Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Ghost Ships

I watched a program on Sky TV this morning about Ghost Ships.
    It included the Marie Celeste , a tale I'm sure everyone is familiar with.
    I never knew until today that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a story called 'Ghost Ship 'based on the Marie Celeste and that one of his fictional characaters called Mr J Habakuk Jepherson solved the mystery.
    I then wondered how many seamen out there, not being the supersticious type of people we are, have seen a ghost, at sea or elsewhere.
    I mean seeing one before having consumed that case of beer or bottle of rum.

John Albert Evans

(Sir Arthur was a ships doctor in 1881)

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default U 65

The Haunted Submarine was a German U-Boat called “UB65” built in 1916. Only a week after its launch, mysterious events began to happen. There was an unusually high number of fatal accidents on the sub.

MORE AT: Haunted Submarine | Ghost Ship | Scary For Kids

U-Boat 33: German sub sunk in 1918 threatening to surface in Channel

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1fUWOpi3Q

K.

4. Likes N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question The other side

Hi shipmates Remember that old saying "strange things happen at sea" Its true!!!!

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Remembering Royston Grange:

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hi shipmates Remember that old saying "strange things happen at sea" Its true!!!!
    Worse things happen at sea they say:

Remembering:

S.T.V. Royston Grange

Worse things happen at sea they say, worse things happen at sea,
    In `72 this came true with the tanker `Tien Chee`,
    Within dense fog near the River Plate, she collided with a freighter,
    Crude Oil gushed from shattered tanks exploding seconds later.

The other ship the `Royston Grange ` in fatal rendezvous,
    Lost seventy four razed on her - all passengers and crew,
    Full cargo holds of butter ignited overall,
    Fused in mighty fireball that left no chance at all.

Ten thousand tons of vessel went up in lethal blaze,
    No time then for rescue or warning sound to raise,
    Montevideo close at hand, bodies still entrapped,
    The Houlder`s ship towed away and later on just scrapped.

By the Tower of London in All Hallows Church,
    There is a stained glass window - if carrying out research,
    In commemoration colour with burning red repands,
    Depicting Royston Grange in memory of all hands.

Worse things happen at sea they say,
    Worse things happen at sea.

Capt J S Earl 2005

K.

8. Likes N/A, Lou Barron, Colin Wood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had ghosts at sea and been attacked by one who broke my ankle ON A TANKER I was stone cold sober that trip the ship was a dry one with a 48 days at sea non stop. I will tell you later, Must get ready to watch DADS ARMY starting in a few minutes, Best show on TV.

10. Likes Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know i take the urine now and again but i actually live in a haunted house? nothing scary but when the kids were young an old lady {ghost} would sit on the end of their bed true. some years ago we had visitors to our street and the tenants that lived in our house knocked on our door introduced themselves and we invited them in they started asking questions about the house not wanting to come right out with it i just said oh you mean the old lady? then they started telling my wife and i about the times they lived here the lady used to sit on her younger brothers bed he became the lord mayor of somewhere down south anyway of all the houses i have lived in this is the most peaceful place i have ever lived in and she is most welcome on a footnote i have not had any ale for 15 years and it is a true story. so strange things do happen.john

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is there anybody there?

John sounds like you live in a haunted area.I know a guy that lives in your road (Not Red Lead Ted) another guy.He has told me some of the things that have happend in his house and happen in his house and I believe what he has told me I have no reason to disbelieve him.He had a word with the previous owner and he was well aware of these happenings.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    John sounds like you live in a haunted area.I know a guy that lives in your road (Not Red Lead Ted) another guy.He has told me some of the things that have happend in his house and happen in his house and I believe what he has told me I have no reason to disbelieve him.He had a word with the previous owner and he was well aware of these happenings.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    jim that would be Richy farther down from me i believe there is an old cemetery in star of the sea church yard i am in NO 1 ted is NO 2.JOHN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In January 1975, I flew to San Francisco to join the ESSO YORKSHIRE, my brother was also on it, he having joined in Singapore on the way there.
    As I got to the cabin of the lad who was leaving he said, "You wont get much sleep in here, Its ffing haunted." then he said good bye and went to go in the boat to go ashore. I thought nothing of it.
    The ship was anchored under the Oakland Bay Bridge and then we went up the bay to Benicia for three days while we discharged.
    We then sailed for Ras Tannurah in the Gulf, a 48 day voyage non stop.
    First day at sea on watches it started. I was on the 4 to 8 watch so I was turned in by 2130 that night. Around midnight the light goes on and the door banged. I awoke thinking I had been called until I saw my clock it was midnight not 0330. I got up and went to the mess room and saw the 8 to 12 watch having a tea and a ciggy. "Who called me" I asked, None of us they said no one has left the mess.
    I turned in again till 0330. The next night it happened again, lights on door banging.
    Then the third night, at midnight the lights are turned on and there was a man in a boiler suit but I couldnt see his face, it was a sort of mist. I told him to` Go`away and then turned in again but not happy.
    The next night same thing happens but this faceless man then gets hold of my right foot and twists it round and pulls me out of bed, I am shouting "Yer Ba5tard, who are you" he picked me up as if I was a feather and threw me against the formica bulkhead and I was almost weightless. I hit the bulkhead and fell onto the deck I looked up and he had disapeared.
    I told the Mate about it when I went on watch, he said he had heard of trouble in that cabin but there was nothing he could do. There were no spare cabins as we had a gang of Spaniards on board from Nicoverken, who maintain the ship.
    Then one night my brother saw him in his cabin and this guy went through the adjoing bathroom between the two cabins. Then he heard me screaming and shouting, He legged it up to the mess room and stayed there for a while
    This guy appeared in my cabin got my foot again twisted it round and pulled, I was hanging onto the mattress and the whole lot is pulled of the bed and we land on the deck with a loud crack a bone is broken in my ankle. My cabin was wrecked and I was lying in agony.Brother checks on me and goes and gets the Captain and he was visibly shocked to see the state of the cabin with me lying under the wreckage. I was taken to the sick bay and all he could do was strap it up with elastic bandages and give me pain killers. He said I cannot log this they would not believe it in the Office, I will say you fell down a ladder and busted your ankle. the following day he did an investigation and found that a year ago the man in that cabin had hung himself after getting a Dear John letter from his wife. He was also on the 8 to 12 watch so at midnight when he would have been turning in he would find me in his bunk and then get me out of it.
    I was laid up until we got to Rastan. I did some canvas sewing on day work making winch covers etc. In the evenings I stayed in the messroom until around 0100 before turning in so I didnt see him again.
    I went to hospital in Ras Tannurah and xrayed and it had healed nicely, We sailed back into the Pacific with me on the 4 to 8 watch again and he started performing again at midnight.
    Throwing me around the cabin. we Arrived in Guam and I got a telegram to say my dear old Dad had died and the the haunting stopped as we sailed back to the Gulf and then down to Western Australia.
    I like to think that Dad had a word with him.
    Have a peaceful night
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 4th December 2011 at 12:28 PM.

16. Likes Lou Barron, Peter F Chard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi brian. hoped you enjoyed dads army. it started from scratch alf.

this is not a ghost story but similar.
    we sailed from vitoria(brazil) non stop to gydinia. in the north sea we held a seance in my cabin and i was told i would have a baby daughter on the 12th of march. arrived in gydinia 11th march my birthday. a day or two later an old man in a weird uniform came up the gangway under gaurd waving a paper and saying stewa stewa. i took him to the chief steward and it turned out it was a telegram for me to say i had a baby daughter born on the 12th of march. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

18. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast