Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Living through WW2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Living through WW2

I wonder how todays generation would cope with what we had to put up with..
    All I hear on TV is people suffering from Mental stress because of a bit of Lockdown. money problems and so on.

We had nothing when the war started and nothing when the war finished BUT we sang all the old songs every night in the Air Raid Shelters.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think it would be very hard on Todays Generation Capt but having said that when one has to do something it would take time but sure they would just have to cope ,as did all during those terrible Years.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a case here last week where an elderly couple were attacked in their home and items of jewellery stolen. The couple in their ninetys on their initial interview the bloke was in tears over the loss of his war medals and I only heard it said once which was I thought very appropriate was that he had shot better men than these mongrels during the war. It was never repeated in subsequent interviews as probably not politically correct , these people have a lot to answer for on judgement day. JS
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Good job these did not get used.

This is one aircraft you wouldn't want to fly...
    Germany's piloted flying bomb.

1 19982471_3280189585396407_1360523433667248835_o.jpg

Here, a British officer from the Royal Engineers is sitting in the pilot’s seat to illustrate how it all worked.

This photo was taken about a month after the end of the war in Europe. A large number of these flying bombs were found loaded on flat cars on a railway siding in woods near Lüneburg.

In the barracks shown on the left, evidence was found that the plan was for a ‘pilot’ to be dispatched in the same way as a standard V1 flying bomb. The pilot had a simple elevate and depress joystick and a foot controlled rudder bar, a basic map of London and, if he could identify a particular and important landmark, he was to push the stick forward and bale out. The pilot had a lifejacket and a parachute, but that wouldn't do him much good...

Pilots for these flying bombs were chosen from Germans in prison serving life sentences. They were told they would be captured but would get food and accommodation in prison in Britain, and that they had redeemed themselves in doing a 'good deed' for the Fatherland.

The truth was that even if they had the superhuman strength to lift the canopy, at over 500mph they would certainly be sucked into the engine behind them.

Fortunately, the war ended before these piloted flying bombs could be used.

VIA: The Second World War Experience Centre.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, #6, almost a mirror image of my wartime I was evacuated in 43 and home to a bunch of strangers in 45. My last visit to England I went to Horbry (sp?) Yorkshire and took photos of the house I was staying in. Only there it was effigies of Hitler, one side and Goring and Goebbels together on the other side, hanging from the lamp posts. I remember I wondered why they were hanging Laurel and Hardy, I thought they were funny.

Rodney

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thought just crossed my mind. Moms during our childhood stayed home and dad worked, and one paycheck was enough to raise a family plus there was no medical coverage until 1948 (yes Keith I know it was July 5th), today there's lots of lovely things to buy, so both mom and dad have to work.

Rodney

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Many tell here of evenings sat on the doorstep, chatting, joking, laughing, playing,
    looking at the stars and the sky. A normal evening no tellie etc, then one night or
    several, what was thought initially to be a "Red sky at night, shepherds delight"
    was actually Swansea in the distance burning.

K.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The common phrase "red sky at morning" is a line from an ancient rhyme often repeated by mariners:[1]

Red sky at night, sailors' delight.
    Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.[2][3][4]

The concept is over two thousand years old and is cited in the New Testament as established wisdom that prevailed among the Jews of the Second Temple Period by Jesus in Matthew 16:2-3.

He,he, Rodney

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Just those times, children thinking all was normal,
    actual events saw many perish.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 The first Temple being destroyed by the Babylonians , who today are better known as the Iranians and previous the Persians. The years May roll by but mans history has a reputation of repeating itself. JS
    R575129

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast