Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jealous, moi!!!!, too right I am

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jealous, moi!!!!, too right I am

Not only do Kiwi's have a beautiful country to live in but they can also make you jealous of their lifestyle for some of them.
    https://gcaptain.com/heres-what-life...Captain.com%29
    certainly fancy a bit of that lifestyle.
    rgds
    JA

2. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jealous, moi!!!!, too right I am

No matter how much you pay for your luxury cruiser, you've still gotta hoist that black tin circle or basket weave ball

4. Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graeme Hart has always owned a boat and all have been named ULYSSES. His first was a 55 ft long wooden vessel built in Brisbane from memory. He had this vessel surveyed by a MOT surveyor ( me ! ) as a commercial vessel. His second boat was slightly bigger and again I was the surveyor. However, as they got longer and went over 24 metres in length the survey had to be done by a Classification Society surveyor so I was no longer required. Pity, they were such beautiful vessels. Regards Peter in NZ.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3.. Peter my Niece and her husband bought an old Cray boat in Broome last year and done it up for private use for pleasure only. Not too sure of the size of the average Cray boat, and really haven't taken too much notice of in case I was asked to do something on her. They brought it down to Dongera where it has a mooring, and bring it down to Perth during the summer to fish off and do a bit of diving. How do pleasure craft of this size do as regards classification and survey. I know every inshore passage I made on commercial vessels had to report in to Canberra at fixed times to AMSA, do the likes of as mentioned have rules the same as a commercial vessel. I had a half cabined boat but only used it on inland waters and only had to have a boat skippers licence. No inspections as regards seaworthiness or any other certification. As regards the ex Cray boat have seen pictures of it and seems a big substantial vessel they even have a large spa bath on board seating about 10 I am told. A poor mans luxury yacht by the sounds of it. As far as I know they got nautical advice when being handed over, but never mention anything else as regards the working of the boat which they do themselves and apart from being aground a couple of times and a couple of engine problems, which he being a motor mechanic by trade was able to fix, he also has a fleet of lorries with the same SAAB engines so is familiar with. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th September 2016 at 02:53 AM.

8. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I lived in NZ twice once for 15 years then twelve years ago for five, I'm going to send a letter to John Keys the PM as I never had anything like that.
    Cheers Des.

flag.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 John, In NZ a private non commercial vessel is just that, private property that can go anywhere, with anyone at any time. However once they are over 24 metres Overall Length then rules and regulations and registration become issues. When I was working full time I was registered as a ship surveyor with MNZ ( Maritime New Zealand ) They dictated what vessels I was allowed to survey. In the UK the regulatory authority was the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, in OZ it is AMSA, all with very similar regulations. In passing I have to say that I have met a number of AMSA surveyors and was always impressed with their professional approach to a very difficult occupation. Regards Peter in NZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AMSA do the larger certificate structure which used to be for the Deck, Master, Mate and 2nd mate. But for the likes of master 4 and 5, and I think 6, the only way I can equate with these certs is like the old master and mate Home trade, which I doubt very much are up to the standard of such, today. In fact when they first brought these numbered certs. out there was a period when there were no examinations for such, before everything appeared to once again get organized. I wouldnt be surprised to learn that this was under the EU guide lines so that all EU countries appeared to be on the same page. The lower of these certs. in Australia do not I believe come out via AMSA surveyors and are not federal but are issued through the different States maritime services. I haven't really seen one so don't know what they say, however have seen my own master 1 which have often said looks like its out of a corn flakes packet and compared to the old British cert. looks like the country of origin is insolvent. I think the AMSA regulations however regarding ships of whatever type must adhere to the reporting in system to Canberra otherwise the whole system would be useless. When referring to certs and cereal packets I am of course referring to the British version. The Australian version never changed much on my last up date. The crews on Australian crewed vessels where deck courses involved a lot of bridge work, such as Radar watches, basic navigation, and a few others, so would imagine they would have little problem in sitting for the equivilant 2nd Mates cert of today, and know of two who have done so since I retired. They did a 6 months course at the Tasmanian Nautical College all paid for by the Maritime Union. New Entrants to the sea going fraternity used to go on half wages for their first 6 months at sea and thereafter on full wages. For an IR (AB) was about 64000 dollars on the year I am talking about which meant 32000 dollars for a trainee. An IR was an integrated rating referred to in British ships as a GP General Purpose. When I refer to 6 months at a nautical college I am also referring to crews in general, in my time on the coast here as most term it, to get the IR cert. the MUA funded all seamen to go and get. This was about 20 years ago now. Sea time then was 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off....On offshore Agreements. PS Peter just talking to my Niece and she reckons her boat is 42 metres long with a 2 metre marlin board at the stern so is 44 metres long, so when tying up have to look for quay space of 44.1 metres ????? JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th September 2016 at 06:39 AM.

12. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the quirkes here in Oz of boat ownership is that the requirements vary from state to state.

Here in Victoria it is fairly easy to get a licence, test is not that hard and boats of up to 15 meters have very little restrictions on them. But other states have different regulations making it very hard for some living close to a border.

Yesterday a guy went out in a 5 meter 'tinnie' not been seen since. Many forget the tides can change with a sudden wind change and many a fisherman has been caught out by it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should Never buy a yacht,
    always make friends with people who have one.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    You should Never buy a yacht,
    always make friends with people who have one.
    Brian
    Brian saw on the news this morning that Fleetwood people have the shortest lifespan in the UK, are you sure you want to move there?

17. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast