Page 30 of 60 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change

Thanks to all and yes we will i am sure be OK but who can tell till its all over!
    Very high winds expected for Tuesday which is the mail issue when Fires are around
    Cheers Lads
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for being behind the time, but after time spent at the hospital clinic and doctors for my wife, who is responding well to her treatment, though not a cure, postpones the inevitable, I'll take it (big grin). Spare time is spent packing, as we have sold our home—out Dec. 9.. We are moving into a ground floor 3 bedroom apartment in a town that is 15 mins from the hospital clinic and doctors, beats 1 1/2hrs to one and 2 1/2 hours each way to the other. It meant we had do get rid of load of books, furniture and odds and ends that meant a lot to each other.

O'kay...Johno #283 and Colin # 239. As I said, I've actually stood on top of the generator and half my body outside within 10-15 feet of the revolving blades and its silent, maybe a slight tremble in the feet signaling that the generator is actually running and nothing, no noise or whoosh from the blades. This was in my Hon. adopted son's wind turbine, he has three of them. I've posted photos on this site of my wife and me at the top next to the blades, at least three hundred feet up..

A wind turbine can generate power in as little as 2mph wind and shuts itself down if the wind is faster than (I think) 20mph.

Now this and these wind turbines are in Germany and perhaps the ones in Oz are not up to the same standards. Not being sarcastic, I just know I've been there and done that and they are silent.

In Germany if you want to build one you have to provide a study on the habitat of bird life within a specified radius of a proposed turbine and the nesting and flight paths of migrating birds and a thousand and one other studies. I have a photo somewhere of my Hon. son standing before a serpentine line of three inch binders of his responses to the questions to satisfy the German and local governments etc..

I wont be able to dig them out of the packing boxes (which ever one they are in) until after we settle in to our new home.

I have to say, this site, though I am only on for minuets most of the time, and write a few lines and back half hour later for a few more) is keeping me sane...I'm feeling every second of my eighty-two years.

My bionic heart valve is pumping away. I'm doing three sets of 25 push-ups (plus other exercises) and 7 miles on my bike daily, plus humping boxes of books and what-nots to the car then unloading same in a storage shed. that's in the off time from the doctors etc.. My cardiologist has given me approval and I should be back to my pre-surgical shape about Feb.

Gotta go...Cheers. Rodders.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des #287.
    Des #287
    Just the same here in South Carolina three days ago, t-shirt and a light jacket on my bike. This morning, LONG Underwear, gloves, balaclava, winter jacket. Me too, three sets of gear going. Might consider moving to the arctic and let the polar bears move here.

Cheers, Rodney.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodders, our turbines require wind speeds of between 15 and 45 knots, outside of that no go.
    We have had a number of places for them taken off the list for the preservation of wild life, mainly migrating birds.

But an article in our paper yesterday makes for interesting reading.
    December 1987 scientists predicted that seas would within 20 years move up to 20 klm inland.
    November 1988 scientists said there should be a moratorium on our snow fields as within 30 years they would be wiped out.
    Last week Threadbo, one of the big ski fields, reached a top of just 3 degrees.
    January 1989 scientists predicted that within 30 years sea levels around the coast would rise by 1 to 4 meters.
    In 2000 we had the K2 bug.

None of the above ever happened or are likely to, it is for this reason that myself and many others have become very skeptical about what we are told. The media will only publish items of shock and awe, not always the exact truth, but for those of us who care to look a bit further the facts are there and not as bad as many would think.

Currently parts of NSW and Queensland are in the grip of very bad bush fires.
    But we have had a very dry winter brought about by the el Nino effect and the refusal by many councils, mainly Green members, refusing to allow burn offs during winter to reduce fire risk levels.

The worst of the fires according to the Fire Brigades are within the national parks which makes it very had to get to them.

Bush fires are a pert of life here in Oz, they come at regular intervals in different parts of the country, most states at some time have had devastating ones.
    Here in Victoria we have had four very serious ones taking countless life's since the bad one of 1983. That fire stretched from South Australia in the hills to the Great Ocean Road, a distance of some 500 miles.

We are having a very dry year, but two years ago Victoria had one of the wettest winters on record.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon
    hope you are OK in your area.
    don't forget to place your lawn Sprinklers on the roof.

Homes in those areas should be fitted with sprinklers all around, as we had on the accommodation block on tankers , even our life boats had sprinklers.

Cheers
    Brian

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi Vernon

Homes in those areas should be fitted with sprinklers all around, as we had on the accommodation block on tankers , even our life boats had sprinklers.

Cheers
    Brian
    I was thinking the same Brian when those fires started in California; they could harvest rain water and save grey water into a holding tank, fit proper sprinkler system with self contained genny and pump (providing you have the wherewithal to pay for it that is).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi Vernon

Getting Car ready and packing bare essentials in case of necessary evacuation.

Cheers
    Brian
    Thanks Capt
    Have had those Sprinklers on the Roof for about 6 Years now ,still there and tested Yesterday all fine !
    But with Catastrophic Conditions and Heavy Winds will do little i fear!
    Holding all Fingers and Thumbs for Today that it does not get that bad !
    Got Car ready with bare essentials in case of necessary evacuation,
    Was up the Ladder Yesterday cleaning the Gutters and Blocking the Downpipes.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th November 2019 at 08:25 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks John F Collier, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the loss of homes in the fires in California are because of building in wilderness areas. Example: almost splitting Los Angeles in two, from the beach area of Malabu to half way to Palm Springs, is a string of mountains with loads of canyons.

Real estate developers bought this "useless wilderness areas". put in roads, leveled some spots off for supermarkets, churches etc., then sold lots. People came, bought lots and over the years development was pushed deeper and higher into the canyons. Some houses are cantilevered out over the rims of the canyons with a slope falling hundreds of feet to the canyon floor below.

Every year there were bush fires and still are. Vegetation is burnt off in the summer, the rains come in the spring and there is no vegetation to stop the mud sliding down to the valley below, a mud avalanche. It's a cycle, people burned out in summer, house and people crushed in winter. Spring time vegetation grows and the cycle begins again. And next year more of the same.

Yet people still come. Is it the same in Oz? I spent 13 summers in Oz and I never read anything about towns being wiped out or similar situations as I have said happens in L.A.. If is doesn't is it because of the less population. Australia 25million, The State of California 40 million?

Cheers, Rodney

14. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well lads, If there are still any doubters out there regarding climate change I think these posts tell the true story, Lets not forget the poor souls around some of the Yorkshire and Midlands regions here at home a months rain in one day, Unprecedent and what a lovely xmas they face, Small businesses' and homes people have lived and owned some for over 50 years have never known any thing like it. Not good at all I wish you all my very best regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ted, a widened of farmer was interviewed on BBC EM, he said "last time we had floods like this was in 1934" he also slated the environment Agency for lack of maintenance of the River Don.
    Vic

Page 30 of 60 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast