Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modern weddings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Modern weddings

There are many who say my sense of humor is a little left field, some may even say sick. But this weekend past the ball and chain and I decided to go up river for a bit of a week end. There was a bit, but there was also a weak end.
    The river up in northern Victoria has a number of towns which still operate river boats and it was at such a town we spent the week end. Weddings on the river boats are very popular and there were three taking place at the time. November in such towns is a lawyers picnic, dozens of weeding, half of which end in divorce. Photo shoots on the river bank are also popular. One couple took off in a horse and cart, but then limousines are so expensive these days.
    It was later in the evening that I saw something which really tickled my imagination, a wedding reception was taking place in the local RSL club where we were having dinner.The bride and groom had arrived, then the bridesmaids. What is odd about that, they were all three dressed in BLACK dresses. I have never seen such a color used in this way before, and no before you ask they were not Moslem's. But then it crossed my sick mind, maybe they knew something we did not, the groom after all was in a mourning suit.Then I got to think about the similarity between weddings and funeral, a church, flowers, people crying, a feed after the service.
    Her indoors says I have to change my thinking, why, I enjoy it the way it is!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have sailed down the River John, the Mighty Murray, around Mildura, Swan hill and so on. on the side wheelers. I didnt see any weddings but I became a member of the Mildura Working Mens club where they have the longest bar in the world, 300 feet,
    Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john. nothing wrong with a black wedding mate. they probably knew it would end in divorce so got it over with. haha.
    brian there are a couple of long bars in the uk. one in dagenham 300feet, and one in southend right at the bottom of the hill onto the sea front also 300 feet. this was cut and divided into two seperate pubs, i used to drink in there regularly, can't remember what they were called.alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alf in 1995, the Mildura Working Mens Club advertised that they had the worlds longest Bar. I had visions of a bar 300 feet in length in a straight line. and imagined walking in there with a Bar Maid 300 feet away and trying to ask for a pint.
    I must admit I was disapointed, the bar was snaked around several times to make the 300 feet.
    I have also read that there are other bars in the world that can even beat the 300 feet.

Just found this on Wikpedia,
    .Mildura Working Man's Club, Mildura, Victoria, Australia. (1945)
    Length of bar was 287ft.

Cheers Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 21st November 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Gentleman, nothing could beat the "Downham Tavern" in South East London circa 1963 it had the biggest bar area and was supposed to be the biggest pub in the world.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well according to WIkipedia

The longest bar in the world is 684 feet or about 208.5 meters long and is located at the New Bulldog in Rock Island, Illinois (U.S.)
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is one long bar.
    imagine standing at one end and the bartender is at the other, and trying to get served.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rattle the loose chnge , that used to get the barman's attention
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question weddings

Hi Shipmate that could be the longest bar? in the world The shortest was on a ship cant remember the name but it had a troop of actors on it doing moby dick the play, with all the effects in Southampton docks a few years ago {The Tall ships were in the docks} The bar was in the funnel , the beer was black sheep in bottles cant recall much else too many whiskey, not enough water, Happy john in oz, Weddings in black? I been to funerals with no black allowed, No God talk, and only modern songs and a folk one music and poems a pagan one she was put in a wicker basket buried in the woods {Green funeral,} Weddings cost to much today so many couples live B.O.T. in Cardiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alf corbyn View Post
    hi john. nothing wrong with a black wedding mate. they probably knew it would end in divorce so got it over with. haha.
    brian there are a couple of long bars in the uk. one in dagenham 300feet, and one in southend right at the bottom of the hill onto the sea front also 300 feet. this was cut and divided into two seperate pubs, i used to drink in there regularly, can't remember what they were called.alf
    Alf mate you got it first time, they were called pubs nad they sold beer.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast