Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

The Topaz for the Untouchable was even in his 50s and 60s the catering boy or the engine room boy or the deck boy we never saw under 18s but we had a boy who was at that time older than my Father and it was down to the caste system the Topaz was in each department the one who cleaned the toilets and the mess and the alleyway and everything else for that department when I sailed on shipping Federation Cruise on tramps the boy rating did exactly the same job as the Topaz on the Indian cruise ship the difference being that the boy rating was an under 18 and poorly paid and the Topaz was most definitely in over 18 and even more poorly paid I believe in the 1960s that the Topaz has overtime would less than 1 and 6 an hour .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our member obviously does not understand the sense of humor of RLT and a few others.

We have all at time sailed with crews from other nations, on cruise ships of today it is not uncommon to find a number from Goa along with many other nationalities.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AYE, AYE, Happy John, Don't be landing this load on my shoulders as the Indian hatch boss in Bombay, Once said to me and two of my mates who where having a laugh with him...…………………………... Very, Very, Funny persons you three are a pair of bloody cases.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ashworth View Post
    Can anyone provide some detail of the duties of a Deck boy and a Junior Ordinary Seaman ,my father was a Deck boy on the Empress of Scotland and then JOS on the oil tanker Teakwood in 1947-1948 what would there daily routine have been like ?
    Peter,I suggest you read my article entitled 'My fist trip' it will give you an idea of the duties and trials of a Deck boy at about that time.

Added

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/n...5427-trip.html
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th February 2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: lINK ADDED

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=kenneth goode;327536]Hey cappy get my facts right idont need to get my facts right you are spiting rivets all over the place and missing the hole
    the man was asking about deck boy duties instead of saying I don't know Rob comes away with a load of nonsense about Indians
    .[/QUO#####no one here spitting rivets except yourself ......give us your discharge book number if you had one .....you have been asked to provide it but no answer.......as for spitting rivets ......i would think with your attitude you were not at sea long before you were spitting teeth lol cappy

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The lascars: Britain's colonial sailors

https://www.ourmigrationstory.org.uk...al-era-sailors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good informative string here as I've learned something today. Have not previously heard of a Steering Ticket. From 1948 Deck Boy to later QM the only tickets held were EDH and Lifeboat though spent as many hours at the wheel as any other. Clearly missed another piece of paper in my distant past.

Ken T
    R412277

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can remember my very first trip to sea, 1958, crossing the Atlantic to Newfoundland, going up to the bridge in the evening to get some steering in for said ticket, unpaid of course, most of the ABs were saying for me to do it in there trick at the wheel, although they still had to stand there for the 2 hours to monitor me. so it sounds like it might have been a thing that all had to do. thinking back now to the hours steering in the early days for me, no iron mike. Do you all remember the first time you took the wheel to bring her alongside, i think i was a JOS, but maybe it was a SOS, felt ten foot tall, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John T Morgan View Post
    Peter,I suggest you read my article entitled 'My fist trip' it will give you an idea of the duties and trials of a Deck boy at about that time.

Added

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/n...5427-trip.html
    Read your article John ,great read this is just the sort of reason why he joined and experience I imagine my dad had when he went in the merchant navy ,he must have seen and experienced things that my generation will never see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26... The summary on lascar crews may appear as a romantic time of the shipping industry and played up as so, on at least one ship I was on was no better than slavery. Today. They are still being used to help build the profits of the mercantile investor. We get all this rubbish about Nelson having investments in slaves. Today you have worse you have cheap labour which is paid a mininum wage only when it is producing , when not working or sick it is discarded . At least with a slave owner it was to his own benefit to look after his slaves in sickness and in health. People get used due to their circumstances in life. These preachers in our forefathers being slave owners and evil, should start directing their barbs to their more modern counterparts . It is world wide and has various names apart from slave owners. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th February 2019 at 11:26 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast