Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: The Police State ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Police State ?

Thank goodness it wasn’t named after the penny black . Don’t know how many are now in existence , can’t see their owners advertising them at Sotheby’s at present. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... AND THE CURSE OF MODERN SLAVERY.

HOPE FOR JUSTICE was formed nearly 12 years ago and is busier than ever. William Wilberforce ( 1759-1833) worked so hard to abolish Slavery throughout the British Colonies with the Slave Trade Act of 1833. Here we are, in our Country and World wide, nearly 200 years later and Modern Slavery is spreading like an evil plague.

Modern Slavery takes many forms; Domestic Labour; Forced Labour; Debt Bondage Labour; Child Labour; Forced Marriages; the very worst of exploitation against Women and Girls and also Men and Boys; people used for organ Harvesting; Drug running or County Lines.

County Lines are the boundaries between our Counties where the Criminals think that they can avoid County Police Forces. A year ago more than 850 vulnerable adults and children were rescued in raids around the UK.

This is where Hope for Justice comes in. Their first remit is to RESCUE. Then to RESTORE;- this means offering a safe place for the survivors of Modern Slavery. Thirdly to REFORM, by training frontline Professionals (Police, NHS Staff and many others) to spot the signs of Modern Slavery. They also seek policy change through Government and the Media, helping Companies protect their Supply Chains from Traffickers.
    The U.N. have figures of 40 million slaves world wide and many tens of thousands in the U.K. These are huge figures but we shouldn't be discouraged. We can help.

How?
    * Be on the lookout for people who have no payslips or contracts
    * If you pay less than £7 for a Car Wash , we are probably benefiting from exploitation. There is a Car Wash App that you can download and check if you are suspicious.
    * Who does your Wife's nails?
    * Prepares your food in a café/shop/ restaurant/hotel
    * Agriculture
    * Manual Labour and Construction
    * Recycling and Waste Management

Please look at the Hope for Justice webpage. Hope for Justice | Change Lives. End Slavery. There is so much more information there about the work of H4Justice both here and abroad. Our daughter, Elaine, works (very hard !) for them
    As William Wiberforce said; " You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did nor know."

Thanks for reading
    regards
    Brenda

3. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John re.#134

There's heaps of Penny Blacks floating about. My late wife collected stamps and there are about seven of eight albums here at home. Half were collected by her grandfather who was a serious collector. I have no idea what is the value of the collection or care as I am passing it on to her niece. However I do know what was paid for one stamp. It's a Penny Black:

We were wandering around London in 1987 and it was raining and cold and damp. We noticed there were quite a number of stamp and coin shops catering to collectors, so I suggested we have a look inside a couple. She became ecstatic at the array of stamps. Anyway after much humming and harring she agreed to let me buy her a Penny Black.

The one she picked out finally was certified and graded in very good condition (it came with a certification of origin and condition) and I paid one hundred and seventy-five pounds for it in 1987.

I have no idea of it's value today, as part of that price was the dealers markup the actual resale value then could have been a hundred pounds plus or less. I would guess the collection of stamps is not as wide spread today as it was then. Anyway, I at the moment have one.

You have to remember, the Penny Black was the first postage stamp and it was used for quite a few years and there were millions printed and in use.

It's the stamps that only had a minimal run and only have a couple of surviving stamps that are worth and sell for millions, as I said there's heaps of Penny Blacks.

Rodney.

If you want to see what one looks like, I think I could take a photo of ours and post it to this thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My stamp collecting days I was very young but do know a lot of the foreign stamps had Hitlers Head on them. Could never afford a penny black though
    Regards JS
    R575129

6. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Penny Lane was never named after James Penny the industrialist/Slave trader, Penny Lane was named after a Toll Bridge which charged a penny to cross and became known as Penny Lane.

That's according to Liverpool historian Laurence Westgaph
    Yes Ivan, He has been appearing on t.v. North West quite a bit over the last few weeks, There are always other speculations as the true identity of a street name etc... But the truth is know one knows the exact reason for the naming of Penny Lane, Whatever it is you should not try and airbrush anything with regard to local history and the slave trade it only causes contempt, And Paul M Cartney wrote the song because he grew up in the area not because of any other reason. p.s. There was a peaceful protest in Liverpool City centre yesterday Black Lives Matter all colours and genders attended happy to report not one arrest. Regards Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 14th June 2020 at 11:05 AM.
    {terry scouse}

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder why the "Black Lives Matter" people never said a word about the
    Genocide and Mass Killing of civilians in Ruanda.
    800,000. a little more than one criminal in the US.

During the Rwandan genocide of 1994, members of the Hutu ethnic majority in the east-central African nation of Rwanda murdered as many as 800,000 people, mostly of the Tutsi minority. Started by Hutu nationalists in the capital of Kigali, the genocide spread throughout the country with shocking speed and brutality, as ordinary citizens were incited by local officials and the Hutu Power government to take up arms against their neighbors. By the time the Tutsi-led Rwandese Patriotic Front gained control of the country through a military offensive in early July, hundreds of thousands of Rwandans were dead and 2 million refugees (mainly Hutus) fled Rwanda, exacerbating what had already become a full-blown humanitarian crisis.
    Rwandan Ethnic Tensions
    By the early 1990s, Rwanda, a small country with an overwhelmingly agricultural economy, had one of the highest population densities in Africa. About 85 percent of its population was Hutu; the rest were Tutsi, along with a small number of Twa, a Pygmy group who were the original inhabitants of Rwanda.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The world is different place now.

It must move on.

A minority always jump in and cause chaos.

The minority are neither required or wanted.

BLM need to further distance themselves from these losers, white groups calling themselves statue protectors and do this with Nazi salutes and violence. Peeing on police monuments. BLM does not stand for Blame. Those that infiltrate, cause mayhem and call themselves British are to blame.

Stop tearing down statues and ruining memorials with graffiti and vandalism. It’s not going to change the past. History has already been written. Pulling down a statue isn’t going to stop that person from existing or doing what they did.

Things are different now to how they were back then. Nobody is condoning that the likes of slavery and racism was ok, that’s why it’s not accepted today in society and rightly so. We are all the same no matter what we look like or where we come from. Our country is built on history and foundations made by people that you may not like, who might of done things you don’t like or agree with but that’s not now. It built the country and economy we live in today.

Peaceful protests have spread the message of BLM all across the world because that is what we need, but stop all the hate crime and trying to rewrite history because all this is doing is causing an even greater divide between people. I honestly hope that black lives matters does manage to make positive changes in the world but it needs to be done right.

Do you remember that time Martin Luther king set fire to buildings and gathered thousands of people to commit crime, loot shops and hurt people? No..... because he didn’t need too. He was a visionary who did things the right way, his task was impossible and look what he gained for the world.... learn from that.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 14th June 2020 at 02:05 PM.

11. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Between street names being rubbished, Statues pulled down and defaced and not so much a breakdown of law and order but certainly clashes' with police, I think the message has got threw to those who had to change there ways. What more do the protesters want do they think they are entitled to some form of financial compensation, {FROM WHOME } A medal of some kind, {FROM WHOME } I wish someone would ask them what exactly do you want to happen, Do you want the plight of your ancestor's whipped out and all traces of slave history in most countries' around the world never to be mentioned again. What more can Governments around the world do that will satisfy you we cant any of us re write the history books. Hopefully George Floyds terrible death. Will in time never be repeated. Black Lives Matter ok we get your point. So why are there these clashes with police happening. I really don't get it sorry maybe i am missing something here i wish someone would tell me what it is Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Keith at Tregenna Guest

A man has been arrested in Essex on suspicion of outraging public
    decency after he was allegedly photographed urinating next to a
    memorial to PC Keith Palmer.

'These images are seen across the world, they will damage Britain's
    reputation. It will make us look like we are not in control.'

How can a human being behave like that? I don't get it, it's beyond belief.

A faction / fraction of people only had one intention - to be
    violent and unlawful, they didn't come here to protect the
    statues, it's just disorder and unruliness.

The bloke peeing by the memorial was not black. Several
    hundred demonstrators, mostly white men, attended the
    protest organised by far-right groups, including Britain First,
    which claimed they wanted to protect statues such as Winston
    Churchill from vandalism.

But fights erupted in areas near the Houses of Parliament
    and Trafalgar Square as demonstrators repeatedly hounded
    police officers with foul-mouthed chants and missiles, smoke
    grenades and flares.

Shards of glass were strewn along the streets close to the
    Cenotaph on Whitehall after bottles were thrown at police
    officers clad in riot gear.

The violent scenes are in contrast with peaceful demonstrations
    that took place at Hyde Park and Marble Arch by anti-racism protesters.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 14th June 2020 at 03:14 PM.

14. Likes Paul Johnson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NB Moved the last replies plus mine to another Thread called Passports
    Thanks
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast