Thread: Shell Tankers 1975-79

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shell Tankers 1975-79

Northern Star Purser's Bellboy, Wieslaw Kowalczyk, 1972 on mainline voyage to Australia and New Zealand, South Pacific cruising, then start of Mediterranean Cruises from UK in summer of 1972 .
    His nickname Shuey, worked for the Pursers Office, possibly for 6-8 months in !972, but got very sick during UK cruising and was landed in Lisbon to local International Hospital. When he was fit enough, he was sent by Air Ambulance to the Greenwich Seaman's Hospital, where I visited him. Almost 50 years later, I am still in touch with him, but he has lost his Discharge Book, Seamans Identity Card, and everything pertaining to his life at sea.
    When he recovered and released from Greenwich, he secured a job in catering with Shell Tankers. I have been trying to get him into the Springbok Estate owned and managed by Care Ashore, a facility for former merchant seamen.
    Unfortunately, but understandably, they require proof of his service at sea, but despite all attempts with Discharge Book Office in Cardiff, Kew Gardens, Inland Revenue, Shaw Savill archives in Southampton and Shell Tankers, there is no record of Wieslaw Kowalczyk from the period 1972-79, seven years of his life has been deleted from all records.

If anyone, can remember this young man or worked with him on either Shaw Savill or Shell tankers, can you please leave a message for me here.

Many thanks and a Guid New Year to all Seaman in active service or like myself, retired - May 2022 bring us a much better Year, and safer environment. Stay Safe,

Cheers Jamie Shedden
    Shaw Savill Society,
    Auckland, NZ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shell Tankers 1975-79

hi there,
    I had some issues with getting my seaman's pay records (1960 to 1963) In the end i had to write to the shipping records in NEWFOUNDLAND to get copy's of all my pay records from all the ships that i was on . It did take some time to get the results ,they were very helpful and patient No records are held in the uk anymore. there is a charge for their service.
    Hope this helps you with your mission to help this man .
    cheers.
    mike Osborne

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Mike
    Thank you for the info, however there are still records in the UK both at the NA Kew and at the Southampton Maritime Archives .
    I have not heard of getting Pay Records from Canada, i have had a lot to do with then in the past and so have many here!
    But all the Records i got were of my Discharges etc, these are all in the Crew List Section!

Crew List Index Project

Is there perhaps another Section that i do not know of that does what you talk of??
    Thanks again anyway, one lives and learns !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jamie, been giving this some thought and as mentioned finding a seaman's records not so easy as many were not retained. I thought the Inland Revenue might be of help but could find nothing to assist. While looking through their site I found this. Request your employment history from National Insurance records. I think it has to do with clams against former employers etc. but it may help to prove your employment record.
    Bill.
    https://www.gov.uk/get-proof-employment-history

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill
    Funny but great to see this Link, although i have looked before it never came up for some reason.
    For some time now i myself have been wanting Records of my past Employment when Working in the UK, besides the time i did at Sea , for which i do have my Records!

So now i am about to try and apply for those old past Records, wonder if they would still have them on File , talking about around 1957 Plus!

Would be interesting to get all Records for my Personal Collection.

I had managed to actually get my my National Insurance Number some time back, which was really good! As said all mainly for Keepsakes!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530