Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Can anyone provide some detail of the duties of a Deck boy and a Junior Ordinary Seaman ,my father was a Deck boy on the Empress of Scotland and then JOS on the oil tanker Teakwood in 1947-1948 what would there daily routine have been like ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Although my time at sea was some 10 years later, i was a deck boy and JOS eventually an AB. As a deck boy he would more than likely started as a *peggy*, which was basically looking after the seamans messroom, he would be getting all the food into the messroom, cleaning the messroom and pantry, scrubbing the alleyways and toilets. If he was lucky he would have alternated with another deck boy, or a JOS, and had some time on deck, working directly under the bosun, washing paintwork (soogying) as it was known. After 9 months seatime, he would have progressed to Junior ordinary seaman, probably on a watch with 2 ABs, steering the ship at sea, being on lookout at night, and working on deck during the day, maintaining gear, chipping rust etc. Deck boy was very much the lowest rank on deck, his list of duties could be also washing dishes, quite a long working day, and with a decent bosun would have a couple of hours overtime each day. Was not a bad life for a young boy, and you grew up very quickly, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Keith, very informative reply good to have some real info on what my father would have done .

4. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peter.
    If like me in 49 he would have been wide eyed when going ashore in foreign ports, especially in the USA where food was plentiful, and gear IE clothing was something to behold, albeit that he wouldn't have been able to afford either on his 7 pounds a month wage, less a probable 2 pound of which he would have left as an allotment to his Mum. But the adventure would always overcome any shortage of cash.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Peter. The only thing I would say is if they where his only two ships he would have found life aboard for him was very different, The Empress of Scotland and the oil Tanker Teakwood, Where miles apart as Merchant shipping goes but one thing is for shore on both ships he would have had a bucket of soogie and a soogie wad, welded to his hand washing down paint work, bulkheads, Deck heads, ETC..... as the old saying went if it moves grease it and if it didn't paint it. But if I am not mistaken he would have took his steering ticket which meant 12 hours at the Helm not all at once the skipper or mate would have staggered his hours depending on where the ship was steaming this was usually deep sea well away from major shipping lanes or port entrances. That was your first big success I suppose getting you steering ticket and your sea legs. Many other little jobs I could name I undertook as a young Deck Boy and J,O,S, But I bet if you could ask him he would do it all again Regards Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 12th February 2019 at 09:56 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first couple of trips deep sea with Indian crew and the deck boy edging room boy catering boy was called the topaz he was the lowest of the low the only problem was that for the type as many of them were into their 50s and 60s
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Teakwood would have probably been one of Jacobs tankers , long time before my time there. Was having a look in Ian Malcolm’s shipping companies losses. But don’t know it’s listed. As at moment can’t see . Was probably built after the war. JS
    Had a look in another book and shows the teakwood as a general cargo vessel of 9092 gross and 1962 1970 renamed MV. Kincaid. Owners Sir J. Laing. 1970 Alikrator Armenistis Shipping Co. Piraeus ( also P.Wigham. Richardson & Co.Ltd. London) 1976 Medcape Panama flag. 1984 Lion Shipping co. Ltd. Mal flag.
    Sold Taiwan breakers Arr. Kaoshiung 29.6.84. Sowas originally Jacobs but according to British Tramps wasa cargo vessel. Cheers JS....

Then again if you just google tanker Teakwood it gives out she was. Attacked and damaged by a German uboat on the. 21 sept. 1939.
    To even find out which Teakwood will be a job in itself. Probably the poster already knows. ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2019 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    hi Peter. That was your first big success I suppose getting you steering ticket and your sea legs. Many other little jobs I could name I undertook as a young Deck Boy and J,O,S, But I bet if you could ask him he would do it all again Regards Terry.
    Got my steering ticket when 3/E on one ship, following afternoon 12-4 I would shower in 2nd mates cabin up midships then go up and do some time, all to avoid having drink shoved down my neck by a C/E who almost lived on rum. I used to drop the log books off after watch and he would push drink on me and I would have it at first to be sociable, then it got too much so I started leaving them in the alleyway outside his door and go into my cabin next door; however as soon as he realised I was in the shower he would be in and sitting there with drinks when I emerged from my shower. Good job I was on good terms with 2nd mate.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2019 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can’t ever remember getting one. Just 4 hours a day for month after month. No automatic steering for the first 2 years. Think we got the same time as Radar. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2019 at 12:39 PM.

11. Likes Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so robpage why didn't you say to peter I don't know what duties a deck boy has but no you had to stick your oar in and talk dog dirt.Who gives a damn what Indians do on british ships.

Added
    Mr Goode this kind of reply will not be tolerated on this site,so please in future watch what your comments are
    Thank You
    Doc Vernon (Admin Asst Senior Moderator)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2019 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast