Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen mary?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Has anyone seen mary?

Those of us who served with the Lavender Ladies, and indeed some other companies, will recall that there were other 'ladies' on board. Not real ladies but never the less in their own mind they were no less female than a real lady. They were never a trouble to any other crew member who did not wish to be involved with them. Mainly they were good workers finding work mainly in first class as wingers.
    Mary as he/she preferred to be known was one such person. A little on the eccentric side but liked by all who met he,r be they gay or normal, such was the personality of Mary. The bloods loved her, she was the master of make up often outdoing anything any of the ladies in the first class dinning saloon. Her choice in perfume was something else we heard and choice of wigs outstanding. Some of the female bloods would take bets on what colored wig would appear each night, would Mary be a Red head, Blondie, Auburn or maybe a bit Blue. Many of the female bloods would swap perfumes and cosmetics with Mary and most would call her Mary once they realized the situation. Dusty the head waiter was expected to keep standards but with Mary it was very hard, and as she was so popular with the female bloods he often turned a blind eye.
    The head chef at the time was a guy by the name of Alves, and he Had an inherit dislike for all Gay's saying they should be put down at birth. Apart from that he was a bit on the mad side and when in a bad mood, which appeared to be most of the time, pots and pans would fly, literally.
    He disliked them to the extent that when ever he could he would do physical harm to them. He had a few favorite 'tricks' he would try on them. Plates for cold service he would put in the freezer handing them one with his end in a cloth so that the plate would then stick to the wingers hand. Then silver salvers under the salamander until they were almost at the point of melting telling the unsuspecting winger they were not hot, then roaring with laughter when they burned their fingers on them. He really was a nasty piece of work.
    He had more than an ordinary dislike for Mary and did all he could to make life hell for her. On one occasion pouring hot gravy over the back of her hand when picking up a salver of roast beef, said he misjudged where the beef was.
    Mary had one very good friend on board, Barbara was on the switch board and very sympathetic toward Mary. It was rumored that the two spent many hours together and that Barbara was also gay but it was just a rumor.
    At nights Mary would often be seen on the well deck outside the Pig talking with an AB and again the rumors flowed, this was obviously her lover, why else would they spend so much time together. Most nights leaving the Pig we would see them there nad it was so common that on the odd night they were not there raised more comments than when they were.
    All the way outbound we had seen them and homeward bound was the same for most of the voyage. The popularity of Mary with the bloods had reached such a point that the Chief steward had spoken to Dusty informing him that something must be done about the situation. Annie Oakley was the skipper at the time, so called for his surname and nothing else. He was a fair captain and the majority of the crew had respect for him. He was a bit Humpty backed having spent a number of days in a life boat during WW2 while in the Royal Navy when the ship he was on was hit by a German destroyer.
    The word was that one of the female bloods got to meet him and told him Mary was being persecuted by the Chief Steward. From that day no more was said to Dusty about Mary. None of us knew just how much of this was fact, and how much rumor but Mary continued to do her bit for the bloods. Alves was still making life for Mary and all the other gay wingers really tough and it appeared no one could do much about it.
    Monday night after leaving Madeira Mary and the AB were again seen on the well deck talking as usual and we all just took that for normal. Tuesday night and Mary was on the well deck alone, couple of the lads passed the comment,' Hey Mary,where is he tonight, got a bit somewhere else'? Mary just laughed and we went on our way.
    It was next morning and all catering crew turned to as normal, nothing odd going on apparently until one of the first class wingers said,' Any one seen Mary'? Mary was missing so some of the wingers went to look for her. Not to be seen anywhere so a message was sent to the skipper. It was assumed Mary had gone over the wall. The last person as far as we knew to see Mary was the master at arms on his rounds, that was after midnight. But one single shoe, believed to belong to Mary, had been found on the deck of the well deck just outside the Pig.
    The ship was turned and for two hours we steamed back over the sea, no sign of Mary. Finally the skipper concluded that Mary had gone over the wall and was lost at sea.
    That night the AB was again seen on the well deck looking out to sea. He looked so distressed that a couple of the lads went to speak with him. What he told them left them in a state of shock.
    No he was not the lover of Mary as many he had heard say he was. He was the half brother to Mary, two fathers, same mother hence the different surnames. They had decided one they realized they were on the same ship not to say anything to any other crew member about it. It later transpired that Barbara on the switch board knew but told no one. It also turned out she was not gay, but for some reason Mary had taken a liking to her. Barbara was back next voyage but not the AB.
    Have since heard of other cases of crew going over the wall and it makes me wonder just how many and for what reason?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    I sailed with a lot of " Ladies " as such over many years and found them to be very Nice People, they did not bother you (unless you wished), I had many a good friend who was a lady, in fact I found them to be very trustworthy, apart from the odd bit of shipboard gossip that is, but hey thats life.
    Graham R774640

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started my M N career on Union Castle Mailships sailing out of my Homeport of Southampton as a Deck Boy. I became friends with many of the Union Castle "Queens". They were very good people with a great sense of humour. They seem to instinctively know if you weren't interested in "that" and left you alone.They would however sit on the Foredeck and chat with you. With absolutely no of intention of trying"it on". In later years,after I had come ashore,my Brother(who had never been to sea,) and I quite often on Saturday night would go down to the Juniper Berry to watch the great performance the Union Castle and Cunard "Queens" always put on. I'm sure that many of you will know which Port the "Juni" was in. The pub is still there under the same name.No parade of "Queens"anymore,unfortunately.
    Last edited by Colin Hawken; 2nd July 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If my memory is correct was there a pub in the High Street called the Queens , After the Cunard Queens , that was well frequented by the " Sisterhood " . Again if my memory is still working , did one of the UCL skippers tell teh pool he did not want any more of the men of doubtful sex to sign on , which resulted in a Thursday night panic to get a full crew , I think that was in the early 1970's
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ucl

Hi, I remember the queens parade on the fore deck in the evenings on the Stirling castle: i was a young JOS, and it was all a bit strange, but as you say they left us well alone. Two i remember if my memory has any mileage left in it was Pagan and Jane, this was the late 1958-59.

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Queens in the High Street is long gone like so many good pubs.It was a Bass house and served the finest pint of Draught Bass for miles around.I don't know of a local pub that sells Draught Bass now.One of the great beers of the World.Unlike the Lager and keg stuff you get today.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith.I did my first trip on the Stirling Castle as a Deck Boy in 1949. The star Queens then were Joburg Lil and Widow Twanky,an aging Queen. The Skipper was Captain Page and the Chief Officer was the dreaded "Swiveleye" Lloyd. Second Mate was Tommy Cable.Truly an Officer and a Gentleman.

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    Did just the one trip on the Edinburgh Castle in 1955,was in
    a cabin,sleeping 6 or 8,cant remember which.There was me
    and my mate Dennis Holland from Swansea,the rest were all
    "Queens",great shipmates,used to do all our washing and ironing
    and cleaning.

Dave Williams

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed on the Iberia with one by the name of Blossom.
    Four of us in our cabin were having a bevie one night, Rum as I recall.
    I was well loaded and turned in on the top bunk.
    As it turned out, Blossom came by later for a visit and was sitting on the bunk below me.
    I chose that time to spew all over her.
    Years later we met on the Aragon. Surprisingly enough we had a good laugh about it.
    Never did come by my cabin though!!
    Den.

17. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    If my memory is correct was there a pub in the High Street called the Queens , After the Cunard Queens , that was well frequented by the " Sisterhood " . Again if my memory is still working , did one of the UCL skippers tell teh pool he did not want any more of the men of doubtful sex to sign on , which resulted in a Thursday night panic to get a full crew , I think that was in the early 1970's
    Rob, I recall hearing something about that from a mte of mine who lived in Soton at the time. Have heard of a couple of other companies saying similar but have not been able to confirm.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

19. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast