Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone seen mary?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tyndell View Post
    Hi, I remember the queens parade on the fore deck in the evenings on the Stirling castle: i was a young JOS, and it was all a bit strange, but as you say they left us well alone. Two i remember if my memory has any mileage left in it was Pagan and Jane, this was the late 1958-59.
    Somewhere in the Gallery under people and places there is a photo taken on the Stirling in the 60's I believe. It is of a group of the 'ladies' in all their finery.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Has anyone seen Mary, reply

Hi shipmates, I only ever sailed with 1 ( he she or it ) person who"s proud boast was she acted in the film "The Dancing Years" thats how long ago it was, However i must say she kept my cabin absoulutly spotless, she was very pleasant to talk to although its not my scene so i never held her hand!!! believe me. Eddie Grant

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mary

I have just read the above thread, and feel sory for Mary. Why cannot people leave other persons alone that are a bit different than them... I am freindly with a family, and the male keeps on about Gays. My nephew is Gay, and when we invited him to our 40th wedding anniversary all he could talk about was " I am going home if they start kissing", This reminded me of that Cook. I was at sea for 21 years and some of my friends were Gay, and they were some of the nice persons that you could meet. I wish that I could turn back the years, and see some of them again. Sorry that letter got to me. Take care...... Terry

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes John Gill, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wilcox View Post
    I have just read the above thread, and feel sory for Mary. Why cannot people leave other persons alone that are a bit different than them... I am freindly with a family, and the male keeps on about Gays. My nephew is Gay, and when we invited him to our 40th wedding anniversary all he could talk about was " I am going home if they start kissing", This reminded me of that Cook. I was at sea for 21 years and some of my friends were Gay, and they were some of the nice persons that you could meet. I wish that I could turn back the years, and see some of them again. Sorry that letter got to me. Take care...... Terry
    The saddest part is that some of them went to sea to avoid prosceution and percecution. Most lived a fairly happy life but there were no doubt a number like Mary who suffered from something that they wee born with, and to those who do not like them I would say be happy, you are what you call normal.
    That chef was the only person I recall who took such actions against the likes of Mary, but had a cheif steward on NZSC who thought they were the Devils spawn and was not afarid to say so. Thankfully todays society is a little more tolerant.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 5th July 2011 at 06:54 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes John Gill, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john. a great story and a reflection of how some of them were treated. i used to enjoy talking to them and found them very knowledgable and talented. most could put on a good show and when they were dressed up it was hard to tell them from a woman. a lot of the ones from upper class families were paid by thier family to stay away from home. it was a shame really as they were mostly females trapped in a male body. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

10. Likes John Gill, Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink the ladies

Quote Originally Posted by alf corbyn View Post
    hi john. a great story and a reflection of how some of them were treated. i used to enjoy talking to them and found them very knowledgable and talented. most could put on a good show and when they were dressed up it was hard to tell them from a woman. a lot of the ones from upper class families were paid by thier family to stay away from home. it was a shame really as they were mostly females trapped in a male body. alf
    We always had a few on the rangi boats and shaw saville but the most vivid memory I have of them was on the Rangitoto 1962 We were coming up the chanel near southampton heading for Albert docks when we got boarded by special branch detectives who took away our neighbour still in drag but minus wig.
    We found out later that he/she was involved with vassal the russian involved in the Profumo scandal but I
    dont think there was any convictions at the end of it. We all felt sorry for him getting dragged off in cuffs and wearing a big crinolene dress, guess he should have been more careful who he slept with.
    You do get to see some sights in the merch.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes John Gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Has anyone seen mary?

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Somewhere in the Gallery under people and places there is a photo taken on the Stirling in the 60's I believe. It is of a group of the 'ladies' in all their finery.
    I uploaded that Pic some time ago John, i cannot seem to find it now .
    Will have to have a look in my Files ,i do have it somewhere! Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did three trips as waiter on the Capetown late fifties, paid off virgo intacto.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    Did three trips as waiter on the Capetown late fifties, paid off virgo intacto.
    Lucky boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2