Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Silver Lines Shipping Company!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: May be incorrect context!

Hi Doc I sailed on the MV Silvercrag a bulk carrier in 1959. I also sailed on the MV Shief Field another bulk carrier, I get the ports mixed up which ship I was on but here are places visited; Wabana in Canada, Bone Algeria, La Gaulette in Tunisia, Vitoria Brazil, Casablanca Morocco returning to UK ports Immingham, Birkenhead, Middlesbrough and so on. In Bone, during the Arab attacks on the French, they targeted cafes and bars. We visited a bar I think it was called either 'Charlies Bar' or it was owned by a former matelot called Charlie. He was on the French battleship that took part in hunting the Bismark with the RN. Anyway, the week after our visit to the bar it was blown up by terrorists killing many patrons. PC 710198

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Copley View Post
    Hi Doc I sailed on the MV Silvercrag a bulk carrier in 1959. I also sailed on the MV Shief Field another bulk carrier, I get the ports mixed up which ship I was on but here are places visited; Wabana in Canada, Bone Algeria, La Gaulette in Tunisia, Vitoria Brazil, Casablanca Morocco returning to UK ports Immingham, Birkenhead, Middlesbrough and so on. In Bone, during the Arab attacks on the French, they targeted cafes and bars. We visited a bar I think it was called either 'Charlies Bar' or it was owned by a former matelot called Charlie. He was on the French battleship that took part in hunting the Bismark with the RN. Anyway, the week after our visit to the bar it was blown up by terrorists killing many patrons. PC 710198
    sailed on the sheaf field 62 ...a full shields and jarrow crowd ,,,,good ship good feeder plenty overtime a proper change from old bangers R683532

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Peter Copley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for me the aldersgate was the best vessel i sailed in ....great feeder ...great crowd ...all welsh on second trip out of newport ...overtime galore own accom i believe all hands and a good sea vessel in north atlantic december ...cappy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    for me the aldersgate was the best vessel i sailed in ....great feeder ...great crowd ...all welsh on second trip out of newport ...overtime galore own accom i believe all hands and a good sea vessel in north atlantic december ...cappy
    dec 1960

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Doc cast your mind back a few weeks, I got some mileage on the Nautical Quiz with this little lady.Silver Kestrel.jpg

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Silver Lines Shipping Company!

Trying to get the grey cells functioning again. Silver Line ? did they not also operate an Airline in the 50's & 60's called Silver city airways. I think they just operated around the UK and Europe. Maybe I am even more confused these days was there not also a tie up with Court line. It all went pear shape due to Court Line getting into debt. There was a famous incident in Canada? when the Crew of a Court line ship ? slipped her moorings and did a runner ? I thought Silver line & Court line became the one entity. But as said it does not cause much to have me confused at the moment sorry if I am talking rubbish, my usual talking rubbish will be resumed in a few days.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Silver Lines Shipping Company!

Lewis if I recall there was an airline of that name somewhere in the States.

But it could well have also been one of those early ones when overseas travel in the form of package holidays came about in the 60's.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6