Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Postage stamps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Postage stamps

Ref. Recent post where the penny black was brought up. Going on google it was first initiated in 1840 and stands at number 10 in the list of most sought after stamps . Today’s value depending on condition is valued at $3000 . I thought it wpuld have been worth more to the right collector. Cheers JS.
    See this site is for mn news only too late . However as postage was a big thing in the life of a seaman can only excuse the mistake by saying it is maritime orientated. JS....,
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th June 2020 at 12:19 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Postage stamps

PENNY BLACK STAMPS PRICE GUIDE (From Google)
    Rarity
    Generally, the Penny Black stamp is not a rare stamp. The total print run from all the Penny Black plates was 286,700 sheets (each sheet contained 240 unperforated stamps). This meant that sixty eight million Penny Black Stamps were issued (68,158,080 to be precise). Assuming a survival rate of two percent, there are likely to be about 1.3 million still in existence. However, the survival rate may be considerably more than two percent.
    The reason for the good survival rate is because in Victorian times, envelopes were an exception rather than the rule. Instead the letter was folded and sealed with sealing wax with the stamp being stuck on the outside of the folded letter. Today the envelope and stamp is thrown away and the letter kept, but in Victorian times the letter together with the stamp was kept. This applied to legal and business correspondence as well as personal letters. For years, Penny Black stamps lay safely hidden in the filing cabinets of banks and solicitors all over the country. When the cabinets were eventually emptied many years later, the value of Penny Black stamps was already appreciated and many were sold as collectors items.
    Factors determining value

From google:

Penny Blacks can cost anywhere between $100-350 for an example in good condition. However, mint Penny Blacks may fetch upwards of $3000 at auction. Other than its condition, there are other factors that can affect the value of a Penny Black.

The value of a Penny Black Stamp depends on three factors:

1. The physical condition of the stamp
    2. The plate used to print the stamp
    3. The appearance of the white margins
    The physical condition – faults in the condition of the stamp such as thinning, tears, creases or stains will lower the value.
    The plate used to print the stamp - some plates are rarer than others. The rarest is plate 11.

The appearance of the margins – Penny Blacks were not perforated and the seller had to cut out the stamps from the sheet using scissors or a knife. There was only about 1mm between the stamps and it was not unusual to accidentally cut into the printed section of the stamp, resulting in irregular margins. The number, size, and regularity of the margins make all contribute to the value of the Penny Black stamp.
    For example, a Penny Black with two full margins and a reasonable amount of the other two margins is regarded as an average specimen. Stamps with four, regular margins are exceptional, and collectors will pay higher prices for these stamps.

An example of a used Penny Black with I - L letter corners from plate 8 with four good margins. Note the red, Maltese Cross cancellation stamp.

From Google (How much is a Penny Black worth?)

How much is a Penny Black stamp worth? In 2008, a Penny Black in poor condition can cost as little as £15. A reasonable looking Penny Black will cost you £25. A better quality specimen might cost £60 to £100. A stamp with unusual attributes can cost up to £250. Mint examples are considerably more valuable – expect to pay anything from £1800 upwards. By contrast, a used Penny Red can cost as little as £1.50.

Penny Black stamps sold in presentation folders, with certificates of authenticity tend to be priced at well above market rates.

Rodney: The one I have is certified in "very good condition". I would guess after twenty odd years, I would maybe get back the 175 pounds and if I was lucky a wee bit for inflation. In any case, it and the rest are going to my niece.
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 14th June 2020 at 08:09 PM.

3. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some years back I removed this cutting from a local newspaper. I found it interesting because today it would be null and void. The most sought after stamps it seems are those with errors in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife's stepmother who passed away last year in NZ, was said to have had a half sheet of penny blacks that she obtained when in the WAAF during the war, don't know what happened to them, probably thrown out with the rubbish.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Am sure you would have had no use for the money Des !!! JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find little use for such things these days.
    We do get the reduced seniors stamps which are good at Christmas and birthday times.

But if I write now it is usually to either the local council, my MP, about as good as titts on a bull, or the Gov in general.
    Never put a stamp on, send them REPLY PAID, they all get a postal allowance, we do not.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get a letter from the PM and the Governor General ever Birthday and wedding anniversary John . Anyone can do it in WA at least, if they fit the age requirements and over 55 years married. It gives me perverse pleasure to make belief I have them on a leash. JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th June 2020 at 06:40 AM.
    R575129

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, here in Mexico we get bugger all on special occasions from the state gov.
    But hang in there mate the Queen still sends them out.
    Mate of mine in UK, his mother got one two years ago and she is still going strong.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All you do here is see your MP with appropriate certificates , you even get one from her as well. Also as wedding anniversary gets put on TV, although I have yet to give them a picture to put on the screen. Was thinking when they ask of giving them one of Brian ( Kong ) with his one legged dolly in South America somewhere. Sure he won’t mind !! JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI John.
    Been married over 61 years haven"t even had a telegram from the kids, let alone a shonky MP.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast