Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can you help with this very worthwhile project?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can you help with this very worthwhile project?

I have been struggling with this all morning, nearly 4 hours,
    Nothing happens, I can play the DVD but it is not saving it, tried into a Memory stick , nothing happens.
    Tried it on my lap top as well , nothing happens.
    I have a few problems with both computers.

Maybe Ron Manderson could help, he used to have a copy of the DVD off Bob.
    Cheers
    Brian

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Capt
    Here is an easier way
    You have Windows 10 Go to Windows Accesorries Select in Dropdown List Windows Media Player
    Now click on the Burn and follow steps,
    Don't forget to have the Original DVD in the drive and a spare Blank DVD Handy for later,
    Its really easy
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Captain Kong, Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon
    I have been trying again , No Dice.

I have been having a lot of problems with this computer recently and my step son who is a """" ????computer expert????""""
    Had it for a few days and it is now totally confusing, a lot of things I had on it have disappeared and a lot of new stuff has appeared,
    I play the DVD and there is no where to Save it, That program you sent to me does not exist on my computer,
    He has gone to London on business today but when he returns in a couple of days I will nail him.

So at the moment the only way is to send the DVD to someone who can do it and return the disc to me again or Ron Manderson has or had a copy off Bob and he is an expert on such things, He recently copied my interview on BBC TV from Video tape to DVD, for me.,
    The DVD is great, it was made by Russians, it has English subtitles, but it shows film of the war on the Arctic Convoys, from the german side, British films and Russion . Ships under constant attack by submarine, surface ships and Junkers Dive bombers, on Convoy PQ17 that was ordered to disperse by Admiral; Dudley Pound. Total chaos for the Seamen. Then the Russians find after the war the location of the ships that were sunk, using under water cameras and other technology,n and then the Veterans, from Britain, Canada and the USA, are feted as Heroes in Murmansk , taken out to the Berents Sea to where their old ships rest and able to cast wreaths over them. with a large tot of Visky. A very unusual film, not your usual TV film,
    Well worth watching and keeping. The Russians really loved these men.

Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 3rd December 2018 at 11:18 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re;request from Hugh Sebag- Montefiore

I am trying to imagine how H.S.M. would make contact with, ‘The men themselves’ The War finished in 1945; 73 years ago and an 18 year old then would be at least 91 years old now.

As for, ’Vivid accounts of ships being damaged….or photographs of these incidents.’ I used to ask my Dad why he had not taken any photographs during the War.; several reasons. 1. It wasn’t allowed. 2. He didn’t have a camera and 3. Men were too busy working the ship to be taking photographs. You will notice that all the published photos have been taken from RN Ships – not Merchant Vessels. MoD approved War photographers.

Richard Woodman has written an excellent account of the Arctic Convoys, published in 1994. Richard had a long Naval (RN) Career of 37 years, having joined as a 16 year old Midshipman and rising to the rank of Captain where he was 11 years in command. He sailed with survivors of PQ17 and through their stories became fascinated with the Arctic campaign. ‘Arctic Convoys 1941-1945’ is a splendid read. He covers all aspects of that theatre of War. I really recommend it.

I am sure that Hugh Sebag- Montefiore is a good writer. His C.V. is as a Barrister and Journalist. In 2015 I contacted the Producer of the Jeremy Clarkson programme (via this site) to give assistance to the Arctic Convoy story of PQ17. He very deliberately omitted to say that although 153 men perished, 533 were rescued. When challenged he said, ‘I was trying to tell a linear story.’ Whatever THAT meant ! Then last year, there was a request from a Researcher – again via this site- concerning the making of a film about the War and the Arctic Convoys. When I questioned her about the film she was very vague. Eventually, she admitted that her Boss had asked her to do some research for the final chapter of his book…..

I have a mountain of notes about the Arctic Convoys and a ‘ blow-by-blow account of the 5-day battle PQ18 in September 1942, written by Dad’s Chief Radio Officer, Horace Bell, as he collected all the radio messages that the ship (Copeland) received. So, an accurate and unique account of the battle. Currently, I am photocopying and scanning this material for a photobook for our three daughters. Then, on Richard Woodman’s advice, my Dad’s stuff will go to the Imperial War Museum for the benefit of future historians.

I hope that this doesn’t sound too mean-spirited. I now feel once bitten, twice shy and I’m not at all happy with journalistic pick and mix.

Sorry to sound so negative. I wish HSM success in his venture.

Regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brenda,
    If I ever get copies of this DVD from Russia I will let you have one if you want one. there are many genuine films of the battles and the names of the ships in the action and those that were sunk.
    and also the men who survived the sinkings, possibly men who were saved by your father.

Bob my friend, who gave me the DVD died about ten years ago.so do not know how he was resc
    ued.

I have been trying all day to no avail.,

there is no way I can copy a DVD on This computer. I am going demented,
    SHE is giving me a hard time for doing nothing around the house she had plans for,

Cheers
    Brian.

PS. is this Historian Hugh Sebag-Montefiore Kosher? or is he in it to make a few Bob for himself . Just curious. as I am having a hard time at the moment.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 3rd December 2018 at 05:36 PM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, Brian. That's very kind of you.

I'm sure that HSM is ok and that HarperCollins has asked him to write the Arctic story. If you look him up he has written several books - ' Dunkirk' being one of them. My point about Richard Woodman is he knows what it is like to be on a ship, feel sick, taste the salt etc. He is a RN man but I must say that he is very even-handed and his accounts of the Arctic Convoys and the Merchant Navy are very well-researched. He wrote his book in 1994 so was still in contact with some who were actively engaged in warfare. I mentioned that he sailed with men who had been with PQ17 . You can get his book on Amazon - really good read.

regards

Brenda

11. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good News,

The lad who lives next door to me said he would copy the DVD of the Russian Convoys
    So I will send one to Brian P. and one to Brenda,
    I still do not know how to put it on the site. maybe Brian can do it.

He said he would be able to do it after next week , so I am going off in the morning to Sunny Fleetwood for a few days until next weekend so that is OK.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a DVD from Home - Snowbow Productions Maritime Film Archive called "The Worst Journey in the World" with footage from the Arctic Convoys and the cruise we did to Murmansk with the veterans, it costs £17.95.
    There are 44 DVD's of Merchant ships etc in the hey day of the Merchant Navy all at £17.95 and a 3 for 2 offer.

James Fleming

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2