Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyne Dry Dock nearly kills me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tyne Dry Dock nearly kills me.

DRY DOCK ON THE TYNE, NEARLY WRECKED ME.

In the 80s I was 2nd Mate on a Tanker and we went into dry dock in Wallsend on the Tyne. We were to be there for Five weeks so I went home on the first Sunday on the train and brought back my car.
    The Company put the officers in the Rex Hotel in Whitley Bay and the Sailors, three Abs and the Cook in a guest house across the road..
    What a fantastic place Whitley Bay was, all the women were predators, they hunted in packs. The Rex Hotel was certainly the place to be, the bar was open until the early hours and they had a disco bar packed with women all on the pull.
    I have changed the names of all the ladies involved, as I do not want to let the story be known in that area..
    First night I copped with a beautiful blue eyed blond, lovely figure and smile. I will call her Jean, I instantly fell in love with her and this lasted for almost a year after, just the distance and going away to sea spoiled it.

Now the Landlady of the Sailors Guest House, I will call her Mary, she was quite scary. .Her husband had run away with the Landlady of a well known pub in North Shields, THE VICTORIA
    Now Jean used to visit me in the Rex Hotel around four nights a week and we would go to my room and she would drink the Brandy and Babycham I had bought, that drink was always known as “Leg Opener”. And it always worked. After our session on the bed, remember this was true love, she would then leave around midnight and go home. She had to be in work early every day, as an Industrial Chemist, High class lady was Jean.
    Then I would go down to the bar and have a much well earned drink.
    This night Scary Mary from the Guest House was sat at the bar weeping and wailing into her gin and tonic. I sat next to her. She told me her husband was with that bitch of a landlady in the VICTORIA in North Shields so she was going to get drunk and then set fire to her Guest House. I said `You cant do that, all my Sailors are in there, `Don’t care` she said `we`ll all go together, give me another Gin.`
    I tried to talk her out of it, I didn’t want to be short handed on deck.
    She then says `Take me to the VICTORIA in Shields and I will sort him out or I burn the Guest House with all your Sailors. I didn’t know what I was letting myself in for.
    I put her in my car and then drove over to North Shields, go round the back says Scary Mary. I drove down the back street until I got to the back gate of the pub.
    `This will do` says Mary, and climbs out of the car and then tries the gate, it is locked from inside. She then jumps up with her hands on top of the wall and heaves herself up and cocks her legs over. She then lowers herself down the back of the back gate and then starts screaming and squawking. She is stuck, `I am stuck on a nail and its gone through my knickers` she wails. She was hanging off the door she couldn’t get back up or get down, the screaming continued. `Shut Up Mary` I shouted at her, `I will get you down`
    I had to jump up the wall heave myself up and then I could see her dangling. Her skirt was pulled up at the front and the six inch nail must have hooked onto her knickers and she was swinging on the elastic. I dropped down alongside of her, I had to put my head under her skirt from behind and between her legs and sit her on my shoulders then I could lift her up. I put my arms round her front and unhooked her knickers from the nail and then lowered her down. `Now keep quiet` I said, `If the Police come we are in the crap.`. I pulled back the bars on the gate and thankfully got out into the back street again. `Get in the car` I said to her as I walked around to the drivers side.
    She then takes off, runs onto some waste ground and picked up an old iron car bumper then runs down the side of the pub.
    Jeez, what in hell is she doing now, I start the car and drive around the corner and as I turned round to the front of the pub, I see her throw the Bumper through the big plate glass window. There was a big crash and all the window came out in pieces,
    I stopped the car opened the door and shouted `Get in the bleeding car yer mad woman. I dragged her in and screeched off 0 to 60 in about a couple of seconds. I shot round the next corner and set a course for Whitley Bay.
    I thought what the hell am I going to say if the Police catch up with me, what am I going to say to the Company if I am locked up instead of being in the dry dock. I was going demented.
    I got to the Rex Hotel parked the car and walked her back to her guest house, it was now 3 am. `Are you feeling better now Mary?` she replies, `No I am still going to burn down the house.` Oh Jeez, all that performance for nothing.
    I took her in, I couldn’t leave her in that state, I took her up to her bedroom and shut the door behind me. I looked at the state of her, her skirt was torn, she takes it off and says `and look at me knickers all torn and ruined.`
    `Get into bed` I says `and I will stay until you are asleep`. I am thinking I have to be up in three hours for a days work and I am knackered.
    `Get in with me `she says, `No `says I , `I have to be up early to get to the dry dock, `
    `Then I am going to burn the house if you leave`.
    What the hell am I getting into I thought, this is madness, I have been to bed once with Jean tonight and now Scary Mary wants me to have another go.
    To save the lives of my Sailors I had to do the supreme sacrifice. I climbed in bed with her. After the deed was done, she was snoring like a pig, I got up and used her shower, I felt almost human after that. So it is now 5.30 am. So I call the Cook down the Hall. `What are you doing here?` says he. I `ll tell you later, Mary is now finished with engines so you had better do the breakfasts for the Lads. I took a tray of tea up to the three Sailors, They had a shock when I walked in with a cup of tea.
    As they were having breakfast I told them of the nights events, and that I, above and beyond the call of duty had saved their lives by keeping her from burning them to death. They had a good laugh at the story.
    I went back to the Rex and got changed and had a coffee. Picked up the lads in my car and went to the dry dock. I was shattered all day what with all the activities and no sleep, I was like a zombie.
    I got back in the evening to the Rex, fortunately, Jean wasn’t coming round tonight, so I thought I would have quiet drink and have an early night.
    Next thing I knew Scary Mary is sat next to me on a bar stool. `The Police were round today` she says. `the VICTORIA was robbed of all its Stock, all the spirits, wines, cigarettes and money from the bandits. They searched the Guest House from top to bottom.
    My heart sank again, `You didn’t tell them I was with you did you?`, No I told them nothing. I was getting really worried now. `Now ` she says, `I am going back to burn down the house`
    Oh No, not again. `If you don’t come back with me. all your Sailors will die`.
    I walked Mary back across the road to the Guest House., `Now Mary, promise me you wont do anything stupid`. She ` No I wont, I`ll just burn the house down that’s all, I have nothing to live for now, are you coming in?`.
    I had to go in with her, my Sailors lives were at stake.
    Up to her room and back in the bed. The things I do for my Sailors, I just hope they appreciate it. I expected to hear `Rule Britannia ` playing as the deed was done.
    She then snuggled down and fell asleep. I crept out of bed and went back to the Hotel. And crashed in my bunk, completely shattered. It was past 2 am and I had to be up in less than four hours.
    The following night Jean was coming back to see me, all I wanted to do was sleep, no chance. These Tyne Ladies are insatiable. I got back from the Dry dock, worn out from climbing up and down tanks all day, testing atmospheres at all levels as they were cutting out corroded bulkheads and welding new steel and attending meetings with various representatives.
    I arrived back and had a shower and a little dinner when Jean arrived and then up the stairs to the bedroom. A couple of `Leg Openers` and in the bed again another shower and took her down stairs to say Good night as she drove home. I went in the bar and Scary Mary was there again waiting. `OH NO`.I cant stand it. Dont tell me Mary, you are about to burn down the House again`. `That’s right` she says, `come on` she grabs my hand and drags me across the road to the House. I was wishing she would hurry up and Burn it Down, I didn’t care about my Sailors anymore. They can look after themselves.
    I struggled, and did my duty, it was now a horrible ordeal that had to be done.
    The next night around 7pm, I staggered down to the bar after returning from the dry dock and had, had a shower and changed.
    I stood by the bar with the crowd and amongst them was a couple of regular ladies who always chatted with us. One was Big Betty, not her real name, she was a Matron for the Police Force and was quite a jolly and fine figure of a woman, big busted and firm all over. I picked up my first pint and started quivering, shaking and twitching, flashing lights before my eyes and all the electrical circuits in my brain were crackling and I was slowly collapsing.
    Big Betty got hold of me and said `Come on to your room and lie down, she half carried me to the lift and then into my room. I collapsed on the bed and she undressed me and covered me up. She lay next to me and we stayed like that all night.
    Next morning I felt a little better, I had had nearly 12 hours sleep,
    Betty said, `You are stupid, you were actually dying last night, and that is why I stayed with you. You are doing too much, slow down or next time you really will die`
    I couldn’t thank her enough...The situation continued for a few more days. Then one day Mary came into the bar and said “Come on over to the House I have something to show you”.
    I said “I have already seen it”.
    She says “No not that!. You will like it”
    I knew I couldn’t have a quiet drink until I had been, “It had better be good “ I said.
    We went upstairs to her room. And then she showed me the local paper,
    Two men had been arrested for the robbery at the VICTORIA pub in North Shields, the Police had got finger prints and identified one and when they went to his house it was full of wines, spirits and cigarettes from the Pub. They had been driving past and saw the window missing from where Mary had thrown the old car fender through and took advantage of it and cleared the place out.
    We are off the hook now, the Police have been watching the House all week, yippee ! lets celebrate, and then she drags me down onto the bed again. An hour later I staggered back to the REX for another well earned drink.
    Another night around 8 pm I saw Big Betty sat in the corner at a table with her husband, they were having an almighty row, shouting and gesticulating at each other.
    He then thumps her in the face, she bounced off the wall and slumped in her chair, he turns and walks out. I waited a few moments to make sure he wasn’t coming back then I went to her. Blood was flowing out of her nose all down her white blouse and her skirt. She was crying, I am a sucker for a weeping woman.
    I put my arm around her shoulders and said, “You cant stay here like that, come to my room and I will clean you up. We went into the lift and up to my room. She had helped me when I was ill and so it was only right that I helped her now.
    I sat her down on the chair and bathed her face with a cold damp cloth, the bleeding was stopping now. I said “You will have to take your blouse off and I will wash it and dry it on the radiator. She takes it off and her white bra is also covered in blood, I said ”Do you want me to wash that as well” “Yes” she says and off comes the bra, wow! What a well developed woman she was. I says, You have a shower while I wash you clothes, you will feel better then“. So she goes in the shower and I dhoby the blouse and bra, hanging them on the hot radiators to dry., I sponged her skirt so she could look presentable.
    She came out of the shower with just the towel round her like a sarong. She thanked me and gave me a kiss. I gave her a hug and soon there was a stirring between us and we were soon in the bed.
    She stayed all night., she was lovely. I had to get up at 6.30 to get ready for the dry dock. I kissed her goodbye and said stay as long as you want, I am off now. Then I left.

This continued for a few more days, with Jean, Mary and Betty all taking advantage of my body, The dry dock job was coming to an end and we had to go and stay on the ship and with more crew members joining get the ship ready for sea.
    We took her out into the Bay and swung her around with the Compass Adjusters did some trials and then went back in again and moored her to a jetty on the River.
    My relief was on board and I handed over and paid off. I got my car and drove back to the Rex for one more night with Jean, I didn’t see Mary or Betty again.
    Then I drove home for one real good rest. I continued to see Jean every time I paid off but it was a long drive up to Sunderland where she lived, after a year it gradually faded away and now she is just a memory. Still always a blue eyed blond and not the old age pensioner she would be now.
    I had lost around 14 pounds in weight while I was there with all the exercise I was getting.
    The ladies were not the dockside bar girls one usually ends up with but well dressed and spoken ladies who had careers, An Industrial Chemist, a Police Matron and a Guest House owner. They all had marital problems, I just hope I helped to take their minds off it for a while, I am a nice guy like that.
    Cheers
    One more thing I forgot, During the time we were at the Rex Hotel one of the Engineers gets himself a very attractive young lady who was a Sales Manager for a wine and spirits wholesaler.
    Now his wife in Southampton decides to surprise her husband and drives up to see him. A long journey and she arrives around 8pm. The girl on reception tells her which room he is in as she wanted to surprise him. She certainly did. He was in bed with his lady friend when she walks in and catches him on the vinegar strokes.
    All hell broke loose then, we could hear the screams down stairs in the bar. She comes down in a terrible state. The Chief Engineer had to take her to another hotel for the night, she couldnt stay there under the same roof. I think divorce proceeding started after that.
    Did you enjoy that one?
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th October 2019 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tyne Dry Dock nearly kills me.

And yet another great Story Capt, as always I enjoyed reading this
    Thanks mate
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria,
    I have always had this effect on ladies, it is a Cross I have had to bear in life,
    I was single at the time, so no wife to be unfaithful to.
    I have always kept very active in the gym and still do my weights every day even tho` I am 84 and 4 months. as I never know when the the situation could happen again.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    That was a hilarious tale!! No wonder you try to keep fit. LOL
    Victoria, Kong is lets say not in favor of all the dark chappies who have made there home around him, If he had kept it in his trousers the population of these chaps wouldn't have been half as large it is he has done more for the population of Bolton than the Flemish Weavers. p.s. Here is his latest conquest
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BP Tankers and times on The Tyne.

I have some true stories of my early experiences on the Tyne, arriving for drydock and leaving. How do I post a Thread and add an attachment?

Hi Spencer,
    just click on Forums on the top right, and choose a new forum, such as,,,,,"Swinging the Lamp," ,,
    type in the title and then just write the story,
    To add an attachment click on "GO ADVANCED at the bottom right , next to Post reply, and then do it from there.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th October 2019 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry the amount injuries capt has had I think they based the film Bionic on Brian. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lewis View Post
    BP Tankers and times on The Tyne.

I have some true stories of my early experiences on the Tyne, arriving for drydock and leaving. How do I post a Thread and add an attachment?
    Hello Spencer
    Go to the following Link it will help you Cheers https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...ing-this-site/
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up with a Hernia after loading stores on the British Hawthorn prior to the maiden voyage.

But like Brian there were occasions when I was taken advantage of by ladies.
    I recall one in Durban in the Criterion hotel who sent the barman over to me to ask if I would be prepared to go to bed with her.
    My mother told me never to refuse the requests of a lady.
    So I conceded to her request, problem was she was no lady, rather one of the local girls who thought she was. Had been damaged in a car accident which left her with one much higher than the other. Maybe that is why she had to do requests.
    No wonder I got a bloody hernia after all the requests I had to deal with.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 19th October 2019 at 05:19 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have great memories of the River Tyne, North and South Shields and Whitley Bay where i grew up before going to sea in '61 with Common Bros.
    Days when ships lay three abreast outside the yards. If you havn't seen it have a look at this tribute to the tyne with Jimmy Nail and Mark Knopfler Big River. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AET5qcTDQeE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roy, yes great places.
    Spent much of my younger days in Sunderland and Newcastle, all the family came from there before moving to London.
    Grandfather was a ships engineer in WW1, his father a riveter in Sunderland docks and his father as a chain maker also in the Sunderland docks.
    Had some wonderful summer holidays in that part of the world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, dave moore, j.sabourn liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast