Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Work for the money

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Work for the money

A few years ago as a young lad I joined the Cubs and when old enough the Boy Scouts. In those days we could not join the Girl Guides but without realizing it then there was another branch which now fit in well, Queens Scouts.

Every year in Spring we had 'Bob a job week'. We had to do some task for money which went to the organization.

Do these bodies still exist and do they still have Bob a job week, though no doubt with inflation it is now the new fiver a job week.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Work for the money

Just have to pass over Bob to a Queens Scout. Fouro is pleased he is no longer a Fiver as would be a fate worse than death. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, that brings back a few pleasant memories, chasing the girl guides and trying to convince them we knew more than we did. one thing we can say on this site, is it keeps our brains active.
    regards, stan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I too was in the scouts until age 17,Held first class with cords.
    Hate to give you this ammunition. Was also a queen scout.
    Have heard that these days one can join the guides or vice verses. Depending on you preference.
    Wish that had been the case in my day. Although it would have taken all the fun out of trying to get a peep at the girls.
    Bob a job week was when all the cheap bar stewards could use you as a slave for a bob.
    Still can remember many times I went home exhausted with a bob for a days work. **##@

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recall my Scout days as well John
    Lots of fun and also some good learning curbs!
    Yes that Bob a Job was a good thing as we could help the Elderly or a small sum and they were always pleased tp give us something to do!
    I do believe that it is still going John as a few Years ago after it was not in force for some time it was restarted in the UK,and a few other Countries I know that South Africa still has it!
    Great days
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I do not know if the "BOB A JOB" still
    takes place,but if it does then I hope
    that the unions do not get to hear about
    Dave Williams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It may even be construed as child mistreatment by the do-gooders. I got my first job at 9 getting an old ladies shopping in for her, went on and advanced to a paper round at 10, worked for a shoemaker and cobbler at 13, and a butcher boy at 14. Thank God there were no chimney sweeps utilizing small boys in those days. Although do have an old photo of my grandparents and family standing outside of their home in Whitley Bay, in the background on the wall is a big sign saying Sabourn, Builders and Chimney Sweep. There but for the Grace of God went I. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2016 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As youngun I had stacks of jobs from about 10yrs old,paperboy ,for those that have a good memory from the north east I help a guy to deliver Tudor Crisps their factory was in Sandyford Road in Newcastle the chap I worked for was the same as I did the paper round for .His delivery van was an Austin ,deliveries were made in South Durham mainly in Teeside .Other jobs I had was delivering milk ,used to me old Jimmy at the Northern Dairies stables in town at 5 30 am waited till he got old Tommy the gallower yoked up the off went on his round ,must have walked about 3or 4 miles each morning. Saturdays were great that's when I got the odd tip a copper or two .Also used work on a farm sometimes one good thing about it all was I was always the lad with money but after all I worked hard for it.Partl of a great childhood it wouldn't be allowed nowadays would it .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##also helped the milky dave ...the horse was named boxer for the coop milk in shields ...mr p.....shall not give his name as his son went to sea same time as me.....always stopped at a certain house at about 10 30........he said i dont care if the horse runs off dont yiou come in the kitchen ......he always came out puffin a blowin.....i thought mebbe he had been beating the carpet for her ...or something.....but he then gave me the riens and the old boxer sometimes got into a canter going back for his feed happy days got 2 bob lot of money them days......cappy wagon master extrordinaire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall while I was working in the cobblers for a while after I left school at 15, every Sunday morning I would go down to our local small railway station, where I knew the manager of the local coal yard, and most Sunday's there was a coal railway wagon, I think 20 tons of coal, or coke, and I would shovel it into the timber hoppers, ready for the trucks on Monday morning. I had to climb into the carriage, and shovel it over the top of the sides, until I could get to the side door, which made it easier. For that I received ten Bob in my hand, good money when I was on 30 bob a week in the cobblers, kt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast