Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Where were you on your 21st Birthday?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Where were you on your 21st Birthday?

My 21st was spent in the middle of the North Atlantic, with lousy weather as usual, in the old Elizabeth Bowater as a second-year cadet. Was allowed to put up a case of Tennants lager. Shortly after we were dodging Hurricane Betsy.

2. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hey View Post
    My 21st was spent in the middle of the North Atlantic, with lousy weather as usual, in the old Elizabeth Bowater as a second-year cadet. Was allowed to put up a case of Tennants lager. Shortly after we were dodging Hurricane Betsy.
    Pardon my asking, what era was that, as usually in the era 40's/50's deck cadets usually started at 16/17 and engineering cadets around 18, so second year cadet at 21 seems a bit unusual, just curious

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Birthday coming up, always makes me think about birthdays at sea or in port.
    My 21st was on the Pinemore, in the Bay of Biscay. As usual in the Bay, blowing a gale.
    Took a couple of cases of beer to the mess, but most hands had turned in. Had one beer, wished myself a happy birthday, then hit the sack. Didn't know that my folks had planned a bash for me when I got back,and invited a few girls I knew. Instead of going home,went to Workington[ had met a friendly girl there homeward bound]. Then shipped out again. Do recall having trouble finding a date when I finally did get home.
    Den.
    Outward bound to West Africa on the Kano Palm as Third Mate. The Chief Thief had be collecting "broken stowage" during loading in European ports and flogged it off to pay for the necessary for five course meal on board for my 21st. I had to buy the booze. I was also expected to keep the 8 to 12 that evening so couldn't get pissed. The Old Man came on the brodge to check me out. By midnight the lads had drunk all the grog so me and the Third Engineer had a quiet drink on our own. Still, it was better than my 18th - Vung Tau, Vietnam, deck apprentice. Got put on the shake at 0400 to weigh anchor so the Mate could stay in his bunk. The Second Mate's wife gave me a tin of boiled sweets, my only birthday present. Happy days!!
    R860757

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Second Mate's wife gave me a tin of boiled sweets, my only birthday present. Happy days!!
    Were they Barley sugar from the lifeboat?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was called up to the radio officers station to be given a telegram sent by some family members in UK.
    Think t was the only telegraph I ever got.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had my 21st anchored Gulf of Suez on British Honour. No air con no beer no hope as on way to Bandur Mashur again! Happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian, just about all we knew were there so not sure.
    Will ask the boss as she has all the ingredients of that day somewhere.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Bill Morrison, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Army

I cannot imagine how it must have been to do National Service....Wow ... I was too young....Obviously. But...Do us people on here think it was a good idea....Or something that was outdated before it was cancelled?
    I have mixed feelings.... I somehow think some of the youth of my times...would have benefited ...whilst it would have been counterproductive for others.....
    When you think of the Ultra Military Mentality of the USA ...for exampe... Does it work for a balanced society...or indeed, a more secure country?
    I get the impression that Veterans in the USA are not treated very well..... which, in itself is anachronism. (But then...much of the USA is.) Which is all very sad and a sad reflection of reality.
    Are the Ex-Military in the Uk given any preference..... No.... Sadly not. They have various personal problems.... yet get little help.
    But the country bends over backwards (allegedly) to help anyone and everyone who manages to reach our shores....by whatever means....mostly by illegal means... ILLEGAL MEANS....

Yet....they get preference over our own people...... How can this be right? Can anyone explain this to me? They are NOT Fleeing Persecution...nor war....they are what they are: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
    We must remember that every country has very strict rules of entry...yet people who arrive in a a boat...somehow... seem to have more rights than anyone else.... How does that work? In a modern world?
    .. People who have no faith in their own country.
    Mostly the "Boat People" are young men....... They have no faith in their own country,,,they cannot defend their women, back in their country?

I am getting rather tired of their flaccid excuses.
    Last edited by Steve Singleton; 10th April 2023 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Just tired.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Army

National Service if nothing else helped to keep the Teddy Boys in check , and showed them the choice was theirs ,be disciplined or take the consequences . The weak ineffectual laws of today could very well be reinforced to some extent by National Service , I would be all for bringing it back. As kids in our generation the armed forces in the Cadet branches were always a target for most of our schoolboy ambitions , and we had a high regard for the same.
    However in those halcyon days we were proud of our country and our birthright and willing to fight for it and volunteer if required to do so. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steve.
    The second world war saw the slow demise of Britain, The selling off of the MN to various countries not many who helped Britain during the war was one bitter blow. Then after a short period of good relations the Govt started to hammer the working class once again as if they were the enemy, those who had gone away to fight for Britain treated badly, not only those who went to fight but the Bevan boys who kept Britain in coal. But who am I to complain I got out of there.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast