Thread: Its hard up North

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Its hard up North

In the early 70's I was resitting my 2nd Mates (failed 1st time round, first time ashore in years and wine women and song seemed more important than study) when a pal of mine who I had met on my 1st attempt at 2nd Mates who I regretfully lost touch with when he emigrated to Aus with his Aussie wife, (so Kenneth D ex. shell and Bank Line, if you ever read this get in contact).phoned me up. He was standing by a new Bank Line ship being built in Sunderland and on board there was a cadet from the East End of London who was forever going on about how hard the pubs where he lived were and that up north we were all a bunch of pansies, actually drinking lager and not real beer (cannot think how he classed Fullers as real beer..knats pizz more like it) and even the women where he came from were "hard". This had got on my pals wick so much that he said why dont we take him for a troll round the dives of South and North Shields. Any excuse for a pizz up so I quickly agreed.
    We started off in the Ferry Tavern in South Shields. After a few beers our East End Cadet said he fancied a bit of music so off to the jukebox he went, where one of the regular ladies was standing. One seeing what choice of record he was about to select she asked him to select a different one as she did not like his choice. He said no as he did not like her choice. Her response was to pull a knife on him and tell him in no uncertain terms that if he did not put her choice on she would stick the knife in his leg. Slightly shaken he agreed.
    As this had created a bit of attention (loud London voice etc.) and a number of other regulars were starting to take an unhealthy interest in us we decided to leave and head for North Shields. After a few more beers in places around the fish quay (Lower Dolphin etc.) we ended up in the Jungle, well pizzed by this time.
    Here again the London lad decided he wanted to hear some of his favourite music, so he went up to the DJ who was a huge Negro and asked him if he had anything by Rod Stewert and would he play it. The D.J.'s response was to pull out a sawn off shotgun, point it at the lad and tell him that as he had been in there the previous night causing trouble he had better pizz off quick or else. Like a fool he tried to protest his innocence but as by now he was attracting even more unhealthy attention than in the Ferry, my mate and me grabbed him and made a swift exit via the emergency exit before things got really bad.
    By this time the poor lad was really shakenup and all he wanted was to get back to the ship in Sunderland so we piled him in a taxi and sent him off whilst we went on to enjoy some of Whitley Bays night spots.
    Apparantley after that night he shut up about us up North being pansies and how hard the folks in the East End were... cannot think why.
    If it had been a few years later when "Get Carter" came out perhaps his ideas would have changed before we had to introduce him to a fairly normal night on the pizz in South and North Shields......Heaven knows what would have happened should we have taken him on a tour of certain areas of Newcastle.
    P.S. Passed at the second attempt and never left the North East.
    p.p.s The "hard" London cadet could not hold his drink, puked up in the taxi on the way home and had to pay a hefty extra fee.

brgds
    Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Capt, brought up in Durham City, so know what you are talking about.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi John,

I enjoyed your story, mate, but why does it seem that any story emanating from the Tyne or La Pool has to have a cockney scapegoat (stop it Roger, you're just being oversensitive as usual). I am aware that lads from the Scottish Islands, Liverpool and the Tyne have earned a reputation for being good seaman, and not without some justification, but I would like it known that I sailed with some Cockney A.B.'s that were damned fine seamen also. In my opinion Watermen (boatmen and bargees) on the Thames were/are second to none. Having said all that, I will confirm what some may suspect.....yes, my father and grandfather were both born in Mile End, London, and you know what, I'm not a bit ashamed of it.............good story though, John.

........................Roger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All seamen where hard when they had to be no matter where they came from. They had to be hard to stick up for their part of the country. I think that is why the British MN was so unique because there was such a mix of folk from all over the British Isles sailing in the main in close harmony.

Never saw a difference abroad either, when any British seaman was threatened by foreign locals or other foreign seamen, it was always ' all for one ' and one for all ' no matter where you came from in the UK.

Chris
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Its hard up North

Dearie me
    I hope I have not started off a raging north versus south debate. I was only saying that this one particular individual had a thing against us up North.
    Myself I don't really care where you come from in the U.K. (except perhaps Liverpool...joke) so long as you are honest and trustworthy.
    I had some great times in London in the late 60's drinking round the Isle of Dogs, Canning Town etc. etc whilst we were berthed in Vic docks, even sampled the lights of London at Ronnie Scotts Club and a couple of other famous night spots of the 60's and early 70's.
    I also sailed with London based crews who were real gems and who invited me into thir homes, well locals really.
    So sorry, was not trying to put any downers on any East Ender gent, just this one guy.

brgds
    Capt. John Arton(ret'd)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,

I did not, for one minute, think you were having a general dig at Londoners. My comment was meant as a light-hearted observation rather than any objection to the content of your post. I apologise for any misunderstanding I may have caused. If it's any consolation, I too have met a few from down 'sarf' I'd be reluctant to pee on if they were on fire, but only a few mind

...............regards, Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Its hard everywhere pet

Hi shipmates, Hi John. A few years back on the iron ore wagons I spent many a happy hour in the pubs and clubs in {The North} I found The people to be very friendly and the young ladys. There was only one probelm at first the accent but you soon get the hang of it,After a few pints of newcastle brown or exibition everyone sounds the same {The North} is a great place for any welshman.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand that a pub, The Pool Inn, well frequented by the membership who served in Iron Ore Carriers and running into the Bidston Dock (Wallasey) has now closed and the building demolished. Further, the Bidston Dock itself has been infilled. I am sure you will remember that dock Louis.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down Gone to cheap labour countries

Hi Shipmates, Hi Captain bill, I may have been there a few times? in my dim and dark passed life at sea, Sorry to hear about the sad ending of a fine dock and the pub, The steel mills and many jobs have been lost, allmost all gone now in the industrial parts of the U.K some of us who were part of the Iron ore trade, at the boom time still can remember the good times in All the Northern ports and the great ale.