Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: First trip memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First Trip Memories

Hi Shipmates, On the 30th May, 1957, this 'brand-new' deck-boy fearfully entered the Port line Office on the dockside at KGV. Mr.Aitchison told me to go and work-by on the Port Launceston which was loading, nearby, for N.Z. She was practically new and I thought 'this'll do me'. About three hours later Mr.Aitchison changed his mind, issued me with a travel voucher and instructed me to hurry, immediately, to Liverpool, where I was to join the Port Hobart. On H.T. articles, she was leaving the next day for Hamburg. On the train up, I was excited, but still very uncertain about what lay ahead. When I first saw her, I was filled with awe. She looked huge, although in fact was only about 12000 grt. The bosun told me that as I was the last of four deck-boys to join, I would 'Peggy' for the trip. I didn't much care for the sound of that, but soon settled into the routine of what was required. For me, the worst part was mealtimes when I had to convey food from the galley to the sailor's mess aft. The individual meals were placed into a steel cabinet which had provision to carry about ten plates of food, secured by a large sliding lid at the front. Lifting one of these kits in each hand I would have to struggle aft, negotiate a ladder down onto the well-deck, then across and up the other side. It was sometimes a bl---y nightmare, especially when the sea was a bit lively. Fortunately, most of the meals arrived intact, which for my health's sake was just as well. Most of the sailors seemed to regard us deck-boys with an almost world-weary benevolence. I don't think too much was expected of us. There were, however, one or two older A.B's that didn't suffer fools gladly, and, wisely, I tried to keep out of their way. On the way round the conversation in the mess turned to Hamburg and there was a distinct air of expectancy that suggested to me that this trip might be fun. We eventually reached the Elbe, passed Brunsbuttelkoog at the entrance to the Kiel Canal, and further up-river to that point on the northern bank where through a loud-speaker they played the national anthem of all foreign vessels entering the port of Hamburg. In later years I was to experience this on many occasions, but never again would it give me the same sense of pride I felt on that first trip. It was a good time to be a British seaman. As I'd expected, Hamburg, one of the great seaports of the world, was full of various kinds of ships, etc. and very busy. There were many new buildings, but the effects of Allied bombing in WW2 was still evident. That first night I was pleased to be included when some of the crew went ashore to visit the bars of St.Pauli. Most of what happened that night has now been lost in the mists of time, but, strangely, I can still have some recall of the later part of the evening. Shortly before midnight, with one of the greasers, I was in a bar in a street just off the eastern end of the Reeperbahn. Although only 16 years old, I'm ashamed to say that alcohol was not a new experience for me. I remember that we were drinking Rum Toddies, a hot, spicy concoction in which they put a cube of sugar - it worked for me. About midnight there was a roll of drums, a spotlight shone down on small stage into which stepped a 'glamour' dressed in little other than a fur thingy and a pair of high-heel shoes (I'm sure you get the picture). Anyway she gyrated around for a few minutes before the spotlight dimmed a little and to the clash of cymbals she cast off the fur and stood in nothing more than a pair of shoes. I confess, I was not really paying much attention to her shoes. We stayed in there for one or two more hourly performances before staggering out of the bar into the night. My mate, the greaser, who was obviously no stranger to Hamburg, then led me off down the street and across the road to what I thought was the world's biggest urinal entrance. There was a big sign in several languages advising that beyond this point was out of bounds to all Allied servicemen. Fortunately, it said nothing about merchant seaman. It was, of course, the famous Herbertstrasse, a cobbled street, lined on each side by a series of well-lit 'shop' fronts in which sat lots of ladies in various stages of undress. I thought I'd gone to heaven!!! My mate said he was off to 'buy' something and suggested I join him. However, due to my inebriation coupled with a touch of shyness, I declined. I was happy to play the voyeur and so sank wearily to the ground and sat there with my back to a wall. My last and most vivid memory occurred at that point. I saw a man dressed in a respectable suit wearing one of those nautical style peaked caps which seemed to be so popular with German men in those days. He was carrying a huge basket which was covered in a napkin and he was repeating something in German obviously a sales 'pitch'. Curiousity finally got the better of me and so I got up, went over and had a peek. It's three or four in the morning and this guy is selling fresh fish outside a cluster of brothels. At the time I couldn't help laughing and looking back I still find it amusing. It was on that first trip that I very quickly had my 'getting of wisdom' and would never be the innocent teenager anymore. We returned to Liverpool, paid-off, and I went home to my family and my old mates, full of myself and of the things I had seen and done in such a short time. I realised that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I felt happy, lucky and very privileged............cheers to you all, Roger.
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 2nd October 2010 at 11:46 AM.

2. Likes Doc Vernon, John Gill, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool First Trip

Hi There.
    Left Swansea,two or three days before Christmas 1952.
    Told by some of the chaps to get ready to go ashore in
    Barry.Got dressed ready to go,imagine the laughs when
    I turned out in my best clothes with my Mothers ironing
    creases still in them.It turned out that we were going to
    Bari in southern Italy,even those orders were changed
    and my first Port Of Call was Port de Bouc in the South
    of France.

Dave Williams

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Pirie

My First ship was the Port Pirie ( 1964 ) we were flown to Holland from Southampton to join the ship. When I joined the off going crew were about to leave, when I noticed that some of them were in womens clothes... I think looking back that one of them was De-De. After getting to my area for work ( Pantry Boy ). I noticed that some of the knives were bent ( grapefruit knives ) so I straighten them......OPPS. I should have took more notice of my training, Oh Boy.. did I get a Boxxinking from the 2nd Stewd. Take care..... Terry

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Seattle Star

I joined my 1st. ship, the Seattle Star, ex Delane, Liverpool, Alex. Dock, April 1957, green Cadet. The main cargo was scotch whiskey in an open stow. I was given the job of "cargo watch" & supposed to stop the scouse dockers from drinking this stuff. This was a complete waste of time, they simply dropped a case on it's corner & filled up their tin cans. Eventually we departed, the first job was to accompany the Mate to inspect the foc'sle. The paint store, rope store , everywhere there were bottles & cases of Chivas Regal. The bosun and most of the hands were paralytic.Chippy's shop was like a bottle store, That evening I was woken up at 0100 by the third mate & told to do the 12-4 watch as the second mate was not very well. To get to the bridge,you had to climb up inside the funnel & pass by the O.M's Cabin, I glanced inside and could see the Captain asleep in bed, the 2nd Mate was passed out on the deck, the Chief Mate was stood on a chair conducting an orchestra & Sparks was slumped on the settee,apparently crying!There was a crate of scotch & 3 or4 cases of Bass on the deck. At the age of 16, I didn't quite know what to do about this situation, however I just carried on and took over the watch. I suppose I never really ever looked back!!!!

8. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brilliant mate, just brilliant. Sad thing is the only ones who will beliveve you are other M.N. men. No one ashore thinks such events could ever happen.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi to you guys i really enjoyed reading about your first trips to sea they were very good it reminds me of a serialthat use to be on the radio called SPIN A YARN SAILOR keep them coming loubarron

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First Trip

My first trip 26th March 1957 to 28th April 1957, MT Acuity Everades.
    This was very nearly my last trip to sea.
    I was fresh out of the NSTS Gravesend.
    I reported to the Shipping Federation, Paradise Street, Liverpool and was told to join the Acquity at Bromborough Dock as cabin boy.
    Later that day I arrived by taxi at the dock (Bear in in mind I was 16 years of age never been away from home except NTST Gravesend) and I saw a huge ship towering high above the dock sheds, I thought to myself omg, we drove passed the shed and I saw it was the Tempa Palm and not the Acuity. I look around the dock and at the end saw a little mast sticking above the dock and there she was, I honestly dont know what thought anyway there was a man on deck and he told me to come on board and report to the Officer which I did and signed on as catering boy.
    We sailed that evening fully loaded for London. I stood on the deck as we sailed down the Mersey and water was washing over the well deck, the deckhand told me not to worry it was noral.
    I went to bed that night full of trepidation of what had to do on board the next morning, ie report to the cook at 6.00am.
    I duly reported and was given a mop and bucket and told to clean the alleyways, I wasnt feeling very well due to sea sickness but carried on, at one stage I was on my knees being sick in the bucket and scrubbing out with the same water.(You all know how it felt)
    I went to bed that night ill, on waking up the next day I found that the ship had broken down and we were drifting in the Irish sea, I think we were drifting for one of two days before another Everades ship took us in tow and then on to Brixham in Devon where repairs were carried out, I was over my sea sicknes by now thank goodness. We were berthed directly behind the replica of the sailing ship The Mayflower which was being prepared for its trip to America, I went on board to have a look and it was so small I was glad I was on the Acuity. We sailed for London amd discharged the cargo. We then left for Liverpool sailing around the north of Scotland The weather was so bad in the Pentland Firth I thought we were going to sink but we sailed on. The night before we arrived at Liverpool the cook was drunk out of his mind and for reasons only known to him he attacked me in my cabin with a meat cleaver, he was so drunk he missed. I ran into the First mates cabin and told him, I think the mate was scandinavian, the cook burst into the mates cabin will the cleaver and the mate hit him once and knocked him clean out, the cook was taken to his cabin when he came round and secured there.
    The next day 28th April 1957 we arrived at Liverpool and I paid off, the cook stayed on the ship.
    I never saw him again but i remember to this day, (44 years later) his name, it would not be right to name him after all this time.
    It did not put me off, my next ship was the San Fernando, Eagle Oil Shipping Company.
    I stayed with Eagle Oil for the next five years, fantastic and happy times I must say with lots of tales from all over the world.
    I then went onto the Pool and Liverpool before giving up the sea in 1964.
    John Albert Evans
    s

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipboard training

We all owe so much to those Bosuns and Carpenters, who took time and patience to pass their skills and learning to first trippers. They were delighted, in later years, to meet again when I was duly qualified. Kindness and sympathy for a young lad starting out on his seafaring career, was appreciated, in direct contrast to the arrogance and shabby treatment by deck officers, who should have known better. I fought a one man battle against the "Public School Brigade", and excelled and superceded most of them in my exam results. Great satisfaction, I assure you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Gordon Whittaker; 14th June 2011 at 01:26 PM.

15. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First ship,

WILL NEVER FORGET THE DAY I JOINED MY FIRST SHIP, 21 YEARS OLD AND AS GREEN AS GRASS. HAD PASSED MY MEDICAL, GOT MY ID BOOK AND DISCHARGE BOOK, THE MAN AT KG5 GAVE ME A CHIT FOR MV BEAVERDELL, AS A WIPER, HAD NO IDEA WHAT THAT WAS, WAS TOLD TO REPORT TO THE SECOND ENGINEER, FOUND THE SHIP AND WALKED UP THE GANGWAY FEELING ON TOP OF THE WORLD, A LITTLE NERVOUS, THINKING AT LAST, MY FIRST SHIP, FOUND THE SECOND ENGINEER, HE ASKED FOR MY BOOK,AS SOON AS HE OPENED IT HE SAID , SORRY WE DONT TAKE FIRST TRIPPERS, WAS SHOCKED, AND VERY DISAPPOINTED, CAME BACK DOWN THAT GANGWAY WITH MY TAIL BETWEEN MY LEGS, BACK TO THE POOL , RELATED WHAT HAPPENED, POOL MAN NOT HAPPY, SO HE GAVE ME ANOTHER CHIT, MV NEWCASTLE STAR AS A CLEANER, WALKED TO THAT SHIP, BUT WITH LESS ENTHUSIASM, , DREADING WHAT I WOULD BE TOLD, BUT THIS TIME NO PROBLEMS, CAME BACK DOWN THE GANGWAY NOT BELIEVING I HAD FINALLY GOT MY FIRST SHIP, WILL NEVER FORGET LOOKING UP AT THOSE HUGE FLARED BOWS, THAT PICTURE IN MY MIND FOREVER, THINK I WAS ON A HIGH ALL THE WAY HOME TO SOUTHEND ON THE TRAIN, WILL NEVER REGRET GOING TO SEA, Tony W.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd September 2020 at 08:34 PM.
    Tony Wilding

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes donald w gillies, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default On the trolley bus

Hi shipmates, My first ship, I was very young still in school, about 13yrs Myself and a mate decided we would go a get a job, So we when to the local labour exchange and got an employment card and was told to go for an interview down cardiff dock bute st jump on the trolley bus and got off at pier head The office was in a large building painted blue and white with P and A Campbell in big letters so when up the stairs to office with card from labour exchange a tall man with a beard and uniform talk to me I cant remember what he said , but he told us to go to the pier head and join a ship for a job it was called The westward ho, I knew very little about ships at that time, I walked up the pier I remember it was made of wooded planks you could see the mud underneath it had been raining so it was a bit slippery, We when on board and someone in a uniform took our paperwork and told us what to do, we were put to work in a cupboard selling canned drinks to passengers. and when the ship was at sea we were giving a mop and bucket to keep the saloon dry it had a few rivets that leaked, we worked non stop to keep the sea water down. Some one would check on us every hour to make sure we did the job , The food was awful but we were ashore near fish and chip shops and cafes We were giving a bunk to sleep on 6 boys in a small cabin about 6ft x 6ft

19. Thanks Brett Hayes thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast