Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The assumption a hard ship was a happy ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The assumption a hard ship was a happy ship

Catering crew with UCL had two choices, work hard or find another ship.
    Wingers with two sittings of South African bloods would often work them selves into the ground.
    But can honestly say no one ever complained, most likely did not have the energy at the end of the day, often doing from 0600 hours to 2230 hours with maybe only a couple of hours off mid afternoon.

But on the maiden voyage of the British Hawthorn we were not a happy lot.
    In port all meals had to be steamed, ever had steamed egg and sausages for brekkie?
    Most of the crew could take that but the chef had other ideas.
    Why not do all meals steamed at sea as well, easier to keep the galley clean.
    Not y a happy ship as the skipper allowed him to do it saying that as it was the maiden voyage there would be many problems to resolve.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Better than big bad john , hope you mean donor and not downer John. Is always the same when you get a son named after his father big One and little one. Or in the case of 3 McLeod’s I knew all brothers and all named Murdo was 1 2 and 3. Cheers JWS.

Lewis McColl Guest

John it has been found again just a shame the springs have not got the same bounce as they once had, as for them magic pills who wants to have to walk around looking like stud at 9am.My days of morning glory are well behind me now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Catering crew with UCL had two choices, work hard or find another ship.
    Wingers with two sittings of South African bloods would often work them selves into the ground.
    But can honestly say no one ever complained, most likely did not have the energy at the end of the day, often doing from 0600 hours to 2230 hours with maybe only a couple of hours off mid afternoon.

But on the maiden voyage of the British Hawthorn we were not a happy lot.
    In port all meals had to be steamed, ever had steamed egg and sausages for brekkie?
    Most of the crew could take that but the chef had other ideas.
    Why not do all meals steamed at sea as well, easier to keep the galley clean.
    Not y a happy ship as the skipper allowed him to do it saying that as it was the maiden voyage there would be many problems to resolve.
    ## had it on a british tanker BTC and a shell tanker that was hard to cope with all food steamed instead of cooked ....it was not good for the soul .....people always got testy with each other ....never met a cook who liked it no taste just bland but better than the big bang.......cappy

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33... Hope it was your own you found Lewis and not someone’s else’s . Always keep a tight hold on mine and always know where it’s been. That would be a thing now picking up someone’ else’s misbegotten goods. Especially if had no one to blame. Safe sailing . What was that chimney sweep song, I’ll be up your flue in a minute or two and won’t be down for a fortnight , First did you check it for soot.?? Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th April 2018 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lewis the best way to get a woman out of bed first to get the kettle on is ask how long has it been since we had sex first thing in the morning?? works every time?? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#36... John live by the thoughts of a Happy wife means a Happy life and you can’t go wrong. Cheers JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ## had it on a british tanker BTC and a shell tanker that was hard to cope with all food steamed instead of cooked ....it was not good for the soul .....people always got testy with each other ....never met a cook who liked it no taste just bland but better than the big bang.......cappy
    Cappy, the sausages made just for seaming came out of a can and were skinless, looked like something the dog left behind.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes cappy, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember canned skinless sausages they tasted like something that the dog left behind . But they had a wonderful advantage of being they were really very cheap and what struck me looking at in one day was they seem to have chicken in them . At one time I would have to be in different places across the UK and the continent they would choose small bed and breakfasts as the hotel of choice as opposed to the chain hotels and I used to always judge how good my stay was on the quality of the bacon and eggs and breakfast especially the sausage where has the chain hotels would have had the catering specials very often the little bed and breakfast had the locally sourced from the local butcher breakfast food
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my first trip the C/E was Russian,he kept us Jun/eng`s on sea watches for almost 5 months,
    '' If it eats no meat,keep it !!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast