Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    (1) Australian scientists take 6 degrees of global warming off the table, say it is closer to 2 degrees

(2) published in Nature Climate Change today, found that exceeding 6 degrees warming was now unlikely while exceeding 2 degrees is very likely for business-as-usual emissions.
    (1) So there we have it, an example of misinformation, but which they were convinced was correct at the time and on which no doubt many governments based their decisions for imposing various green taxes.

(2) Sounds like a great read for the blind leading the blind

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There may be a little luck running our way and the drought could be over, it is in most of out back Queensland. On Friday we had a massive downpour so much so that two of the main roads into Cooma were closed, Cooma creek, a misnomer it stretches for god knows how many miles became a raging river. The smoke for the first time in months has dissapeared, probably in Argentina. Kids of three who have never seen rain are dancing on their properties. Climate change has been forgotten.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Des
    For the time being things are looking good here too,lots of good Rian except we need a lot more to get the Dams up to scratch here,Warragamba is still very low.
    There was a short item on the News on a very young Lad of some 18 months ,he had never seen or experienced Rain, Oh how cute it was seeing this young Lad running around for the very first time in the rain,he looked so happy it was beautiful,brought a lump into my throat!

But we must not let this deter us from saving Water now ,as this could be just a flash in the pan,lets hope not.
    We will for sure still get a lot more dry Periods so as i dont have a Water Tank here in Blackheath (Did in Penrith ) i have Yesterday and Today fiixed up two Wheelie Bins one a 120 Lire and the other a 240 Litre to catch Water of the back decking Roof and also off the Main Roof at the Rear.
    It was cheap enough and easy to fit.
    Total cost with Taps Piping etc was $ 250 so no complaints LOL
    cHEERS
    At least on dry periods we will have Water for the Plants and Irene is thrilled with that idea!
    I have also fitted a small piece of hose to each so as one can drain into a Bucket!

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting bits there from all.

Dr. Bodman of Victoria University is one I know, worked there for 14 years.
    At the time of the food crisis in Ethiopia way back in the early 90's he made a comment. 'The west only pays lip service to this matter, if we feed them well enough they become physically strong, then politically strong, so only give them small rations'.

In 2009 the chief scientist of the CSRIO here retired and wrote a long article in the paper. As he said all the work was computer generated to show the worst possible scenarios, one that if it eventuated would destroy the world, but that was the figures the gov of the day wanted.

David A has come out and said that Oz should stop mining coal, fine but China and India will not stop burning it, just buy elsewhere.

Terry RLT, you and I have different views on this, nothing wrong in that, I will defend you right to have them.
    But a couple of questions, do you know what the climate of UK is now and what will it change to

Rising water levels, where?
    Water will find its own level where ever it rises.
    I have photos of Port Melbourne Station pier from the 1800's, the 1950's when the migrant ships came and more recent ones.
    We go there about twice a month and from photos and personal observation the tide mark on the pier has not changed.

About 15 years or so ago the bay was dredged and the heads deepened.
    A group calling themselves the 'Blue water savers' managed to get a petition of over 10,000 all who thought that by dredging the bay more water would be allowed in and Melbourne would be flooded. As we know nothing of the sort occurred, but mass hysteria made those people sign that petition.

Vernon, what you need is a 2500 liter water tank coming off the gutter, I have three, saves me a lot of cost and trouble when in drought.
    Put one on every suburban house linked to the dunny and see how much water we could save for farmers to use.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    There was a short item on the News on a very young Lad of some 18 months ,he had never seen or experienced Rain, Oh how cute it was seeing this young Lad running around for the very first time in the rain,he looked so happy it was beautiful,brought a lump into my throat!

VIA: ABC Midwest and Wheatbelt

NZTOT.jpg

That's the happy face of a toddler enjoying rain for the first time ����️

This is 14-month-old Lacey playing in a puddle at her family's property at Mallawa Station, 90km west of Moranbah.

Mum Emma said they ended up with 12mm a couple of days ago and another 9mm on Monday, resulting in this happy snap.

"I couldn’t stop taking photos. She absolutely loved it. It was refreshing for me too just to watch her have so much fun in it," she said.

"Just hope this rain can pour down for everyone soon. "

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Interesting bits there from all.

Dr. Bodman of Victoria University is one I know, worked there for 14 years.
    At the time of the food crisis in Ethiopia way back in the early 90's he made a comment. 'The west only pays lip service to this matter, if we feed them well enough they become physically strong, then politically strong, so only give them small rations'.

It was the 80's John, I spent 4 years on AID work in Ethiopia (and others over nearly a decade) so I'll comment on his comments later. Did he ever go to Ethiopia or any other Aid recipient.

I'm busy just now, but just getting my MN fix

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further my 596, which had already appeared in the 8000+ posts that disappeared into the ether! I worked in many countries on Aid commodities, both when I was working as a project director for a company and again later for my own company, countries included, but not limited to, Ethiopia, Sudan, Sierra Leonne, Guinea Bissau, Chad, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, also the Indian Sub Continent and South America. Most countries required Aid because of natural disasters, weather of one description or another, govt mismanagement and corruption, the latter two being prevalent contributors in Africa.

Most people have a misconception about Aid, believing food/grains were the main factors of gifts from benefactor countries, where-as quite the opposite was true, Aid provided by the EEC (incl UK) and the USA PL480 Program was mostly fertiliser, drought resisting and quick growing seeds and basic non motorised farming equipment. The EEC/USA would not supply any motorised equipment that could be converted into military equipment, such as tractors, tipper trucks, or truck chassis etc.

Ethiopia and North Sudan had been doing well in the late 70's and early 80's in getting its agricultural and farm stock on the road to recovery, the land was once again becoming fertile despite General Mengiscues's efforts to run the country as a communist model (too long to go into, he never learnt from Russia and China's grain man made disasters of 50's and 60's). Ethiopia used to be one of Africa's big exporter of cattle during Haile Selasse's regime.

Then came along a well meaning misguided failed pop singer who decided it would be a good idea to send shiploads of food to Ethiopia, for which some misguided person gave him an honorary knighthood, and despite his actions putting the Aid Program back years. Ethiopia decided that the world's eyes were upon it, and increased the port charges for vessels and discharging rates for their cargoes,(knowing that the West would not sending Aid) all these very substantial increases had to come from the Aid budgets, which consequently left fewer funds for products and equipment. Ethiopia now decided that it would prefer food Aid in the form of wheat/corn/sorgum etc rather than fertiliser, this again reduced the Aid money available as these more expensive commodities came from further afield with a subsequent increase in freight rates because of longer ocean passages. These increased revenues for the Ethiopian Govt were used to buy arms and military equipment from Russia and their European satellites who were not then in the EEC. I had many an argument with Govt/Port Authorities about Arms carrying vessels getting berthing priority over Aid vessels, but is very difficult to argue with an AK47 stuck in your face.

I worked closely with the USA on their PL480 Aid Program doing reports for them. Food Aid was not a priority as such, although sent in large quantities, but commodities (fertilisers etc) and equipment were a priority to make them self sufficient and NOT become dependent upon other countries.

So John with my last paragraph I do believe your professor was wrong in his statement
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 18th January 2020 at 03:10 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Think now that I prayed to hard for rain for friends and rellies in Oz;

Reading that apparently, life-threatening storms have battered through Queensland and NSW, causing chaos on the roads and dangerous flash-flooding. Thousands of residents on New South Wales' south coast are suffering power cuts, with the worst of the dangerous storms yet to come. Residents have even taken to escaping via boat and floating down the street, after a month's worth of rainfall fell overnight - more than 300mm in some areas. The Gold Coast in particular has suffered flooding.

K.

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kieth Massive amounts of water flowing in the Gold Coast in Queensland if only it was in the outback bush areas. all that rain will; within a few days be in the sea, absolutely lost. Previous and present Govt's of all persuasions in Australia have failed the people in not putting diversions for these storms into dams, and building pipe lines to the bush. If Qaddafi could do it in a backward country like Libya why oh why can't a so called modern country like Australia with all it's $Billions from coal and Iron ore do it here. most short sighted people will say oh well this will do for now. I'm afraid if nothing is done about it in the near future Australia will be importing wheat and meat in the long term.
    The result at present in N.S.W. is a third of our National Parks are burnt out, 80% of the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area has been affected, along with more than half the Gondwana Rain-forest's, 34% of the National Parks Estate. We still have a large number of tropps stationed in Cooma as well as a large number of Bush Brigades, as Cooma is central to all the fires.
    Des

13. Thanks N/A, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Certainly all comes over to me as not usual, although an erratic history weather wise,
    if not climate change, something is occurring, certainly needs some, thought, action and
    hope for the future ?

Although, something I read recently via the media: in years to come refugees from Oz could
    be seeking new lives elsewhere in the world.

I would at least be concerned and try to safeguard the future.

K.

15. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast