caught. Then one day we found they had completely vanished overnight. It was just before D Day, 6 June 1944, the whole lot had been shipped onto the railway and sent down to Southampton for the invasion of Normandy in France.
    Another time we found that some spare ground that is now behind the Bolton Technical College, was full of American bomber planes bodies, the wings were stored somewhere else.
    We could get into the planes and sit in the Pilots seat and pretend that we were on a mission to Germany. We had a great time.

Below.,
    Here is where our home used to be until Adolf got us rehoused..

Brian
    That brought back many memories. I was born in 1933 in Birmingham and although I don't remember all the details of the rationing, I do remember the bombing. We had a Morrison shelter as our dining room table and spent a quite a few nights under it. There was an AA gun and barrage balloon located in the HP sauce sports ground at the back of our housing estate in Erdington and on a morning after a raid, you were excused if you were late for school. So we dawdled to school, looking for fresh, shiny shrapnel. We had a spent incendiary bomb land in our front garden, which my Mother dealt with, using stirrup pump and sand. My parents disposed of my collection of shrapnel and my prized tail fin after the war, when I went to sea
    Alan

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast