Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The truth about australia`s bush fires

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The truth about australia`s bush fires

There is an old saying Les, Look after the Ocean and the Ocean will look after you. Hope all is well in your world my old shipmate. Terry
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    If we could just stop all these conflicts around the world it would help. All those rockets and other weapons create more infernos and destruction of life and infrastructure, it seems to defeat anything that can be done to reduce the stress on our planet.
    Hi Victoria.
    My wife has been saying that for years, all those bombs going off day in day out must add a lot to the climate.
    Des

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After a month of coughing smoke we got a nice clear day, except it didn't stop the fires or the tragedy, the Water bomber that went down a few miles from Cooma terrible. It left Richmond air base in Sydney with a full load of retardant,the valley outside Cooma is a long one, so a small plane guided it in , the small plane came out , the bomber dropped its load the for some reason did a sharp u turn and exploded, my wife heard the explosion, me being deaf didn't, a sad day for us all.
    Des

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After the Black Saturday fires of some 11 years ago a Royal Commission said all power lines should go underground, to date none have.
    There are many ways of protecting towns from fires such as this, batteries are good to a point but if the fire is bad enough they will explode with the heat.

Two proposals have, to my knowledge, been put to feral govs from Universities over the years regarding the pumping of water from floods to storage places, none got a look in.

The problem here is that both sides spend too much time playing politics rather than coming up with practical solutions.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Captain Cook noted in his log books, he saw bush fires all along the coast as he surveyed the coast, as the first Australians kept the scrub low and containable.
    AS regards access, yes they do have at times to use bolt cutters, but the trouble is, when it is safe to burn, there are some very loud people who stop any clearing in case a couple of spiders or bats get upset.
    The other major problem is that responsibility for fire reduction is split between the States and local government and the Feds have little imput. Best thing would be to scrap State governments and save a motza of cash but is would increase the unemployed by millions. Actually, would possibly be in front after payment of dole.

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    After the Black Saturday fires of some 11 years ago a Royal Commission said all power lines should go underground, to date none have.
    There are many ways of protecting towns from fires such as this, batteries are good to a point but if the fire is bad enough they will explode with the heat.

Two proposals have, to my knowledge, been put to feral govs from Universities over the years regarding the pumping of water from floods to storage places, none got a look in.

The problem here is that both sides spend too much time playing politics rather than coming up with practical solutions.
    Very true John that the batteries can explode due to the heat but for them to get that hot then would mean that the house had burnt down surely. Can not see the point of that argument for not having batteries. Just another excuse for not backing solar power I suppose.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had a huge relief from the smoke, a Westerly arrived sending the smoke from the Numarella fire towards the coast, then a huge fire ball erupted and a big pall of smoke went skywards the only thing we can ascertain is that the firies have lit a back burn that will kill the fire from coming any closer. Just went around the sills and windows with a bucket of hot soapy water, and washed off the soot, this is only from three days, the water was black as coal, no wonder I'm coughing my lungs up, glad I don't smoke.
    I haven't read the posts for a while, but I think Keith was asking about fires in Victoria, her is a picture of Elvis the helicopter fighting the fires inNare Warren North Victoria.
    Cheers Des

Elvis in Victoria.jpg

12. Thanks Captain Kong, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

It is difficult to be on the other side of the planet and know
    all that occurs down under but, friends and rellies in Oz confirm
    much and the following link has been received via them.

Australian bushfires to contribute to huge annual increase in global carbon dioxide.

Atmospheric concentration of major greenhouse gas forecast to hit 417 parts per million in May with bushfires contributing 2% of increase.

Australia’s bushfire crisis is expected to contribute up to 2% of what scientists forecast will be one of the largest annual increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide on record.

Ken Thompson, a former NSW deputy commissioner for fire and rescue, said it should not be a surprise that Australia’s fires were making a mounting contribution to the climate crisis. “Our emissions from bushfires keep going up as a result of our failure to address climate change, creating the conditions for even worse fire seasons to come,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...carbon-dioxide

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 26th January 2020 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    Very true John that the batteries can explode due to the heat but for them to get that hot then would mean that the house had burnt down surely. Can not see the point of that argument for not having batteries. Just another excuse for not backing solar power I suppose.
    Les, like many I have solar on my roof and it is good but the quality of what it produces varies with the seasons.
    Some very large one shave been installed in Adelaide, keep the city going for two hours 8 minutes.

But bush fires will always be there no matter what we do, but following some of the recommendations may reduce the risk.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The story that C02 from these fires will increase the global level is just fake news.

All C02 is heavier than air and the amount in the atmosphere is never more than about 3% of total gasses.
    Methane is also heavier, the biggest contributer to 'global warming' is moisture in the upper atmosphere.

It is another instance of those who wish to cause more division on the subject using any thing they can to proscecute their theory.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 27th January 2020 at 05:30 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Captain Kong, vic mcclymont liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast