Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Police State ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Police State ?

Rodney, so sorry to hear of your sad loss, may your wife rest in peace.
    Vic

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion, disparate opinions but without opprobrium, I would like to tell a story related to some of the comments in later posts, but it is a little long, therefore I shall post it as an article in 'Nautical Tales' entitled 'Judging a book by its cover', I hope yo have it finished in an hour or so, enjoy.
    Cheers, Paul.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

RE: The riots in Cardiff #102.

A BIT MORE ON THIS FOR ANYONE INTERESTED:

Dedicated to the elders of Butetown and Tiger Bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=059T...Ba1ft0OS6F4tHM

Keith.

Added:

My hometown, Barry, is a remarkable place which has produced some remarkable people.

Former Plaid Cymru leader, Gwynfor Evans, was named the 4th most important Welsh person of the last Millennium.

The story of Gareth Jones, who wrote about Stalin’s man-made famine in the Ukraine, has recently been turned into a Holywood film.

But few in Wales could tell you much about Abdulrahim Abby Farah, the man from Barry who became a senior United Nations diplomat, leading the 1990 UN Mission that oversaw the dismantling of South Africa’s apartheid state.

Farah was born in October 1919, the year of the Race Riots; only weeks after the murder of Chilean sailor, Jose Martinez, on a neighbouring street to Thompson Street where Farah was raised. His mother, Hilda Anderson, ran a boarding house while his Somali father, Abby Farah, was a sailor and entrepreneur.

The young Farah attended Gladstone Primary School and Barry County Grammar School, while his parents were amongst a group which founded the multiracial Domino’s Club on Thompson Street. Most of the street was later erased in clearances of the Barry Docks area running south of Holton Road, a less famous and less romanticised version of Cardiff’s Tiger Bay. His father was a member of Thompson Street’s Colonial Club Committee and awarded an MBE for his wartime support for international sailors.

https://nation.cymru/opinion/abdulra...SoLJeMN6Je_Nio
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 11th June 2020 at 09:20 PM.

6. Thanks Paul Johnson, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Paul Johnson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith,
    I have just finished my article, thought I would have a quick gander on other posts before my beauty sleep, bugger I am going to need at least a week!
    Another great and informative post, I knew the article you put up would be good, the same name as my son, Ian Johnson, Ha Ha. Best wishes.
    Cheers, Paul.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I was always told:

999 94078654_3722449334494741_45819003171504128_n.jpg

But, take much with a large pinch of salt.

LOL. K.

10. Thanks Paul Johnson thanked for this post
    Likes Paul Johnson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith,
    You realise that with all stories a certain amount of poetic license is accepted, but in the main that is what happened, I may have added an extra egg to the mix Ha Ha. I drink real ale, red wine and G&T, my other half prefers me not to touch rum as she says it makes me 'soppy', but I do love it, soppy or not.
    Cheers, Paul.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Black Lives Matter here is already creating debates that were never at the level they are now.

The First Minister has said that he will look into the possibility of a BAME museum for Wales, and that the Education Minister will look again at including BAME history as a core part of the curriculum.
    Mark Drakeford was responding to questions from Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price regarding whether he would back a BAME museum and the inclusion of BAME history on the national curriculum in Wales.
    He said that he would be “very happy” to look at it but that he wanted it to be a “living museum” not one focused solely on the past.
    “I’ve had the privilege on a number of occasions in recent times of helping award recognition to young people from the black community as part of black history month and the message I try and convey to them in that event is that they are creating their history today,” Mark Drakeford said.
    “The history doesn’t belong to the past. History is something we are all engaging in producing ourselves. and they have agency themselves as hugely valued and talented young black people here in Wales.
    “So I am very happy to look at it but I very much want it to be part of celebrating contemporary Wales, the contribution that black communities make and the way that they shape Wales into the future, as well as looking at their experience of shaping Wales in the past.”
    He went on to say that recent events had “shone a spotlight” on the subject of the teaching of history in Welsh schools.
    The new curriculum developed by the Education Secretary Kirsty Williams currently includes no requirement to teach certain events or specific content.
    “I know my colleague Kirsty Williams will be wanting to work again with those who have been advising us on the new curriculum on the way that it is to be developed and delivered to make sure that we are capturing the lessons of the past few weeks,” Mark Drakeford said.
    “I think this is a matter for every school in Wales, whatever the local makeup of a population might be. It is just as important that children where black communities have been less present to understand that history as it is for young people who are part of that community themselves.”

K.

14. Likes Paul Johnson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My own reply to most of which has been said as regards this post which was originally all about the question mark in the title , is that we are not a Police State here in Australia. And in point of fact I would advocate more police presence on our streets to keep the low life in control. My opinions may not match others , but that is what democracy is all about we all have rights to express our individual views peacefully unlike the bully boys. As public servants I think at times they struggle through lack of manpower , on the whole they do a very good job. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th June 2020 at 01:38 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only comment I would like to make here is how bloody selfish and stupid people are in general. Here in Australia we have got off lightly in this virus pandemic so far, now we have these, and I will call them what they are, clowns, who despite calls for them not to demonstrate at this time; went ahead with it. Slavery has been with us for hundreds of years, they could have waited a few months until the pandemic was declared beaten to march, or are they afraid taking the knee will fade away. But no the idiots had to march and put more people at risk, I think purely by so many just to be seen on TV, look at me ! Look at me! Now they are all on the bandwagon, refugees rights are now going to attempt march on the weekend, that is if the police don't stop them, how about marching for the elderly in nursing homes they are the ones most at risk with this virus if it starts up again.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 12th June 2020 at 01:49 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

why dont all these tree hugers start with all in the house of lords who made money out of slavery including mining the cotton industry in our country years ago we could go into all religeons in this country that were in the slave trade to pull their places of worship down but will it happen NO this is only a one sided argument and the british are in the other history can be told in many ways and remember blacks collected blacks and sold them to slavers so who is at fault the buyer or the sellers we could nit pick for years to come if the tv and press is throwing petrol on the fire it will only get bigger??jp

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast