Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: hemisinus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hemisinus

I would like to talk to anybody who was on Shell tanker hemisinus while it was delployed for Singapore to Saigon run

2. Likes Carol Meres, N/A, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hemisinus

Hi Keith
    I was on the Hemisinus from 3.10.65 to 28.8.66, the last three months was spent on the Vietnam run,
    Regards, Alan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hemisinus

Hi Keith,I was on the Hemisinus from May 1970 till April 1971 as Extra 3rd Eng running between Singapore and Saigon. During that period I completed 48 trips [plus 2 to Bruniei]. Regards Brian.

5. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hemisinus

Hi Keith
    I was on the Hadra we were going up the Siagon river from Singapore with a cargo of Lub oil in May 1972. The Hemisinus was on her way back to Singapore. The ship looked very relaxed oviously used to the trip for most of us it was our first experience in a war zone quite the opposite.
    Fond memories
    Best wishes
    Richard Croft
    X Fiver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sparks

Must have been about 1976, right at the end of the war and my last trip for Marconi before Shell made an offer I couldnt refuse. About seven and a half months Singapore-Saigon, with a diversion to Danang just for a bit of exitement. The Yanks were getting close to their 'strategic withdrawal' by then.I think that must have been the end of the "Saigon Flyer" tag, as we then got sent off to get stuck in the ice trying to get to Anchorage in December/Jan. Gave that up and discharged in Seatle. Then down to Panama, where I got off at last. 8.5 months which was normal for Marconi at the time

8. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a Fireman / Greaser on the Hemisinus on the Singapore to Saigon run from April to August 1972
    lots of memories
    regards
    Mick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith, I wasn't on the Hemisinus but, we (on the AXINA) did the run with her for six months in mid 1972. She was in Singapore loading, whilst we were in Nha be discharging. Axina was hit by fire from the shore towards the end of the six months and whilst on leave, the Hemisinus was on the news at home, having also been hit on the run up the river. Something about an anti tank round entering the Chief Stewards cabin. Good job catering staff get up early.

Regards

Chris Allen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did serve on the Hemisinus as R/O in 68 but I guess not what you are looking for. I myself would love to recall which ship either the STS Hatasia or the SS Vitrina was the one that was RPG'd by the baddies just south of Nha Be in 66/67 , the pilot was on his knees with his head against the bulkhead and I was on the blower to the engine room for more revs. We were spared by the arrival of US minesweepers and gunboats bristling with Gatling guns. We won. Jerry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Adams View Post
    Must have been about 1976,...
    The war there ended in April 1975.I was just off the coast when Saigon fell to the VC.
    Cheers
    Brian

13. Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hemisinus

I was on the Hemisinus, picked her up in hamburg 31-10-66 payed off rotterdam 15-10-67, started off loading Curacoa, through the Panama few ports in central america back through panama anchored off when head butted by argie bulk carrier knocked down about 30 foot handrail and large dent in port side, inspected but no leaks so off to start the beginning of the saigon run. dont know how many trips but was taken off togo to new zealand back on the run off again to various other places then home via the cape as the arab war was on. The lads were flown to london from rotterdam and iflew to good old southend on sea. Had my leave then off to join the dreaded tar boat Partula but thats another tale

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast