Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Captive Time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captive Time.

The time in Shanghai in 1976. I was taken ashore to be lectured on kindness. Present of the crew.someone must have asked the crowd why they weren’t appearing at the seamans club and some bright spark had said the mate won’t give us time off . So sitting on the other side of this desk to these two commisars was lectured on being kind to people , receiving a small pocket sized edition of the Thoughts of Mao in English . When all was peacefully over the Chinese whiskey came out and everyone was trying to out Campi each other . I left the two of the them sprawled out snoring, staggering back to the ship , I thanked everyone for a grand day out and please put in a few complaints whenever they felt like it. They were like children in some cases but could be dangerous the way they knew no better.. I can quite see the Hong Kong chinese way of thinking as a lot of them have long memories.
    The Russians were indoctrinated the same way. You can’t change the way people think , people have minds of their own only if allowed to use them. JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th May 2020 at 06:00 AM.
    R575129

2. Likes Don Cook, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18, didn't go to the States after our trips to China, it was Oz and Canada, but in Canada the US Coast Guard and Canadian Coastguard came aboard and ask us to sketch what we remembered of coast and river passages and depths of water in the rivers, on the latter aspect we could only give them our own loaded drafts and other ships that passed us in the river. Quite a few of us were good sketch artists and on following trips tried to memorise outstanding, and not so outstanding features. We never got any thanks, just requests for more information. The Aussies never bothered to ask us anything. I still have some Chinese money left, supposed to hand it in but never bothered as they never gave you back your hard currency you were obliged to exchange, as their logic was you should have spent everything, so if you subbed 10USD or 100 USD and only spent 9USD you could kiss the rest goodbye

4. Thanks Don Cook thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good friend of mine with Commons who spent some time on their ore carriers, was approached at home by a man who gave him a camera and asked if he would take some nice pictures of the scenery on the way in and out, next time he went to Archangel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, your comment about the Chinese ruling the world, rang a bell with me. Between 2004 / 2006 I was involved in a petro chem project in Nanhai Bay.
    To get there I would fly to HK then high speed ferry to Shenzen took about 11/2 hours at about 60 knots(hydrofoil). I made 16 trips during that time and each trip noticed more and more container stacks just carrying on for mile after mile. Then during the 90 mile trip across country, more and more buildings appearing, and that thought occurred to me then, these people are going to take over world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24... It’s in the Bible somewhere Tony, I can remember my mother a good Kirk woman quoting it that the yellow races will rule the earth. Never looked for it so can’t say where it is. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Just fly over to Sydney and you will see that it is already happening, around 1million here, but hey after seeing what is happening in the States, I think I would go for the Chinese.
    As a PS did anyone look closely at the Yank policeman who had his knee on that blokes neck? What was he doing with his hand in his pocket all that time, me thinks he was a sexual deviant.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john24 it shows you dont need a massive army navy air force just infect a few and drop them anywhere in the world i would bet all countries want the make up of this virus to use on others without firing a shot? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Both America and Russia have said they have the worst Smallpox virus locked up in a Lab, a few years ago they were both talking of destroying it, you go first sort of thing, if that was ever done I never heard. They say that the world will go out in a whimper not a bang, we can now see why. We realy can't say who is to blame for these things,EI, China with Covid19 ,America with the Spanish Flue. Britain had the plague.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a post on the MN defence course brought about mainly by the Cuban Crisis. Those who did the course some mentioned ABC warfare and others didn’t. Those who remember will also note that biological warfare was being taught in 1962. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told some time ago that the only Smallpox was locked in a lab in Birmingham.

As to the Chinese taking over, they are well on the way here in Oz, a number of large cattle stations are now owned by them, the younger ones are not interested in farming.
    There has been a call for manufacturing to restart here in Oz, good concept but it will never fly.
    Wages here are so high the cost of goods made here would see them just sit on the shelf.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast