Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change

Somewhere in my photos is one I took back in 1998 early March.
    It shows a coffee tin lid on then pavers with an egg frying in it the temp was so high.

But last month here in Victoria was the coldest on record, since the began about 1835.

Most of the complaints about high emission levels is aimed at China and India for continuing to burn coal.
    But there is very little mention of Indonesia which is 82% powered by coal, oil and gas.
    It is estimated that by 2030 they will be the worlds 4th largest economy with India 3, USA 2 and China 1.

Looking back through some records shows that in 2017 here in Victoria we had 124 consecutive days over 20, but the highest was only 37 on 3 days.
    Most were in the mid to high 20.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 18th December 2019 at 05:45 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I think everyone is entitled to their own views on climate change. Mine are.all the controversy was started by a failed presidential candidate for the presidency of the United States. He must have thought he wanted something to do ,and what better than climate change *controversy to keep his name and image in the public arena. The people who have picked up on his lead are not the best of the scientific brains going, .myself personally put. Them as followers of Hagerty Murphy who was the leader of that famous band. Of years ago. *JWS

Begin forwarded*

Subject:Greta T

Very interesting! I must admit I did have a lot of questions about this teenager who had the audacity to reprimand others!!! - rather hypocritical of her! Every Canadian should receive this email!*

"Having stumbled across an interview with Greta Thunberg’s captain of the sailing vessel that brought her across to New York, I was very surprised at what he said.* He was flying back to Europe from New York and 3 others were flying from Europe to New York to sail the vessel back.* So that is four flights to save her one flight.* Obviously a PR stunt.* But it got me curious as to who the heck was paying for these flights?* This is a quick synopsis of what I found out.

1. She is backed by a number of Swedish/Swiss venture/vulture capital funds focused to investing in green technologies which are struggling to find companies to invest in.* Most of these companies require initial government funding.* The funds are owned by executives from* a Swiss/Swedish industrial corporation with annual revenues of 27 billion dollars. You see their offices around Calgary as they are suppliers to the oilfield service industry as well as many others. Clearly this is a ploy to get government grants/ funding for these entities so that the venture capital funds can then invest and make a bunch of money.

2. She was chosen from a number of young Swedish girls to represent their interests, trained and given information to start espousing because of course she has no scientific expertise herself.* They wanted a female child as their symbol. She was the perfect spokesperson.

3. A powerhouse marketing firm out of Germany was hired to design and implement a marketing strategy for her to gain worldwide attention. They did and it worked. She gained worldwide attention and addressed the UN. The 500 scientists, from around the world, who sent a letter to the UN did not gain an audience.

4. She slammed my generation and generations previously. We stole her childhood.* A script written for her by the German marketing firm.* Her childhood is like it is because of the sacrifice of a previous generation, many of whom* lie buried in fields in Europe.

5. She then gets used again by Canadian political leaders for photo op’s.* Shame on our political leaders. The fact that she got face to face time with Trudeau should be abhorrent to Canadians.

6. She leads a school protest march in Canada, where again photo op greedy politicians, take part.* Her ability to protest rests solely with the sacrifice of other generations, including Edith Cavell, whom she chastises.* If you don’t know who Edith Cavell is - then shame on what a lark our Canadian school system has become.

This is what I found out.* If anyone finds facts disputing this I am all ears."

I might add, I am not against the concept of cleaning up the atmosphere: I am against the marketing methods used to promote industrial interests and lies for the sake of profit

Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that John, always wondered who was behind her and for a teenager she came across as to off pat.
    Vic

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The world seems to be slowly seeing how much damage has been done.

Hopefully, it will not be to late to reverse much.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stupid or delusional ? a Devon man is going to Antarctica to swim amongst the icebergs to highlight detrimental effects of global warming and has invited others to join him, how are they going to get there...……….walk-swim-walk-swim etc etc, or as I suspect will they (and support teams) opt for the carbon footprint method of plane/ship/motorboat. Seems any idiot can make a statement and get on National News

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 2009 I swam in the Antarctic,
    We sailed into the Caldera of a Volcano in Desolation Island, the waters were warm due to the heat from the volcano. we were surrounded by ice on the shore line.
    out side the immediate area, it was 50 degrees below. A good experience,
    But today only certain vessels , usually BAS ones, are allowed into the Antarctic. due to polution and the sulphur from the ER Exhausts.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 19th December 2019 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Stupid or delusional ? a Devon man is going to Antarctica to swim amongst the icebergs to highlight detrimental effects of global warming and has invited others to join him, how are they going to get there...……….walk-swim-walk-swim etc etc, or as I suspect will they (and support teams) opt for the carbon footprint method of plane/ship/motorboat. Seems any idiot can make a statement and get on National News
    Ivan, he must not have very good contacts, otherwise some other bandwagon jumper would have offered to sail him down there on a raft made out of reeds or plastic bottles or similar..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony, There are a few sailing ships that take holiday makers around the waters of Greenland, And are encouraged to join the ships crew into taking a swim around the ship in freezing waters alongside them. No child has ever been conceived during these holiday breaks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Tony, There are a few sailing ships that take holiday makers around the waters of Greenland, And are encouraged to join the ships crew into taking a swim around the ship in freezing waters alongside them. No child has ever been conceived during these holiday breaks
    probably not for a month after either, talk about numb nuts, in every respect

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The Met Office has forecast 2020 to be another of the warmest years on record.

Next year is predicted to be around 1.11C above pre-industrial levels, extending the series of the Earth's hottest years since records began in 1850.

The Met Office annual global temperature forecast began in 2015 when global temperatures exceeded 1C above pre-industrial levels for the first time, while 2016 remains the hottest year on record at around 1.16C above the baseline.

Dr Doug Smith, Met Office research fellow, said: "The forecast for 2020 would place next year amongst the six warmest years on record, which would all have occurred since 2015.

"All of these years have been around 1.0C warmer than the pre-industrial period."

In the absence of a strong El Nino weather phenomenon in the Pacific, which pushes up global temperatures, the hot temperatures in 2020 will be due to rising levels of greenhouse gases, experts at the Met Office say.

The forecast is based on the key drivers of climate change, including greenhouse gases, but does not take into account unpredictable events such as a large volcanic eruption which could create temporary cooling.

The Met Office's forecast last year for 2019 is in line with what has been observed this year, at around 1.1C above the pre-industrial level.

Dr Nick Dunstone, an expert in climate variability at the Met Office, added: "Although the earth has warmed by about 1C on average since pre-industrial times, this isn't spread evenly over the surface of the globe as much of the warming is occurring in the Arctic and over land masses."

The forecast comes after the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) announced 2019 had been one of the hottest on record, based on analysis of data from sources including the Met Office.

The WMO said the past decade, from 2010 to 2019, has almost certainly been the warmest in records dating back to the 19th century, and the past five years from 2015 have also been the hottest on record.

Another warm year globally is likely to focus the minds of countries meeting in Glasgow in November for key UN climate talks aimed at driving more ambitious action to cut the greenhouse gas emissions causing global warming.

Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast