Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Road trip 2

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Road trip 2

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    You are missing posts Keith he is back in Ireland for good now!

Drat, will miss a visit to France, will be more than happy to visit Ireland ASAP.

K.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best keep clear of WA just now Lewis ,they tend to shoot them. One of the leaders of the Coffin cheaters recently shot dead and there is a 1 million dollar reward leading to the capture of his attacker. The police are out in special force to keep the peace. The gangs here are into everything according to the media. Best for innocent riders to have their Tattoos removed together with their long Hair and beards. And break out the gophers until things die down. JS
    R575129

4. Likes Tony Taylor, cappy, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    Always wanted to learn to ride a motorbike, hubby vetoed it saying he wasn't keen for me to have 500cc underneath me! Just kidding enjoy the trip, I'm surprised your even allowed to do it given Covid restrictions and all that.
    Keep safe and well.
    Hi Victoria, that is an old thread I think Doc revived from a couple of years back 2018. So well pre Covid. It was a fantastic trip, great crowd of old friends meeting up. I was always the long distance rider. At the time I was living in France so I had the pleasure of my own company from SW France up to NW France to Calais. I would just avoid the motorways and meander through some lovely old villages taking my time. Stopped with a Friend in Basildon for a night, then we would meet more friends on the way through to Holyhead in Wales, Meet another friend in Dublin ride up to Northern Ireland and meet the N Irish group along with a few from Scotland and Northern England. Once we all assembled the fun began in earnest as we headed to the most Northern part of the Island of Ireland Malin Head which is the starting point of the Wild Atlantic Way which runs all the way down the west coast of Ireland 1600 miles stunning scenery. We did not do it all on that trip but later on that year I did it again and late last year I went back again on my own and completed it.sept 19 2.jpgSept 19 4.jpgsept2019.jpg, . waw.jpg My wife's mothers family came from County Wexford a small village called Duncormick so decided to check that out as it was not to far from my ferry port heading back to France and home. You will always find Irish family history in the local church graveyard.Sept 19 9.jpg as you can see my mother inlaws family name was Cleary and this is the family plot. As I am sure you know the Irish had hard times and Irelands greatest export for years was always her children searching for a better life. Enjoy the few photos I have hopefully managed to post. I had some great times on my Motor bike, I really miss it all now.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks a lovely area Lewis. I never went to Ireland in my seagoing years, but approx 4 years ago, while on the mainland, having paid a ridiculous ferry fare from the Isle of Wight, decided we would go with the car, and went to a cottage stay on the ring of Kerry, had a fabulous stay, and visited many places, enjoyed the Guiness as well. the only problem on the ring of Kerry was because of the amount of coaches on the ring, it was quite difficult to get a meal in the evenings. I looked into flying from Southampton airport, with the idea of hiring a car in Ireland,but at that time, i was in the late 70s, and hiring was not easy, now at 80, almost impossible, so have never gone back, kt
    R689823

8. Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have believe said before worked out of Ireland in a place called Fenit at the mouth of the Shannon , working a Sedco rig 101 miles due west in the Atlantic .Fenit although a smalll port with a population. Of a few hundred had about 7 pubs and to appreciate Ireland you have to get among the populance to appreciate Irish humour. Wasnt too far from Tralee and that was worth paying a visit to if you liked the country. Especially horse racing .Think it was also the Sedco 101 or 107 if memory correct . Have just come in from the bingo night and the wife cut the Ace of spades in the raffle and won $840 so that should keep me in beer for a few days .Doesnt God work in mysterious ways . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th December 2020 at 01:01 PM.
    R575129

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you are enjoying your new retirement John, best of luck. I am still where you bailed out of, too much house, too much garden etc, and a wife who loves the house we are in, kt
    R689823

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith up to now , still believe it was the correct path to take . But it is more prevalent here in Oz than the uk. The uk is more like the end of days, here is the start of a second free worry free second life. Forget about costings Is probably cheaper to live in a village than it is in. Your own mortgage free own home .At the end of the day if your worried about when your toes are curled up and what the Kids get you know exactly what they get as there is a fixed valuation to go to your heirs , plus whatever change you may have accumalated in your pocket. It is just downsizing with other benefits. Plus the benefits of a safe envioroment if one partner is left alone. JS
    R575129

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moved from the big house, to a smaller house, then a 3BR cottage with a big courtyard, 6 years ago moved to an appartment with balcony in big communal gardens, never looked back. Cheap holiday comes along just lock the door and bugger off, no overgrown lawn, wilting flowers, rotten fruit to worry about upon return.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16. It’s the way the Irish tell them. This zebra went walk about from the circus and came to this farm and saw this chicken , and said to the chicken who are you and what do you do ? I’m a chicken says the chicken and I lay eggs for the farmer you know, goes a bit further across the farm and sees this cow, and says who are you and what do you do ?, I’m a cow says the cow and I calf and produce milk etc and you know ,he goes a bit further and sees this horse and says to the horse who are you and what do you do ? I’m a stallion says the. Horse take off your pyjamas and I’ll show you. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th December 2020 at 10:48 PM.
    R575129

17. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ireland, a beautiful country full of some of the friendliest you will ever met.

My wife is from Tipperary, long way to go, and we try to get there every couple of years, Virus willing.
    Some of the best countryside anywhere, great country pubs that never close and small villages like something out of the distant past.

But beware, never walk along an Irish country lane at night on your own. Something I will never do, behind the hedges live all manner of Goblins and others.
    Do so and you may never be seen again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

19. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast