Thread: silver Line Info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default silver Line Info

To anyone that is interested in Silver line history, I have an amazing'ly historical book written by the last owner of the company, (My cousin) Martin Barraclough.
    It is called Looking for the Silver Lining....
    A British family's shipowning centrury 1875-1975. The book was published in 2008. and contains photographs and lists and histories of all the ships; The troubles and losses of the ships in the 1st and 2nd world wars and
    various anecdotal stories from a few persons who sailed with them. If anyone is interested in particular or general information about this company please send me a specific enquiry.
    Cheers,
    and Happy Christmas to all members
    Colin Meiklejohn

2. Thanks Dudley Benfield thanked for this post
    Likes Colin Wood liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: silver Line Info

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Meiklejohn View Post
    To anyone that is interested in Silver line history, I have an amazing'ly historical book written by the last owner of the company, (My cousin) Martin Barraclough.
    It is called Looking for the Silver Lining....
    A British family's shipowning centrury 1875-1975. The book was published in 2008. and contains photographs and lists and histories of all the ships; The troubles and losses of the ships in the 1st and 2nd world wars and
    various anecdotal stories from a few persons who sailed with them. If anyone is interested in particular or general information about this company please send me a specific enquiry.
    Cheers,
    and Happy Christmas to all members
    Colin Meiklejohn
    ####one of the best ships forfood and accom was the aldersgate ;;i think it was her 2nd tripto 7 islands in dec 60......ilived with my gran at the time but after such a short trip i had not enough money to go home the old man was a geordie like myself and althoogh the ship closed dow till jan2nd i think the old man sighned me on and paid me from the xmas eve we arrived in newport......the ship had no heating ......my xmas dinner was 2 turkey sandwiches on a dock side bar........but i cherished the sighning on in my discharge book dec 25......there wasnt a lot of them about........i am sure she was silver line....regards cappy

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: silver Line Info

I can attest to the excellence of "Looking for a Silver Lining"

I am ex silver line and bought this book about ten years ago. It contains a wealth of detail, history of the company, its ships its people, including one or two that I sailed with!

A great collection of photographs and ships plans, and a very interesting insight into the industry as seen from the owner's point of view, something us seafarers are usually not really aware of.

Highly recommended.

6. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Peter Ormiston liked this post