Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

rudeness and venom cannot wipe history , a lot of British Ships were manned by Asian Crews
    But I was beginning to wonder we haven't had angry personal attacks for some time last time was shortly before the departure of our friend Benji from the other coast of Scotland so let me say why don't you pop up your credentials like your ships list and your discharge book number shall we know what you're seagoing experiences and how you have such a wealth of knowledge Benji was always reluctant to tell us what is just joined number was and what ships had been on are you tarred with the same brush

Personal remarks are never necessary I think that this has been a very brilliant community for the last couple of months we've avoided the politics we've avoided some of the obvious arguments and the whole site of been getting along talking about marine things for some time let's hope it's not about to be spoilt
    Last edited by robpage; 12th February 2019 at 05:58 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##there are thousands of indian and asian seamen on the MN memorial in london .....ithink you will find rob has a good knowledge of indian and asian crews in some shipping companies he sailed in........get your facts right......many were down below and on deck during the war ......capppy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Bangladeshi or what was then East Pakistani Pakistani Indian and Chinese man many a British ship and those that I first started selling on had the word clan painted across the back and Glasgow has a home Port
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rudeness and venom for telling the truth I don't think so.I have sailed with Chinese when I was with Ben Line as a jos sos edh so I do know some history.certainly not trying to wipe it out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can i add to the original posters enquiry, that in your fathers time 1947-8, most of his fellow crew would have been war time served, many would have had a close shave in convoys, perhaps even torpedoed, they would have been pretty tough guys. It would have been an exciting time for him, with plenty of ships to serve on. Sadly all gone, and never really will return, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr Goode your # 10 - direct attacks on members is totally against site rules - I would thank you to remain courteous towards all members - that kind of behaviour is not tolerated here.
    Mr Goode I have messaged you.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey cappy get my facts right idont need to get my facts right you are spiting rivets all over the place and missing the hole
    the man was asking about deck boy duties instead of saying I don't know Rob comes away with a load of nonsense about Indians

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Indian ranks that covers what we would call on ships supplied by British shipping federation Crews a boy rating existed with a writing called the topaz who tended to be the man who carried out all the duties that would have been carried out buy a deck boy or a catering boy or an engine room boy the difference is that the Topaz was probably a different caste and was not age-related although the duties were almost identical .

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks JS ,yes the official number of Teakwood is 149878 and is the one damaged by the u boat in 1939 ,scrapped in 1955 .

12. Thanks j.sabourn, Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18.. Rob I worked for an Indian company but never really followed up on how they started at sea. To me there was the Serang ,Tindal, Cassab, kalassi 1, kalassi 2, winch wallah, Secunnys, and as you say the topaz, usually an old untouchable who no one ever seemed to talk to or worry about. In catering you had. The Bhandarrys , stewards , and chief steward . Firemen in the engine room were usually numbered the same as the kalassis. I can’t remember ever seeing any boy ratings with an Indian crew. So how they started I wouldn’t know. If there had been on British articles they would have appeared as under 18s. And appeared in the young persons section. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2019 at 11:38 PM.

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast