Thread: Dockland memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dockland memories

Another trip down memory lane, London docks as i remember them 1950-59, a short silent film, interesting to see two guys moving a large barge with just two sweeps, difficult to see the name of some of the ships, kt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19dFHTX5cw
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dockland memories

Oh the Years they now just melt away Keith watching this !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So nice to see ships that looked like SHIPS and not boxes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great piece of video.
    Snowbow productions have also a number of similar ones available, all well worth a look at.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for uploading this little 'gem' for our benefit. What a wonderful reminder of that bustling river we once knew. Seems it wasn't my imagination after all ! Unfortunately, the inconsistent quality of the footage makes it difficult to put a name to some of the ships, but no matter, it's a small price to pay for such a welcome nostalgia 'kick'. The video starts with the Woolwich ferries and amongst the other ships on view I think I spotted one of Port Line's old timers looking very smart (as they usually were). For me, the best part of the video came at 3.08 - 3.20 where I recognised an old lady-love whom I can positively identify. Making her way up-river is MacAndrews 'Pozarica'. A short-sea trader of 2514 GRT she was, for many years, engaged on a regular service from London to Lisbon, occasionally calling at other Iberian ports. Capable of 15 knots she carried up to 12 passengers. ( At 2.32 - 2.42 and again, at 3.34 - 3.42, there is stern-view footage of her approach through the haze towards the entrance of London Docks, at Shadwell Basin. ( The Pathe editor seems to have muddled the sequence a bit, but no matter).

For those of us who were married, the 'Pozarica' was a 'dream' job much sought after. On average, a round trip lasted about 18 days, five days of discharge and load (and love) in London, four days at sea, five days in Lisbon (love optional) and another four days at sea. Life for 'Pozarica' was anything but dull. In 1941 her build commenced in Bolnes, Holland and she was given the name Hermes. However, when the allies overran southern Holland her construction had still not been completed. She was claimed as a war-prize. A German company completed her build in 1949 and she was allotted to the M.O.T. and given the name 'Empire Dove'. In 1953 she was sold to MacAndrews who renamed her 'Pozarica' and so commenced her long and regular appearance on the London river.

She was a good solid ship and like all MacAndrews vessels had been well maintained. Her all white livery enhanced by a buff-coloured funnel and green boot-topping. Although designed over twenty years earlier I thought she had an impressive look about her, including a rather rakish bow (although IMO her overall appearance was slightly marred by an oversize funnel).

As an AB, I joined her in May, 1964, only intending to do the one trip due to an agreement I had with G.S.N.C. to join their 'Royal Sovereign' in June. But for that I would have happily stayed longer, or so I thought. It so happened that just one trip after I left she was sold to a Spanish concern and renamed 'Bluefin'. In November, 1965, whilst in the Bay of Biscay, she lost her rudder in a storm. Although taken in tow, a few days later her cargo of iron ingots shifted and she sank.
    Thankfully, I don't think there was any loss of life, but it was still a sad ending to a fine old ship.

Again, Keith, thanks for the video.

............Roger

P.S. Have attached a 'pic' of 'Pozarica' should you wish to compare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 3rd February 2019 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger, nice to see you back, i didn't recognise the old McAndrews boat, so glad you were able to say which one she was. I also had a lovely time with McAndrews, i was on the Palacio, which was fairly new in 1962, and also on the Verdaguer as AB later the same year. Sure is nice to see familiar parts of the world we all knew before it disappeared , regards KT
    R689823

8. Thanks Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the Woolwhich ferry brings back memories.

Spent many hours on there just back and forth across the Thames.
    Cousin of mother was the Bosun on there and he allowed me on the bridge at times and told me many stories of his time at sea.
    His family were from Weymouth, local fishermen with a very large Trawler, and during the evacuation of troops from Dunkirk were one of the fleet of small ships.

I am certain he had some influence in my choice of joining up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon, Roger Dyer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes indeed Roger so nice to see you posting again,been on Walkabout mate! LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post