Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FLAGGED OFF

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default FLAGGED OFF

As I have indicated in earlier posts, Princess Cruise ships are registered in Hamilton in the Bahamas, and as they are a British Protectorate ships registered there are allowed to fly the Red Ensign.
    On deck 11 of the Sea Princess, as with most of the companies ships, there is a deck aft reserved for adults only. Good spot if you like the rear end, away from the hype of the pool area and only room for about 60 persons. It is from this deck that the stern Red Duster is flown when berthed quay side.

Most afternoons I would take my self up there with a good book and do a bit of sun bathing as well.

In Villa, Vanatua. getting ready to sail at 1700 hours. Sitting there watching the dock side action when at about 1600 hours a deck hand arrived to take down the Red Duster prior to sailing. What I saw was not a pretty sight I can assure you. He removed the flag from the halyard allowing it to fall to the deck. He then stepped on it whilst he secured the halyard. Having done that he then rolled the flag up in a ball, tied it off with the halyard end and unceremoniously dumped it in a deck locker.
    I knew from looking earlier that the locker contained mops, buckets, deck scrubbers and other cleaning materials.
    The following day preparing to leave Noumea he repeated the process.

Returning to our cabin with my customary 1700 hours sundowner I sat on the balcony thinking about what I had whitnesed. Having drunk the beer I knew there was only one thing for it, get another pint. Whilst supping this one I took a piece of paper marked 'Customer comments' and wrote the following.

"I have just seen the Red Ensign, on the stern deck 11, treated in amost disgusting manner, rolled up like a rag and dumped in a cleaning locker. This has occured not once, but twice ,that I have seen. Are you aware that during WW2 over 30,000 unarmed civilians in the British Merchant Navy gave their lives under that flag so that you and I could have freedom. Do you think the Royal Navy would allow the White Ensign to be treated in this manner? The flag, as with all flags deserves, and indeed demands, respect. It is about time this one was shown some!"

I then took the letter to the Pursers deck, now known as the service counter, telling the lady behing it, this is a complaint and must be taken to the Staff Captain. As an aside they now have Staff Cheif engineers. That was Wednesday evening.

Friday, the last of the cruise ,the captain, a very aminable Englishman by the name of Greig Street, announced that at 1300 hours the Third Officer would be holding an information session in the theatre about the ships navigation equipment, he would also answer questions.
    I attended, and during the presentation, complete with slide show, he indicated that one of his responsibilites was looking after the flag locker to ensue all flags were available and in good order.
    At the end of the talk I along with a few other men went to speak with him. I asked the question, having told him of the situation, why is the flag being treated in this manner? Two of the men then asked the same question, both having served in the Army and were astounded that any flag would be treated thus, congratulating me on bringing up the subject. The officer, a young guy of about 30 from Scotland could not answer my question but assured me he would investigate. I could see by the look on his face and his manner he was not impressed.

I returned to the cabin to get a few bits when the phone rang, it was the Purser asking if I would be so good as to attend her office?

I arrived there to be greeted by her and a Canadian man who told me he was the ship's Bosun. They had been sent to see me by the Staff Captain who when having read my letter hit the roof according to the Bosun. When it hits the fan it is not always evenly distributed.

The Staff Captain had then issued orders that ALL deck hands had to be instructed in the correct manner of flag management. I recieved a sincere appology from the Bosun saying he was also very saddened by the events.

I returned to the aft deck to look and sure enough the flag was no longer in the locker.

My conclusions, it has happened before and will do so again. But this time the Captain was angry for two reasons, it had happened, that was bad enough, but it had been seen and reported by a passenger, a far bigger sin in the eyes of the Captain.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flagged OFF

Good on you very well done

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flagged Off

Hear! Hear! well done

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Flag

John, the flag of the Bahamas although a red ensign, is not for arguments sake the Red Ensign of the UK. Is the national flag of the Bahamas, and like others has a badge in the corner of the flag differentiating it from the UK flag as such. Thus excempting it from various rules and regulations which used to exist, whether they do or not now wouldnt know. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flagged Off

John, have seen vessels registered in the Bahamas flying the Red Ensign without any badges in the corner, just the good ole R.E.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flags

They are breaking the law then Ivan. If they are registered in the Bahamas they should by law be flying the flag of that country. However as you say maybe they dont know or dont care, as flag etiquette is nowadays non existant, I cannot see any authority enforcing. Maybe the Bahamas being more American than anything these days one is just told to be quite. You would not see an Australian ship flying the Red Duster as such, it would be the Red ensign of Australia. Cheers John Sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th January 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you got your islands muddled up a bit, its Bermuda your talking about, which has Hamilton as its capital.

Cheers

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The flag of the Bahamas is not either the Union Flag, nor the Red Ensign on ships, it is a multi coloured flag, which I can't post, sorry!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flagged Off

Got us there Ron, of course it should have read Bermuda instead of Bahamas, should have known better, knowing Hamilton from my PSNC days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Like your style John. Good one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast