Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your prettiest ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Your prettiest ship

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    Posts 84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91 and 92 we often deviate from the the original thread but these have what to do with the thread 'Your prettiest ship???'
    I find the way a Thread would develop, enjoyable . Reminiscent of the Mess room Chats, round the the Table.Following a hard day's work. pleasant ,Tea-time,Meal.
    Someone ,may Kick off with.the delights of,going ashore in Capetown for example. Half-hr. later,totally unrelated . We'd be passing Cape St Vincent. And the crazy Captain. who ,whilst on the Medi run. would attempt to get as close as possible, saying "the Monks there, would wave to him ,remarking ."There goes that Crazy Captain again" True! I was with him, couple Trips.
    Last edited by Evan Lewis; 8th May 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyJ View Post
    You may be right John, but I have my doubts. The shipowners of today have replaced aesthetics with avarice. An ugly woman dressed in furs and jewellery is still an ugly woman. It may not be a particularly good analogy but if crew members do have fond memories on board in present time I am sure it will be from pleasant experiences rather than admiration of the grotesque Lego monstrosity they are sailing on.
    But Mickey, just as we never worried about how ugly they may have been as long as we got what we wanted, so it goes with passengers on these ships of today.
    The shipping companies of today are no greedier than those we sailed with.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always good to go back to the good years Dave , lots of good times and happy ships with the few bad ones thrown in but even on the odd few baddies i was on there were still good times had on them. We all had our favorites.happy to be there in the years we served, 50s & 60s the best years! i would gladly do it all again. I did 40 years loved every day of it. Cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Charlie show me where to sign and I would be back like a shot mind you getting past the pool doctor might be a problem but then again where there is a will there is a way or is that a relative , it,s been a hundred years ago now since I last stepped aboard a ship seems like it anyhow but I have my work room where I build my ships and take myself back to the golden days of my life and I never fail to thank that old fella long gone now who put the idea of going to sea in my young mind and with regards to my prettiest ship there where so many just as I settle on one like the Blue funnel ships I start to think of the Blue Star boats that I was a boy in and then up pops the last ship of the South American Saint line the Saint Essylt I was AB in her for her last voyage sad really I took it in my stride at the time but what about the mates and engineers who had spent years in the company advancing there careers only to have it all taken away I being an AB just moved on I wish you all well mates Dave .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kurutai View Post
    Charlie show me where to sign and I would be back like a shot mind you getting past the pool doctor might be a problem but then again where there is a will there is a way or is that a relative , it,s been a hundred years ago now since I last stepped aboard a ship seems like it anyhow but I have my work room where I build my ships and take myself back to the golden days of my life and I never fail to thank that old fella long gone now who put the idea of going to sea in my young mind and with regards to my prettiest ship there where so many just as I settle on one like the Blue funnel ships I start to think of the Blue Star boats that I was a boy in and then up pops the last ship of the South American Saint line the Saint Essylt I was AB in her for her last voyage sad really I took it in my stride at the time but what about the mates and engineers who had spent years in the company advancing there careers only to have it all taken away I being an AB just moved on I wish you all well mates Dave .
    ####the old pool doctor in shields was such a plonky ...if you walked in backwards and said thankyou ....he was so pissed he would have thought he had passed you fit ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how many old boys got a mate to take the medical for them just to think I used to walk into KG5 take one look at the board and walk straight out to the pub and back again a couple of hours later same job seemed to look better after a few beers

8. Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kurutai View Post
    back again a couple of hours later same job seemed to look better after a few beers
    Same as the girls in the bar then, although I must say never saw many physically challenged in Cuba and S America even before the beers......memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave talk about passing pool doctor i was put off the pool by him in the old pool, Reason over weight. 22 stone,after a month ashore i went back to him, minus one Stone,he said not enough weight loss, i said to him well how about this then Doc i performed 40 airforce push ups, stood up and said what about that my job is easier to perform than that! He took his form back and gave me another Fit for duty.Job done!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went to see the ships doc, the nurse asked if I was having problems with my lever?
    Then she asked if I had a discharge, thought she was talking about the book!
    So I quoted my number but apparently that was not what she wanted.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 13th May 2017 at 06:02 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, did it hurt when she stamped "Very Good" "Very Good".
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast