Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: History and money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default History and money.

As the time for sitting back and perusing ones navel is coming to an end here in WA , one can now sit up and take notice .History ours in particular and quite modern is easy to see. If it carry’s on at the same rate of knots , there will be no human life form on ships of the future. At present modern ships need only a few key figures on board to get from A to B. I have come to the conclusion with the help of my belly button , that this is for mercenary reasons only. The current virus situation has shown however we still have people on earth with some morals in the shapes of our medical professions who also find job satisfaction in a very hard , but rewarding ( not in cash ) profession.
    The only one safe for employment at the moment Is the refuse bin collector which is a council job , and he empties the bins alone whereas a few years ago it took at least 6 of a crew, but even he must be getting nervous with the advent of robots. With all these job paying salary’s how can the powers that try to be talk about embargoes and recessions. As to ships they all need a power source so must have the technical expertise to repair when out of order so hope they are all lined up ready. The only instruments that I can think of that don’t require are the meteorological ones plus the magnetic compass which aren’t used today as all weather reports come via technology.. This word recession always gets me , why don’t they describe it more to the layman that it means the industrialist is not making his millions daily profit margins , so will have to pay off a few more unfortunate than himself. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: History and money.

What is the old saying, "Go where no man fears to tread," something like that. Young people on TV last night starting to dabble in the stock market, told to beware. I did that once, a company that I had a small number of shares in dissapeared of the Market couldn't find out where or why. The shares go down and the Wolf in the shape of Soros, or some other predator is is watching, watching, raising the shares slightly until the little man thinks this is my time and puts his hard earned on, then snap, the shares drop like a stone, panicking he sells, and Soros takes all. Then he lays in wait for the next mug.
    Anyone noticed the way the market is fluctuating all the time?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fluctuating, all the gains of the last ten days wiped out today all because of something that the USA finance guy said.

But yes, robots and technology will have a big effect on how we do things in the future.
    I was involved with a ZOOM meeting yesterday something new but the way of future communication.

Since the end of WW2 man has learned and invented more than all the time on earth prior to that.
    The splitting of the atom was the beginning of it all and now we can see just what it is capable of.

But at th e same time medical science is keeping man, and woman, alive for much longer, but this in turn is placing more pressure on the natural resources.
    We are told that there will be millions of jobs to be formed and needed in finance, medical, education etc in the future, one just has to hope they are correct.

As to shipping, the USA have been experimenting with a crew less ship for the past few years in the hope it is the future of shipping.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

History, (as I know nothing about money) I see that a statue of Christopher Columbus has been torn down by native Indians in Minnesota, whilst the police stood by, they only moved to protect the statue after it had been torn down, apparently it was a symbol of slavery.

Baden Powell has been removed from Poole.

How long before Nelson's Column is removed in case it upsets people in Spain.

Will Nelson Mandella's statue be removed because he has the name Nelson, it possibly won't be removed because he put lighted tyres around his opponents necks before the days of his reincarnation as a peaceful man.

I note that 60 statues in the UK are on the perusal list for possible removal

George Orwell in the novel 1984 is coming true, the thought police are on their way, if not already here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems to me that there are a group of people, who are just waiting to protest against anything, they cannot wait to make their placards and march in the street. What makes me wonder is, where do they work ?, make their living ?. They must be bored to tears and not know what to do next. god help us if there was to be another war, these people are the ones we would be depending on, this world needs a bloody big shake up, thats my little rant for the day, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 not sure where Lord Baden Powell connects with the current thread. He did a lot for the young of this country. Perhaps it was the unfortunate choice of title of his famous manual 'Scouting for Boys' that the good citizens of Poole considered him for toppling.
    Last edited by John Gill; 11th June 2020 at 09:25 AM.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Most of what you see is the long term resuit of the welfare state. In our time it was demeaning to go on the dole, today it is a right , and also considered a job, to some having to get out of bed to collect it. To magnify the problem in recent times it’s open to all who can fill in a claim form, and more than likely not getting to the people who deserve and merit it. No good making excuses for them as to the shortage of employment . Years ago when we heard a politician say for the most to get on their bikes and look , today if he said the same he would probably be stoned by some of the rabble. Young fit men could as a last resort could join the armed forces, but looking at some of them , think a lot would be rejected as would be a disgrace to the uniform. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th June 2020 at 10:03 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    It seems to me that there are a group of people, who are just waiting to protest against anything, they cannot wait to make their placards and march in the street. What makes me wonder is, where do they work ?, make their living ?. They must be bored to tears and not know what to do next. god help us if there was to be another war, these people are the ones we would be depending on, this world needs a bloody big shake up, thats my little rant for the day, kt
    Maybe conscription would be the answer Keith, but the human rights lawyers would probably nip that in the bud.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8, 90% would not pass the entrance test for National Service, if the spelling by University students is anything to go by, anyway all the modern snowflakes would melt without mummy and daddy to fall back on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who, what organisations are behind all this so called discontent?
    We had E. R. BY Greta Thunburg a few months ago. Now we have Black Lives Matter, rising to the top of the protest pile.
    Who funds these organisations, who benefits from the discontent?
    These protests set out peacefully then descend into anarchy, what protest organisations take grappling irons, ropes and flares on a peaceful demo.
    Vic

12. Thanks John Gill thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast