Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Where were you on your 21st Birthday?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Where were you on your 21st Birthday?

My 21st Birthday was spent enroute from KG5 to Le Havre on the Shaftesbury as uncert 3/0. Came out inot the Thames at midnight and the old man said well you're a man now! The next morning he left me to cross the TSS on my own. I'm sure he was stood at his port though. Rex Leach a great Master I learned a lot on the 2 trips I did with him. 2nd as 2/0.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Birthday's

Hi
    I had my 21st Birthday onboard the M/V Piako when on the MANZ run
    Had a few in the crew bar in the evening
    I also remember the pool at Caracas Bay
    Happy days
    Willie

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Birthday's

I was still an Electrical apprentice at Silley Cox Falmouth, with three months to go to the end of it, looking forward to becoming an Electrician at sea. Due to unforeseen circumstances I didn't make it until the middle of the next year, but I got there in the end.

5. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Birthday coming up, always makes me think about birthdays at sea or in port.
    My 21st was on the Pinemore, in the Bay of Biscay. As usual in the Bay, blowing a gale.
    Took a couple of cases of beer to the mess, but most hands had turned in. Had one beer, wished myself a happy birthday, then hit the sack. Didn't know that my folks had planned a bash for me when I got back,and invited a few girls I knew. Instead of going home,went to Workington[ had met a friendly girl there homeward bound]. Then shipped out again. Do recall having trouble finding a date when I finally did get home.
    Den.
    I was on board Empress of Canada crossing the Atlantic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Bennington View Post
    I was just starting my 2 year National Service in the RAF, looking back it was not too bad, pity they stopped it, would sort out todays hoodlums!!
    What Year was that as i too served in the RAF, 1959 Squarebashing at Bridgenorth , then on to Compton Basset for Wireless Operators Course, then on the Innsworth awaiting Shipment to Aden during the small wars!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi. Chas of NZ. Guess I am back again after sorting out life stuff after loosing family and a couple of friends. Will message you. My 21st was actually my first UK at home birthday and actually in Liverpool. Arrived at the house just as my Mother, her guy, my brother and sister leaving for the Dog Track in Liverpool. Not my cup of tea but hadn’t much choice. The pub across the road from the track was where I had to push the boat out with a round for all hands (About 30 people) I had just paid off that morning and everyone eager to pay but hands kept getting stuck in their pockets. Anyway, the publican took my money without charging for or pouring me a Lager and Lime. He said I was too young even though my 18 year old sister had a Shandy. Still had discharge book in pocket which he wouldn’t look at. Family thought it was hilarious and wouldn’t help as I was ordered out. A passing constable went back in with me and I got my drink.
    Think I was 23 when appointed 4th Mate on the Empress of Scotland about to shift ship from Gladstone Dock to the Pier Head to load passengers and Mail when Capt Kaye appeared in the wheelhouse. I introduced myself and his response was “Does your mother know you are away from home ?” Explains why I couldn’t get a date with any girl older than “Jail bait” ! Keith aka Snowy.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the North Sea aboard RFA Olwen heading to Rothsyth docks I think, happy ship, happier days,Sept 25th '69. Got home on leave in December and presented with my 21st birthday gift a Kodak Instant (?) camera and met my eventual wife. Some things you never forget.

Brian M. R830429

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was EDH on the Sherwood bound for Balboa Spain, we were in the Bay of Biscay on my birthday, being chucked about by rough seas. I got maudlin pissed listening to 'lonely Soldier' on a little record player I had.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember celebrating my 21st birthday in the home of my Chief Cook in Calcutta. 1977!! I was an Assistant Purser/Catering Officer with Ellerman City Liners and our crew either came from Bombay or Calcutta areas. Funnily enough, I spent my 18th birthday in Bombay!! Happy days!!

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

June 7 1970

I was a 2nd trip deck cadet. About a week ago I had joined the tramp tanker MV Hector Heron,owned by the British and Commonwealth Shipping Company. She was in dry dock in Sembawang, Singapore. The next day would be my 21st birthday so I thought it would be a good idea to get an early night in preparation. I hoped there would be some sort of party the next day.

So I went to my bunk.

However, about 2am the serang (Bosun, we had and Indian crew.) woke me up to tell me that there was "Plenty water in crew quarters, sahib." I told him that I was a very junior officer and that he should find the duty officer. "You are the only deck officer we can find, sahib, please come." So much for my early night! I quickly checked the cabins of all the other deck officers. Nada! Even the captain was absent. So I went with the serang to see what the problem was. Sure enough, the crew quarters which were cabins off two long alleyways, one each side of the engine room, were two feet deep in water. It made me sad to see the poor fellows trying to rescue their belongings from the flood.

As I stood there wondering what to do, the Chief Engineer appeared beside me. I have never been more relieved in my life.

I said something really intelligent like "What the Hell is happening, Chief?"

I don't know how he knew, but he had figured out that the other cadet (Senior Apprentice, who will remain nameless because I can't remember his name, the tw*t!) had rigged a hose from shoreside supply to fill our freshwater tanks. Then he went ashore with all the other deck officers. Left the hose running. The tanks were now overflowing. Into the crew quarters.

Thank God, the Chief takes charge. "First thing to do is stop the supply."

That was easy, pulled the hose out of the fill pipe and capped it.

Then the Chief asked me "How's your heid (forgive him, he was a Scot, but a lovely bloke just the same) for height lad?"

"Fair to middling, Chief, why do you ask?"

"Because you're about to take a ride in a bucket, lad."

I couldn't think of an answer.

The Chief had arranged for a crane driver to pick up a bucket large enough to carry a man (me).
    I was supplied with a bamboo pole. To the end of this pole had been fixed a spanner.
    The spanner would fit the plug that had been fitted to a drain outlet on the ship to protect the workers who where scraping the old girl's bum during the daytime..

I got in the bucket, armed with my pole and spanner. The crane driver was good bless him or her.
    Gently I was lowered close the plug, which was under the overhang of the stern. That's why the spanner had to be on the end of the pole, so I could reach in. It was a bit scary. Under the Chief's instuctions I managed to identify the offending plug and unscrew it. It fell, with a loud clang, to the bottom of the drydock. Water pissed out. Job done. The crane driver very kindly returned me to the safety of the dock side.
    The Chief told me to clean up and to come to his cabin in 10 minutes. I did that.
    It must have about 4am, I had lost track.
    He said " I believe it's your 21st birthday, young man", handed me a tumbler of Scotch that would have stopped a donkey, and said "Happy Birthday."
    We drank up and I went back to my bunk.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast