Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change

These are the things that would be a good start, we in UK are no better than others. What a disgrace to attempt to farm our crap out to poorer countries, kt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51176312
    R689823

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    These are the things that would be a good start, we in UK are no better than others. What a disgrace to attempt to farm our crap out to poorer countries, kt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51176312
    Well Keith, someone must have wanted it, you can't just export something without a consignee, whether or not the exporter and/or consignee acted illegally is another matter.

News today states that the UK's carbon footprint is 1.7% of the worlds total, USA's 15%, China 17%, India 12%, rest of the EU excluding UK 14%, so I would say that we do not have too much to be ashamed of, in fact we are being taking for a ride by our various authorities, nationally and locally, with the application of green taxes/carbon taxes/congestion charges etc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Well Keith, someone must have wanted it, you can't just export something without a consignee, whether or not the exporter and/or consignee acted illegally is another matter.

News today states that the UK's carbon footprint is 1.7% of the worlds total, USA's 15%, China 17%, India 12%, rest of the EU excluding UK 14%, so I would say that we do not have too much to be ashamed of, in fact we are being taking for a ride by our various authorities, nationally and locally, with the application of green taxes/carbon taxes/congestion charges etc

Right on there mate, our emissions here in Oz represent some 1.2% of global emissions. Even if we went to zero it would make no difference.
    But yesterday the first minister of NZ said he was fed up with the new ,religion, as he calls it.
    There is a call in NZ for meat consumption to be cut by over 50%b to save the world.
    As he put it,
    'We were raised on meat and I am not going to carry on like a chook on corn and cabbage leaves."

As to plastic waste, we used to send ours to China, but then they said no so we just stockpile it now.

Then there is Elon Musk of Tesla who wants to build a new car manufacturing plant in Germany to produce electric vehicles.
    One slight problem, he wants to remove numerous acreage of forest to achieve this. e is up against some very strong resistance on this one.
    But it puts much of it into perspective, create new systems at the expense of the local environment.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 22nd January 2020 at 05:43 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its not a point of global emissions i was making, but one of feeding our rubbish on to poorer countries, wether they want it or not, plastic pollution is a real problem. I remember a few years ago a tug with half a dozen barges full of rubbish towing round the world and no one accepting it, not sure how the story ended.The wealthy countries shedding their responsibility is going on all the time, we decry the poorer nation clearing the forests to grow more palm oil, and the EU recently granted the petrol producers to add more palm oil to their petrol to lower pollution !!!, we are also considering adding more palm oil to our petrol so we can have a cleaner atmosphere . Its a selfish world we live in, pull the ladder up Jack, i,m on board, kt
    R689823

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Palm Oil plantations create more global pollution , warming , or climate change than or what ever they call it.than anything else.
    They cut down the Rain Forests , which absorb carbons and produce Oxygen just to grow that palm olil trees which do not do what the rain Forests do.

I wrote about it many many years ago in my story about the Spice Islands...…………

………………………....……The rain forests have all but gone now, they have been cut down and burned to grow palm oil trees for bio fuels. This has killed off most of the wildlife including the `wild man of Borneo`, the Orang Utang, and the Dayaks displaced and their way of life destroyed. This can never ever be replaced, it has gone forever. All in the pursuit of profits and these mad people who think growing bio fuels will save the world when they are the very people who are destroying it

Since the 1970s, the Dayak have been baffled by the existence of mining projects, logging by forest concessionaires, plantations and industrial timber estates. Socio-economic expert Mubyarto said the presence of the giant projects in Kalimantan and Sabah changed the Dayaks source of wealth.
    The rattan monopoly has impoverished the Dayak in East and Central Kalimantan. The gold mining in Ampalit (Central Kalimantan), coal mining in East Kalimantan and gold mining in Monterado (West Kalimantan) have caused the locals to suffer. The same thing has happened to the Dayak Bentian, Dayak Pawan-Keriau and Empurang. They struggle against the plantations, which are partly financed with foreign loans. They are forced to give their land to the investors. After the land transfer, all the plants, all the sacred places and cemeteries were demolished and replaced by palm oil trees. They are forced to pay the investors for the privilege of living on their own land in instalments.
    The project ruins the environment, as well as the social, cultural and political patterns. They have marginalized the sovereignty and dignity of the Dayak over the Land and natural resources. …………..

When will they ever learn

Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 22nd January 2020 at 09:47 AM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post

There is a bigger producer of Co2 and there is not a damn thing that mam can about it.
    Yes, I saw the news where each countries production of Co2 was shown as a percentage, but, again the biggest producer was not listed.
    Earth Co2 is about 410 parts per million, of which man is responsible for 130ppm.
    The planet we live on, our Earth, through natural decay produces 280ppm of Co2 and there is not a damn thing we can do about it.
    Food for thought.
    Vic

11. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

saw the program last night on TV, Chris Packham, basically saying there's too many of us on earth, we are all living too long, and population rising by millions all over the world, all fornicating furiously, and producing more kids etc, we are all doomed i say, all doomed, lol. Good excuse to tax us left right and centre, population explosion is down now to the younger ones, we cannot be blamed for that now, licence leg-overs for the youngsters, one per month maybe !!! ,kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    saw the program last night on TV, Chris Packham, basically saying there's too many of us on earth, we are all living too long, and population rising by millions all over the world, all fornicating furiously, and producing more kids etc,
    Just come back from a Probus meeting and the talk was titled 'This Wonderful World' turned out to be a lecture on much the same lines as those mentioned above, I did ask him why he'd turned up in a large diesel powered car and was he going to be the first in the meeting to volunteer to leave this earth. But like most of those who preach about things they don't see themselves as part of the problem, David Attenbrough and his camera crew and crew entourage probably have the largest carbon footprint of any group of any group and certainly larger and certainly larger than most on here. And has for Prince Charles turning up at Davos in an electric car, how gullible do they think we are and yet they preach to us.

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The following three paragraphs are excerpts from a few of the many articles regarding plastic waste in the worlds oceans. To see the complete articles and many others just type in: floating plastic in the ocean.

"The Great Pacific garbage patch, also described as the Pacific trash vortex, is a gyre of marine debris particles in the north central Pacific Ocean. It is located roughly from 135°W to 155°W and 35°N to 42°N. The collection of plastic and floating trash originates from the Pacific Rim, including countries in Asia, North America, and South America. The patch is actually "two enormous masses of ever-growing garbage". What has been referred to as the "Eastern Garbage Patch" lies between Hawaii and California, while the "Western Garbage Patch" extends eastward from Japan to the Hawaiian Islands. An ocean current about 6,000 miles long, referred to as the Subtropical Convergence Zone, connects the two patches, which extend over an indeterminate area of widely varying range, depending on the degree of plastic concentration used to define the affected area. The vortex is characterized by exceptionally high relative pelagic concentrations of plastic, chemical sludge, wood pulp, and other debris trapped by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre"

"Based on our model results, we estimate that at least 5.25 trillion plastic particles weighing 268,940 tons are currently floating at sea (Table 1). There was a good correspondence between the model prediction and measured data for particle count and weight (Figs. S1 and S2, Table S4). Our estimates suggest that the two Northern Hemisphere ocean regions contain 55.6% of particles and 56.8% of plastic mass compared to the Southern Hemisphere, with the North Pacific containing 37.9% and 35.8% by particle count and mass, respectively. In the Southern Hemisphere the Indian Ocean appears to have a greater particle count and weight than the South Atlantic and South Pacific oceans combined."

"Volume of seaborne plastic waste: 10% of the 100 million tonnes of plastic produced every year worldwide end up in the sea either as it falls off of ships and platforms or gets blow from land.[1] They estimate the plastic gyre in the Pacific Ocean to be close to the size of two Texas’s combined. While there are some large pieces, most of it has been battered by waves, breaking it down into small pea-sized (eatable) pieces". (By fish life not humans. R.M.).

I remember my first trips, late 1950s, through the Medi then via the Canal to the Red Sea. I would sit on deck and watch pods of dolphins as far as the horizon in all directions, jumping and playing, huge manta rays, floating past and some times leaping out the water... dolphins jumping the bow wave...it was magic.

In 1977, I was responsible for the hotel side of the operations of the Italia liners Michelangelo and Raffaello, at the time the worlds fourth largest passenger ships, I turned down the management of the deck and ship maintenance (I had more sense than to take that responsibility on). Italia line took care of the navigation from Genoa to Busheir and Bandar Abbis in Iran. Once there they became hotels for the Imperial Iranian Navy and I was managing director of the company operating them.

That said, I retraced my voyage thru the Medi,. the Canal and into the Red Sea. Not a dolphin, manta ray or any of the sea life or sea birds that has enraptured me earlier, strong evidence of not even small sea life to eat. But what there was was plastics a plenty, you couldn't miss them. disgusting.

I repeat, just enter "floating plastic in the oceans". and admire how the oceans we so enjoyed have become.

Please don't tell me about the cruises you take and don't see plastics bobbing. Cruise Lines are not daft, they ain't going to try and sail through miles of waste in the Pacific vortex and the Caribbean floating dump, each getting even larger each year, especially when they are a contributor.

In closing, in the eighties and nineties, I scuba dived in six locations in the Medi. and Adriatic; Greece, Yogo, and Turkey. The waters, other than black spikey urchins, was devoid of sea life, the only other things to look at where the sunken plastic trash.

Please read the threads on the sites I've mentioned.

Regards, Rodney.

P.S.. The Seamans prayer, edited,

"...and seek His wonders of the deep..."Yeah! Been there, done that."
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 22nd January 2020 at 04:37 PM.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    British aid money will no longer be spent on exploiting coal abroad, Boris Johnson will apparently, announce today in a bid to shore up his green credentials.

The Prime Minister will ban the use of UK funding to pay for mining or burning coal in developing nations. The move comes after persistent claims Britain is "outsourcing" climate emissions by reducing its own levels of CO2 while importing goods from abroad which produce high emissions in other countries.

The Prime Minister did follow through and announced that UK taxpayers money will no longer be invested in digging up coal or burning it for electricity overseas.

The announcement came at the UK-Africa Investment Summit, where the PM pledged to put the UKs expertise to help Africa transition away from fossil fuels, and towards renewables. This is great news, not only for helping the UK to be net carbon neutral by 2050, but also to reduce carbon emissions worldwide.

K.

18. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 LastLast