Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: First trip memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Paparoa

Good morning John. I joined the Paparoa on the 17th Dec. 1963, as deckboy, did two trips, and left her on 8th Sept. 1964 as jos. If you were a crew member then, I was the little runt of a peggy, oh yes, I did say runt. Good at my job, but oh so timid of all things bigger than me. I wish you and yours well. Anthony

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anthony thank you for the reply. Cannot say I recall you, was on the voyage that ended in the September, but I acted as assistant cook and doubled up as Tiger for Cpt. North. Some voyage if I recall with water restrictions for much of the Indian Ocean crossing.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony,just discovered the story of your first trip. That is the funniest story I've heard in years. I guess you didn't think it was funny at the time.

5. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up SS Paparoa

Hello again John in Oz. I was on that trip with the water shortage, and the Captain was North. I can see him now doing his pacing up and down the boat deck with those awfully long uniform white shorts. Oh my what a trip. The ABs rigged a tarpolin on the no.4 hatch and filled it with sea water. I can also remember some of the lads asking the Cook for a meat hook. I think we had broken down, so the lads went shark fishing from the poop deck. They caught one, but they could'nt heave the gastly beast over the railings. Goodness me, you should have seen the dentures on that thing. They had to cut it adrift in the end, and the poor cook lost his meat hook. Cheers to you and yours. Anthony

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb My First trip

Hello Hawkeye1, I at times can still taste that GIN at the back of my mouth, it is probably why I like my whiskey, not too much, mind you, but enough to get a really nice glow on. Know what I mean?. Wishes to you. Anthony (Tony)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good one!!

Hello Anthony
    Sure is a good story of the start of your MN Career,always nice to read different ones!
    I suppose we all have some sort of Story to tell,and i am sure that many here have memories of those first days at Sea! Some good,funny or bad but thats the way of life and that is what made most all of us the sort of peole we are today!
    Only wish that todays Youth (not all mind you) were the same,its a shame really to see what some are doing! Waste of good lives!
    Anyway this is a bit off the Topic so just thanks for the post!
    Also i have now obtained all your details regarding your Number etc for addition to the Flag project! So you are now on the database!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First Trip Memories.

Empress Of France 1957.On gangway duty as Bell Boy meeting passengers taking their case and showing them to their cabin. A man comes aboard C17 Bells I'm told.I take the mans case down to C deck shows him into his cabin puts the lights on etc and waits for my tip.Instead the man turns to me and asks"one cigarette please" he was putting the arm on me for a cigarette,What it was we carried thousands of Hungarian Refugees over to Canada just after the Hungarian Revolution.I had watched all these American movies where the Bell Boy gets a good tip but there I got an experience of what happens in the real world.

11. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit more about thta trip Anthony. Remember the shark bit and being 'lost' for a couple of days. Not long out of Aden and the first officer told North he could not take a sighting as the cloud cover was too thick. Spent two or three days on dead reckoning trying to find where we were. Remember watching movies out on the deck on a very hot night and half the crew sleeping out on deck it was too hot inside.Then on the way home across the Australian Bight North had the ship locked down the weather was so bad.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi frank. just come across your post about the warwick castle. i was on her in 1952 in the platehouse.very enjoyable trip with the usual run ins with the second steward. i was coming along the working alley way when the ship really rolled and all the beer barrels stacked up suddenly took off in all directions. i managed to dodge them but accidently put my elbow in an electrical socket whilst standing on a barrel a terrific blue flash just as the second steward appeared. i wasn't hurt but badly shaken. i gave him a right mouthful and not only got away with it, he took me to the doctor and then gave me a couple of bottles of beer. it was a good ship though and then i went on the durban next trip. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

15. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First trip

Hi Anthony,
    I left the "Indie" on 13th March '63 with the same Kit as you, was sent to P&O head office then to Tilbury joined "Oronsay" a voyage of 2 months 10 days around the world ( not bad for a little kid at the time ). Good times and bad times, mostley I remember the FOOD never ate so much in my life, as many eggs and rashers of bacon you could eat for breakfast plus "devilled kidneys" something like that, at the time never had food like that in my life. Two memories stick big time, Seasickness & Food, they don't mix BUT !! only 16 years old who cared..
    Graham R774640

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast