Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cardiganshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Cardiganshire

Anyone ever heard of the Cardiganshire? My grandfather was a cook on this ship in 1924.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Hopefully this is the one:

LINK: Cardiganshire V SS (1918~1929) Salvestria SS [+1940] - WRECK SITE

Possibly a pic of her on this very site: Cardiganshire

K.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Gulliver Guest

Default s.s.CARDIGANSHIRE.....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post

Sorry ,but the picture in that link refers to the 1950-built Cardiganshire(ex Bellerophon )of Glen Line.

The pic required is attached below)-and shown in the Wreck site link mentioned above) and is the 1913-built one which later became Salvestria,after being converted to a whaling ship).She belonged to Royal Mail SP, Co. and was registered in Belfast.,owned from 1913 to 1929.

Kind Regards
    Gulliver

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Gulliver:

Thanks for that mate:

Attempted to help quickly,

HOPE ALL ON BOARD, WILL CONTINUE.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cardigan ???

Hi Jacyn
    Just a Link to a wee bit more info on that Ship!
    HMS Cardiganshire, WWI

I now am wondering if the name given to the Ship was taken from the place Cardigan where thousands of RAF Recruits were sent (me included) for their Initial Processing etc!
    Just a thought!
    Nothing to actually do with your Enquiry! Sorry!
    Cheers

Here is a Link of the same Pic that Gulliver has posted,however it is a larger version,which may help!???
    Cheers

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...nshire-05.html

NB The above about Cardigan is incorrect,and i have been informed as to the correct place now!
    The Memory is not waht it was! Oh Dear!!
    Thank you Keith!

It was in fact Cardington UK
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th September 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Error!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Shire: Ceredigion

Shire: would indicate the County, more so than just the Town or Lord etc.

My home town EG: is Barry which is in the County of Glamorganshire.

Ceredigion (Welsh pronunciation: [kɛrɛˈdɪɡjɔn]) is a county and former kingdom in mid-west Wales. As Cardiganshire (Welsh: Sir Aberteifi), it was created in 1282, and was reconstituted as a county under that name in 1996, reverting to Ceredigion a day later. In extent the current county is more or less identical to the historic county.

Vernon: Time has passed and may be a memory aid, could you be thinking of RAF Cardington, which is in England rather than Wales?

During the time of National Service, RAF Cardington was the reception unit, where thousands of conscripts went to be issued with their kit. The Paratroop Regiment were stationed there as one of the hangers housed the balloons from which trainees made their first drops. In 1954 RAF Maitenance Command used Shed No.1 for their rehearsals for the Royal Tournament.

Either way nice to remember and reflect and could pos post more info on either or both if required.

K.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks Keith

Hello Keith
    You are quite correct there,the Memory is fading haha!
    Yes indeed it was Cardington in England that i went to for the Initial Recruiting Sessions,getting the Medicals etc done there and also getting Kitted Out with all that gear! Making the Attestation Oath as well!

Landed up with such a pile of stuff,and had to get all that into the Kitbag!
    Bleedin heavy after that!
    Then a few days later on a Train down to Bridgenorth,to start our Basic Training for 8 Weeks,what memories! Cpl Nimmock was our Instructor,and a hard taskmaster was he!
    His famous saying on parade inspections.
    "You orrible little Man you,what are you!" To which one had to reply "I am a horrible little Man Cpl" haha!

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Raf?

Vernon, were you in the RAF too? How interesting. My dad was briefly with the RCAF as a Leading Aircraftsman when he married my mother and when I was born, returning to the merchant navy a few years later. And my husband is an aviator, specializing in building, restoring and flying vintage aircraft.

Thanks for the links and the photo.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Yes Indeed!

Hi Jacyn
    Yes as you can read by my previous post,i was indeed in the RAF!
    Did as said my basic training at Bridgenorth,then on to Compton Basset for Wirelesss Operator Course,after that we were sent to Innsworth to await Shipment to Aden (Known as the small Wars)on the old Dunerra,that was also her last Voyage as Troopship in 1961 to Aden,after that i believe was used as some kind of Student Ship!
    Funnily enough i also met my First Wife whilst in the RAF,was on a wee bit of leave with a good mate,who introduced me to her!
    Unfortunately that didnt last too long,and after i left the RAF,i lost contact with her,i then returned home to South Africa!
    41 Years later i found my long lost Daughter (my First Child) through the Internet,and a lovely reunion was had! Flew over within 3 days of talking to her on the phone!
    Spent 8 lovely Weeks over the Xmas and New Year of 2003,had a lovely time and also got a Bonus of an extra 2 Grandkids i never knew about!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Vernon

You found your long lost daughter after 41 years!!?? How wonderful. What a lovely story. You've just given me some renewed hope. I would dearly love to find my father, although he will be 81 on his birthday very soon so it's not very probable I will find him. I will keep hoping and searching as best I can though. Just reading the posts of all the mariners here somehow feels like it brings me a little closer to knowing him.

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast