Thread: Did anyone know my father?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Did anyone know my father?

I would like to contact anybody who knew or sailed with my late father, Captain John Campbell Allan. He spent most of his working life with the Ben Line and by all accounts was a well respected Captain. If you have any information, however anecdotal, please let me know. Thank you, Ian m Allan.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Frankly, No!

Hopefully, others on board will assist - Frankly, my reply is negative: I did not know him, but will make some enquiries. Again, hopefully, all will help if pos. K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!

Hi Ian
    Welcome to the site,and i hope that you soon get some ingo on your late Dad!
    If you can add a bit more info such as DOB and place of Birth,it wouls assist others as well!
    Cheers

PS This is just a stab in the dark,but could one of these perhaps be his Seamans Pouch?? You may know by tyhe DOB shown!

R669078 ALLAN J M C 05/05/1939 GLASGOW (Initials not J C but could have another as well??) or

R689109 ALLAN J C 25/01/1935 GLASGOW

R773577 ALLAN J C 04/10/1939 DOUGLAS ISLE OF MAN
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain J C Allan

My late father was born in Glasgow on 18th December 1916. He was already promoted to Captain before WW2. I remember visiting many Ben Line Ships with him at Grangemouth docks in the mid sixties. He died on 5th December 1986.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ian
    I had the pleasure of sailing with your father J.C.Allan (Affectionately known as Jake behind his back) I was his steward on 3 Ben line boats.
    Benvenue Oct 1957-March 1958
    Bencluech May 1961-Oct 1961
    Benreoch Nov1962- Jan 1962
    As you say he was well respected Master.My memory of him was strongly reprimanding two young officers at the Xmas lunch for the catering staff.As was the tradition(was this just the Ben line?)after the officers were served Xmas lunch they in turn served the catering staff and done the washing up.Two of the of young officers had a bit too much to drink and were mucking about ,after being reprimanded the were sent to do the washing up.I have a photo of that lunch, unfortunately your Dad is not present
    Thanks Ian,your post has brought back many happy memories
    Regards John Allan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sailed with your dad on the bendearg in 1966 and again on the ben loyal at the end of 67 tugs
    bashed the bendearg against the harbour wall in hong kong had some divers down if i remember correctly no bad skipper norman parker deck crew.