Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Your prettiest ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Your prettiest ship

The Cutty Sark, she also had the added bonus she was safe in Dry Dock. No ropes or gangway to worry about. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th September 2016 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi shipmates,Hi J Sabourn, read a story about the cutty sark she was a killer at sea loss many seaman from her rigging in heavy weather she dipped into the waves on rolls?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: #43. No ropes or gangways or fire watch keeper. They were lucky most of the fittings were ashore though it was some mess before the fire was brought under control. The rebuilt version is a matter of taste! She appears to be floating in a sea of glass. I visited her just before fire and would have preferred if she stayed the same. There was concern the vessel would collapse without additional bracing and this was the best plan they had.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    hi shipmates,Hi J Sabourn, read a story about the cutty sark she was a killer at sea loss many seaman from her rigging in heavy weather she dipped into the waves on rolls?
    Cutty Sark was pushed to the limit in the wool race using the winds of the Roaring Forties to best advantage. Can't imagine she would have even slowed down if crew dropped out of the rigging or were washed overboard.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

6. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Read her History 55 years ago when on Honeymoon and on a visit to her and the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. It said the masters she had, had never sailed her full out and don't believe she really won any races. Believe the Thermoplie was the faster sailer. May be wrong as 55 years is a long time ago now. Didn't realize she had been on fire what year was that.?? Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#47. Her history was on the ships side in the main cargo hold in framed sheets of paper inside of glass frames. I may of had other things on my mind at the time and misread. Also remember remarking of the smallness of the naval uniforms at the Maritime Museum during the Nelson era. Nelson himself must have been a very small man to get into his britches as exhibited, even in those days when I was about 6 stone lighter would of had trouble getting one leg into, as for the coats no way. JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #47. Her history was on the ships side in the main cargo hold in framed sheets of paper inside of glass frames. I may of had other things on my mind at the time and misread. Also remember remarking of the smallness of the naval uniforms at the Maritime Museum during the Nelson era. Nelson himself must have been a very small man to get into his britches as exhibited, even in those days when I was about 6 stone lighter would of had trouble getting one leg into, as for the coats no way. JWS

Yes John, the average size in those times was about 30% less than now. There was no obesity and food was not as good as now. Life expectancy was very low particularly for men at sea or in the army. Life was cheap then.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Quartermaine View Post
    Cutty Sark was pushed to the limit in the wool race using the winds of the Roaring Forties to best advantage. Can't imagine she would have even slowed down if crew dropped out of the rigging or were washed overboard.
    Richard
    If you went overboard in all but calm seas you knew you were a dead man , imagine how many seamen were lost that way ,tens of thousands in the last few hundred years I would have thought , no turning a sailing ship round is there !
    but no more inspiring spectacle than a sailing ship in heavy weather .
    Went on Cutty Sark a few months ago " brilliant " even better than I hoped , joe

12. Thanks N/A, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#47, John ,she was set on fire by an unknown lowlife on the 21st may 2007, they were probably protesting against all the money being spent on her preservation , which when looked at in the short term, the money could be put to better use , but now she will be seen by many millions of people in the future ,who will get some idea of what life was like then , and maybe put our own era in the spotlight ?.
    but judging by the bank notes going over the counter the money will be more than repaid , JOE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rod, my prettiest ship would be the mv Pinemore the ugliest for me was the mv Wendover.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast