Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fancy a trip on a cargo ship...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fancy a trip on a cargo ship...

Heaven - a trip on a cargo ship with no work or responsibility.

Have a look at this website but beware, no alcohol on these ships:

Travellers Club - Voyages en Cargo by CMA CGM - Project Cargo Weekly
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fancy a trip on a cargo ship...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) View Post
    Heaven - a trip on a cargo ship with no work or responsibility.

Have a look at this website but beware, no alcohol on these ships:

Travellers Club - Voyages en Cargo by CMA CGM - Project Cargo Weekly
    ##the idea brian is a dream ....but sadly seeing the containers towering above all ....is i think an old tramp ships man a nightmare......but that is just my view ...others may love the idea ....but not many on this seamans site i would think .....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was ch. off. On a cargo passenger ship in 1967 for 10 months, general cargo and sometimes horses on deck. A dozen passengers running from Montreal and round the BWI. The biggest problem was the passengers. They caused more problems than the horses on deck. Their passage fees were supposedly to pay our wages, so just had to grin and bear it. To me a ship is built to carry cargo from A to B the first thing that was told at 15. For those who liked passenger ships the best of luck to them , I find it hard to look at them and to consider them as cargo. Today’s so called cruise liners always remind me of a floating Butlins holiday camp.... JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of friends of mine have travelled on the ACL ships from and to Liverpool as passengers and thought it wonderful. They said it was peace and quiet, with a great crew, no crowds of vomiting passengers complaining about this and that. Personal service, good accommodation, clean and tidy and thoroughly well looked after. Very enjoyable. I must admit it attracts me rather than the suffocation of a crowded Norovirus ridden cruise ship.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Brian no alcohol...…………………………. That would explain the empty deck lounger I suppose
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just read it.
    No one allowed over 77.
    no Bar or alcohol.
    Alongside a container berth for 6 hours, cabin surrounded by containers, not a lot of deck space , I would consider it rather boring
    Officers probably all French, ee aw, ee aw.

I am off in 8 weeks on a world cruise for two and a half months, on the Amsterdam, a small cruise ship, only 850 passengers, been on it three times, same passengers there again. many old friends. superb itinerary. via paradise. Excellent meals, wine with dinner, British Master, Captain Jonathon Mercer, eX U,C.L
    He spent four days in a lifeboat when the `Good Hope Castle` burned, and landed at Ascension Island. So Very Experienced,
    Other Officers are a mix of British and Dutch. so they do know what they are doing.
    We sail from Fort Lauderdale Fla. to Columbia, San Blas Islands, through Panama and stay in Panama City, then to ports in Ecuador, Peru, incuding a flight up tp Czco from Lima, then a train and bus up the Andes to the lost city , Machu Pichu on a 3 day trip, , then ports in Chile, across to Easter Island where the giant statues are, been last time , fascinating, then to Pitcairns Island to meet an old friend , Jacqui Christian, grt grt grt grand daughter of Fletcher, On then to Tahiti to see my many friends there, and Moorea and Bora Bora, known as the most beautiful Island in the world,
    On the Nuku-alofa, Tonga, friends there, then four ports in New Zealand to see more friends there, , four ports in Australia, to see more friends and relatives there, Sydney to Darwin, to see the Jumping Crocodiles again , then Komodo to see the dragons, Bali and then get off in Singapore to see my son and family who will be on holiday there and more friends waiting , have a week in a hotel there then fly home Club Class.
    That would beat any french container ship.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 2nd November 2018 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After i retired my son asked me if i fancied a trip back to sea,I jumped at the idea so he arranged it for me.He came up to Liverpool and took me aboard the Cast Privilege and introduced me to the captain,full Croatian crew.I lived in the owners cabin,nice big cabin with en-suite.I had a fridge in the cabin which was stocked with soft drinks and fruit and of course beer,they would put six beers a night in if I would've drank it but the fact it was free I would not abuse it,have two a night then one night have six,I wish i could've bought it.Very good menu picked tomorrows meal today,T Bone steak,Gammon steak,Pizza and Fish,they did not have fried breakfast but i used to go into the galley and make myself a cheese omelette or whatever.Spent most of my time on the bridge I would go up there anytime during the night if i woke up.Really enjoyed my time on the bridge going into Antwerp and the run up and down the St.Lawrence was fantastic,been up and down there many time but never seen it properly as was always working inboard that was.Enjoyed two runs ashore in Antwerp one to that beautiful village not far from the container berth and the second day a colleague of my son came down to the ship and we had a good day out in Antwerp centre.Just to be up on the bridge looking out to sea as you are ploughing your way across the Atlantic Ocean is enjoyment in itself.One of my sons colleagues came down to the ship the first day in Montreal and ran me into town,had a good look around all the places we used to frequent to see how things had changed,Liverpool House,Joe Beef's the Mission CPR berth etc and of course a walk up the St Laurent Blvd to St.Catherine,a couple of beers here and there.Second day a Croatian friend of my son from the office came down to the ship and gave me a great run ashore,met some great people in this bar from many countries who were all involved in the shipping trade.So tobe honest the containers did'nt affect me in anyway,my cabin had an outside window and looking forward from the bridge looking at the tops of containers is not much different than looking out at a for'deck.All in all a most enjoyable trip which did'nt cost me a penny,I think that i was on there on the QT. tobe honest.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice one Jim, that sounds to me like a great gift from your son, amazing

9. Thanks Jim Brady thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Just read it.
    No one allowed over 77.
    no Bar or alcohol.
    Alongside a container berth for 6 hours, cabin surrounded by containers, not a lot of deck space , I would consider it rather boring
    Officers probably all French, ee aw, ee aw.

I am off in 8 weeks on a world cruise for two and a half months, on the Amsterdam, a small cruise ship, only 850 passengers, been on it three times, same passengers there again. many old friends. superb itinerary. via paradise. Excellent meals, wine with dinner, British Master, Captain Jonathon Mercer, eX U,C.L
    He spent four days in a lifeboat when the `Good Hope Castle` burned, and landed at Ascension Island. So Very Experienced,
    Other Officers are a mix of British and Dutch. so they do know what they are doing.
    We sail from Fort Lauderdale Fla. to Columbia, San Blas Islands, through Panama and stay in Panama City, then to ports in Ecuador, Peru, incuding a flight up tp Czco from Lima, then a train and bus up the Andes to the lost city , Machu Pichu on a 3 day trip, , then ports in Chile, across to Easter Island where the giant statues are, been last time , fascinating, then to Pitcairns Island to meet an old friend , Jacqui Christian, grt grt grt grand daughter of Fletcher, On then to Tahiti to see my many friends there, and Moorea and Bora Bora, known as the most beautiful Island in the world,
    On the Nuku-alofa, Tonga, friends there, then four ports in New Zealand to see more friends there, , four ports in Australia, to see more friends and relatives there, Sydney to Darwin, to see the Jumping Crocodiles again , then Komodo to see the dragons, Bali and then get off in Singapore to see my son and family who will be on holiday there and more friends waiting , have a week in a hotel there then fly home Club Class.
    That would beat any french container ship.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Well fingers crossed Brian that the other 848 passengers on your cruise are not all French, now that would be a cruise from hell.

11. Thanks Bill Cameron thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

I would think as ex/retired seafarers it would be interesting for those who have not been to sea for many many years to experience to changes that have taken place within our industry. Not for me though as have I have sailed on every class of ship out there during my 40+years at sea, apart from passenger ships. I just never fancied them.

13. Likes Jim Brady, j.sabourn, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast